Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 11 of 52

Does anyone else notice the irony in the need for a presidential hopeful to put forward a plan to make housing affordable?  

America is not working. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 12 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The best way to provide affordable housing is to increase people's incomes.

Since 1970, the connection between being more productive and earning more has been destroyed by Management refusing to share the profits with workers.

The "incentive" that kept wages rising at 96% of the increase in productivity for 42 years was the pre-Reagan tax code that prevented those at the top from keeping all the money they gave themselves. After the Reaganscam, they COULD keep all the raises they gave themselves, so they did, and all the increase in income went to the top 10% while everyone else got a smaller share of the income "pie".

Reaganscam also killed Revenue Sharing, so college became unafordable and we have a generation who cannot leave their parents homes because their student loans take more of THEIR income than our first home cost us baby boomers.

MAGA for real - restore equity in the distribution of new income AND REPEAL THE REAGANSCAM.

You do not raise a person's income by raising taxes, quite the opposite.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:   As far as I know, the Republicans do not have a plan to put people into homes they cannot afford.

Good. That was my point. Conservatives wank and whine over every policy put out by the left while their side offers nothing at all. Maybe conservatives should be asking their heroes why they never put forth any plans or ideas for anything except tax cuts for the 1% or sabotaging Obamacare.

That's EASY! They don't put forth any plans because they have none, having spent all their time on tax scams for the 1% and sabotaging Obamacare.

Of course they don't - as opposed to the Marxists of the Democratic Party they do not think that it is the job of the government to force the accomplished to buy a house for the non-accomplished.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans...

GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

During WWII, only 1 million troops served in combat while the other 16 MILLION did not.

So "Military service" is a pretty extreme continium, from landing at Normandy or Okinawa to sweeping floors at Ft Ord while getting room, board, clothing and free medical plus a paycheck and weekends off. 

Your complaint seems to directed toward harming those you dislike, in this case the bottom 80% of Americans. Why is that?

The quickest way to affordable housing is higher pay, so raising the minimum wage will do it in a heartbeat - just up to the inflation adjusted level we had in 1968, $12/hour would do wonders, and restoring the tax structure that made us the greatest nation on earth would do even more as that would raise all workers wages by restoring their fair share of profits.

O.K. some got lucky and were not in combat but - GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

SOME got lucky? That would apply to 99.3% of Americans during WWII. So they'd qualify the same way you qualify to vote - by being An American with AT LEAST as much honorable service as the ToadPOTUS.

Again, how does someone qualify to have someone else pay for his house under this plan? Voting is free, bad example.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 52

The best way to provide affordable housing is to increase people's incomes.

Since 1970, the connection between being more productive and earning more has been destroyed by Management refusing to share the profits with workers.

The "incentive" that kept wages rising at 96% of the increase in productivity for 42 years was the pre-Reagan tax code that prevented those at the top from keeping all the money they gave themselves. After the Reaganscam, they COULD keep all the raises they gave themselves, so they did, and all the increase in income went to the top 10% while everyone else got a smaller share of the income "pie".

Reaganscam also killed Revenue Sharing, so college became unafordable and we have a generation who cannot leave their parents homes because their student loans take more of THEIR income than our first home cost us baby boomers.

MAGA for real - restore equity in the distribution of new income AND REPEAL THE REAGANSCAM.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 52

Gail - Do we need more public housing – maybe

.Do we need more housing in these hot areas where there are access to lots of jobs, better school -again, maybe

I truly do not understand your “maybe” determinations in either case.

.it is up to the local level to determine that and get the details together to apply for a grant

.it is up to the local governments to make such an inclusion into their planning and zoning; not the Federal government.

Would not “apply for a grant” be a Federal grant? I think so. In your naming of  “our current Federal housing programs”, you did not include HUD who does provide Federal housing grants to states and local communities.

This is what the current president of the US consistently aims for:

President Trump Proposes Drastic Cuts to Affordable Housing Programs

Mar 11, 2019

https://nlihc.org/resource/president-trump-proposes-drastic-cuts-affordable-housing-programs

Overall, the administration proposes to cut HUD by an astounding $9.6 billion or 18% below 2019 enacted levels, imposing deep cuts to affordable housing and community development, as well as other essential programs that ensure basic living standards.

This is a good summary of Warren's Bill.

How Elizabeth Warren Is Taking on America's Housing Affordability Crisis

https://psmag.com/economics/did-elizabeth-warren-propose-paying-reparations

The law would generate $445 billion for the Housing Trust Fund (which the Trump administration has sought to wipe out) in order to support the construction and rehabilitation of some 2.1 million affordable homes. It would increase HUD funds for tribal grants and rural housing programs. All this spending would be paid for by dialing back exemptions to the estate tax; an analysis by Moody's Analytics finds that Warren's bill would be deficit neutral.

One economic fact that not many are taking into account is that when people live in decent, affordable housing their health care needs are drastically reduced.

What's in Warren's plan that is not already covered by some level of government rules or programs?

A better assurance for the “already covered” to continue that and with necessary improvements.  I paid cash for my tiny home. Right now it costs more than 50% of my income to keep living on this lovely, rural property.  With the small income I do generate, HUD qualifications for assistance requires those costs to be more than 30%. Taking into account the slow path of decreasing physical ability (and common sense) to properly care for this home and property, (the kid's freak out when I climb up to maintain 7 separate roofs - I don't yet  know if two or three delicious apple pies would be enough barter to have someone else clear two and a half feet of snow up there), the rent keeps raising as do all utilities. My concern Gail is that I have to face reality and make applications for housing assistance. Right now, five year waiting lists. If our immoral president and Repug. legislators have their way, I could be homeless before that time comes. I hope that answers your questions.  I am one senior of many millions who are in the same housing situation/crisis.  There is no "maybe".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 52

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:   As far as I know, the Republicans do not have a plan to put people into homes they cannot afford.

Good. That was my point. Conservatives wank and whine over every policy put out by the left while their side offers nothing at all. Maybe conservatives should be asking their heroes why they never put forth any plans or ideas for anything except tax cuts for the 1% or sabotaging Obamacare.

That's EASY! They don't put forth any plans because they have none, having spent all their time on tax scams for the 1% and sabotaging Obamacare.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 52

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans...

GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

During WWII, only 1 million troops served in combat while the other 16 MILLION did not.

So "Military service" is a pretty extreme continium, from landing at Normandy or Okinawa to sweeping floors at Ft Ord while getting room, board, clothing and free medical plus a paycheck and weekends off. 

Your complaint seems to directed toward harming those you dislike, in this case the bottom 80% of Americans. Why is that?

The quickest way to affordable housing is higher pay, so raising the minimum wage will do it in a heartbeat - just up to the inflation adjusted level we had in 1968, $12/hour would do wonders, and restoring the tax structure that made us the greatest nation on earth would do even more as that would raise all workers wages by restoring their fair share of profits.

O.K. some got lucky and were not in combat but - GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

SOME got lucky? That would apply to 99.3% of Americans during WWII. So they'd qualify the same way you qualify to vote - by being An American with AT LEAST as much honorable service as the ToadPOTUS.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 52

@Panjandrum wrote:

No hero, no whine and certainly no wank. But why should the government be in the business of giving people homes they cannot afford? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 52

@afisher wrote:

As with any new plan, there are detractors, whiners, etc.    I don't know how many people here have reflected on their lives and have figured out that the current Senior generation had lots of different opportunities that are no longer available to upcoming generations.   

Had any of the loudest whiners read any detail about the plan?    The most significant detail is that it will be paid for by revoking some the of Tax Scam cuts that only 10K people will be negatively impacted, which is the uber wealthy.

How many people live in a city that has a projected growth rate that will require more housing?  Is there adequate infrastructure to support that growth, if not who is going to pay for it?   

As expected, many of the RW are ignoring the reality of what will happen in the future, all they are focused on is "self" and whining.    Weird, GOP is focused on ending social services, esp. for women, so expect an increase in population.   Where are they suggesting all these people live, especially as the GOP are fighting to keep these families living on $7.25/hour.  

Sounds like you are accepting the fact that it is a wealth redistribution scheme and are trying to justify taking from some because they have too much and giving to others simply because they need it.

Kudos
Views