Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 21 of 52

rk9152:   As far as I know, the Republicans do not have a plan to put people into homes they cannot afford.

Good. That was my point. Conservatives wank and whine over every policy put out by the left while their side offers nothing at all. Maybe conservatives should be asking their heroes why they never put forth any plans or ideas for anything except tax cuts for the 1% or sabotaging Obamacare.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 22 of 52
@mickstuder wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

As I have said before in this thread - the "Affodability" of housing, whether a single family home, condo or apartment, is more directly controlled at the local level where planning, development and zoning take place.  The same locality is also in charge of the property tax assesments and rate. 

So there is no need for a national plan because the priority place of handling these matters is at the local level.

Many of those things in Warren's plan involve trying to control what can and cannot be done at the local level - where the federal government has little say.

I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to control "affordability".  I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to open up new housing opportunities - the qualifications for getting a mortgage loan isn't changing.  Many states already have some down payment assistance programs for 1st time homeowners.  However, these pittances do nothing to get one out of paying PMI or the like; a lower credit score still means you pay a higher rate.

You know, we use to have residential roads that weren't paved - that would save money and tax assessment values.

As I said before, a dwelling that is close to some undesireable location is much cheaper all the way around than if it was located elsewhere.  In fact, the property value probably wouldn't escalate either - whether renting or buying.

What would you like to have, mickstuder?   Rent or Buy -  What do you want the Federal government to do for you as far as affordable housing?  And then how are ya gonna keep it that way - affordable.

Well that's a Great Question & If you remember I gave you a opportunity to tell me - and you declined - so I'll rephrase it & ask again

Warren your current Target is a Candidate in a Race that wont be decided for 1.5 years & she probably wont win

What I want is My Current President's Affordable Housing Plan - for some reason I can't find any details - so again - can you tell me My Presidents Affordable Housing Solution for me?

There is one right - a plan Trump designed & implemented?

You see I identify with those who voted for Trump because he promised to Drain the Swamp - he promised to rein in Wall Street & to make life better for those who would be candidates for - Affordable Housing - like me

There is NOTHING to be changed at the FEDERAL level - .  They cannot control local affordability that takes place at the local level.

Here ya go - Seattle has worked it out at the LOCAL level.

MSN Money 03/18/2019 - Seattle approves milestone affordable housing effort for dozens of neighborho...

Course some of the residents aren't exactly happy - but it is at the local level where any debate has to take place.

K5News 02/22/2019 - Seattle’s affordable housing plan draws strong reactions during public hearing

Our current Federal housing programs - VA, FHA, USDA, Fannie and Freddie, various state programs for giving a helping hand, especially to 1st time homeowners, also play a part in getting people into a home IF THEY ARE ELIGIBLE for any of these type subsidies or financing.

Low Credit score - no problem

Low Down Payment - no problem

New Hampshire Housing Programs

Once a person gets into a home or even a rental - controlling escalating cost to keep making it affordable is another issue but again, it is based on the local level - property taxes, gentrification, a heated up real estate market, keeping the request for more and more public-based amenities down to a minimum. 

So my answer to your question is the Federal government doesn't need any new housing programs nor do they need to stick their nose into any localities responsibility of planning / zoning / tax assessment and rates on property.

Like I said, I see no need for any of Warren's program - it appears to me that these issues are already covered under some government level program.

Do we need more public housing - maybe, but again, it is up to the local level to determine that and get the details together to apply for a grant.

Do we need more housing in these hot areas where there are access to lots of jobs, better school -

again, maybe so but it is up to the local governments to make such an inclusion into their planning and zoning; not the Federal government.

What in Warren's plan do you see as a benefit to you?  What's in Warren's plan that is not already covered by some level of government rules or programs? 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 52

As with any new plan, there are detractors, whiners, etc.    I don't know how many people here have reflected on their lives and have figured out that the current Senior generation had lots of different opportunities that are no longer available to upcoming generations.   

Had any of the loudest whiners read any detail about the plan?    The most significant detail is that it will be paid for by revoking some the of Tax Scam cuts that only 10K people will be negatively impacted, which is the uber wealthy.

How many people live in a city that has a projected growth rate that will require more housing?  Is there adequate infrastructure to support that growth, if not who is going to pay for it?   

As expected, many of the RW are ignoring the reality of what will happen in the future, all they are focused on is "self" and whining.    Weird, GOP is focused on ending social services, esp. for women, so expect an increase in population.   Where are they suggesting all these people live, especially as the GOP are fighting to keep these families living on $7.25/hour.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans...

GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

During WWII, only 1 million troops served in combat while the other 16 MILLION did not.

So "Military service" is a pretty extreme continium, from landing at Normandy or Okinawa to sweeping floors at Ft Ord while getting room, board, clothing and free medical plus a paycheck and weekends off. 

Your complaint seems to directed toward harming those you dislike, in this case the bottom 80% of Americans. Why is that?

The quickest way to affordable housing is higher pay, so raising the minimum wage will do it in a heartbeat - just up to the inflation adjusted level we had in 1968, $12/hour would do wonders, and restoring the tax structure that made us the greatest nation on earth would do even more as that would raise all workers wages by restoring their fair share of profits.

O.K. some got lucky and were not in combat but - GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 52

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans...

GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

During WWII, only 1 million troops served in combat while the other 16 MILLION did not.

So "Military service" is a pretty extreme continium, from landing at Normandy or Okinawa to sweeping floors at Ft Ord while getting room, board, clothing and free medical plus a paycheck and weekends off. 

Your complaint seems to directed toward harming those you dislike, in this case the bottom 80% of Americans. Why is that?

The quickest way to affordable housing is higher pay, so raising the minimum wage will do it in a heartbeat - just up to the inflation adjusted level we had in 1968, $12/hour would do wonders, and restoring the tax structure that made us the greatest nation on earth would do even more as that would raise all workers wages by restoring their fair share of profits.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 52

@mickstuder wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

As I have said before in this thread - the "Affodability" of housing, whether a single family home, condo or apartment, is more directly controlled at the local level where planning, development and zoning take place.  The same locality is also in charge of the property tax assesments and rate. 

So there is no need for a national plan because the priority place of handling these matters is at the local level.

Many of those things in Warren's plan involve trying to control what can and cannot be done at the local level - where the federal government has little say.

I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to control "affordability".  I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to open up new housing opportunities - the qualifications for getting a mortgage loan isn't changing.  Many states already have some down payment assistance programs for 1st time homeowners.  However, these pittances do nothing to get one out of paying PMI or the like; a lower credit score still means you pay a higher rate.

You know, we use to have residential roads that weren't paved - that would save money and tax assessment values.

As I said before, a dwelling that is close to some undesireable location is much cheaper all the way around than if it was located elsewhere.  In fact, the property value probably wouldn't escalate either - whether renting or buying.

What would you like to have, mickstuder?   Rent or Buy -  What do you want the Federal government to do for you as far as affordable housing?  And then how are ya gonna keep it that way - affordable.

Well that's a Great Question & If you remember I gave you a opportunity to tell me - and you declined - so I'll rephrase it & ask again

Warren your current Target is a Candidate in a Race that wont be decided for 1.5 years & she probably wont win

What I want is My Current President's Affordable Housing Plan - for some reason I can't find any details - so again - can you tell me My Presidents Affordable Housing Solution for me?

You see I identify with those who voted for Trump because he promised to Drain the Swamp - he promised to rein in Wall Street & to make life better for those who would be candidates for - Affordable Housing - like me

I don't know Gail's answer but try this one on for size - an improved economy allowing people to earn a home rather than being given a home?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 52

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:   Better than what "us all" - better than comparing rewarding the sacrifices of the GIs with the "I want it" of the program under discussion?

I asked a very simple question. Could you please answer it?

As far as I know, the Republicans do not have a plan to put people into homes they cannot afford. They learned the lessons of the housing bubble burst.

On the other hand they do have plans (which are working) for improving the economy thereby placing more people in a position to own a home without having someone else pay for it.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 52

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 52

rk9152:   Better than what "us all" - better than comparing rewarding the sacrifices of the GIs with the "I want it" of the program under discussion?

I asked a very simple question. Could you please answer it?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 52

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:   The returning GIs were rewarded for their service and sacrifice for out nation - that was their way of qualifying. Now the concept seems to be qualifying by being a loser.

So tell us all why the Republican plan is better than this one. Go for it rk. Smiley Happy

Better than what "us all" - better than comparing rewarding the sacrifices of the GIs with the "I want it" of the program under discussion?

Kudos
Views