Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
509
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

509 Views
Message 1 of 15

@corb0505 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


Trump said nothing about the subject and that is fact.

 

 

In the post above is a quote of EXACTLY what Trump said.  And that is fact.

 

The IMF is not part of the SS discussion.

 

For anyone who is capable of reading what has been posted, it certainly appears to be.

 

One needs to understand the subject before they try and answer.

 

Couldn't agree more.  Try it.


 


Trump said nothing about SS. Just gave his stump speech which is 100% not true. Now all who understand the subject know that, and no matter how hard the far right tries they can not change that.

Once again the IMF is not part of the discussion, and never has been. Everyone who is cable of reading understands that.

If you could not agree more then you would be learning the subject before you reply and repeat your same errors.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
509
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
517
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

517 Views
Message 2 of 15

@john258 wrote:


Trump said nothing about the subject and that is fact.

 

 

In the post above is a quote of EXACTLY what Trump said.  And that is fact.

 

The IMF is not part of the SS discussion.

 

For anyone who is capable of reading what has been posted, it certainly appears to be.

 

One needs to understand the subject before they try and answer.

 

Couldn't agree more.  Try it.


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
517
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
520
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

520 Views
Message 3 of 15

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Perhaps you never read the report?


And once again we get the off-topic, immaterial and just plain WRONG scoutfacts.

 

A review is in order. A person posted a thread about the lead story in thew AARP Magazine. Scout then started this thread say, "The REAL article in the July AARP mag was about how Der TRumper will "save Social Security". NOT TRUE!  The "real" article was exactly what the other poster said it was.

 

Scout then made the usual inaccurate comments about Trump said, which once again were NOT TRUE. I replied, "What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they downgraded it." Which IS TRUE.

 

Scout replied that must be false because HE COULDN'T FIND THE IMF report. After being given directions he now posts immaterial points from it that I covered in the thread about the IMF report.

 

Let's see if I can make this simple enough for you to understand.

 

First, see if you can understand this one basic little fact: IMPROVING THE ECONOMY IMPROVES THE VIABILITY OF SOCIAL SECURITY BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE PAYING MORE INTO IT. That was the question AARP asked Trump.

 

In regard to your INACCURATE post about what Trump said, I replied, "What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they downgraded it."

 

Following is what Trump said IN BLUE followed by what the IMF said IN RED about about the U.S. economy. And by the way, AS I EXPLAINED in the thread about the IMF, they also makes social recommendations in addition to economic recommendations, some of which are mixed in with what they said about the economy.

 

Now if you are able to read and compare the two, they are, as I said, "very close." If you see ANY major difference, that is NOT a social recommendation, quote it and explain why you THINK what you say makes them NOT very close.

 

 

Trump (in regard to indivdual taxes):

The key to preserving Social Security and other programs that benefit AARP members is to have an economy that is robust and growing. For too long Americans have had a great deal of uncertainty in their lives, and the reforms I will bring to D.C. will remove that uncertainty and will restore confidence in the American economy. First, I will work with Congress to pass and implement a comprehensive tax-reform plan. Aside from dramatically streamlining personal income tax by removing carve-outs for special interests and reducing the number of brackets, we will also seek to eliminate the alternative minimum tax and the death tax.

 

IMF (in regard to indivdual taxes):

A comprehensive reform of the U.S. tax system should aim at removing exemptions, simplifying the system, rebalancing from direct to indirect taxes, and reducing statutory rates for individual....

For the personal income tax, the structure could be made more progressive so as to help mitigate income polarization and assist the working poor. This could involve capping itemized deductions, including for mortgage interest, to lessen the tax benefit for the most well off. Finally, as has been advocated in past consultations, additional revenues should be generated through the introduction of a federal level VAT and a broad-based carbon tax, including an increase in the federal gas tax (which has been 18 cents per gallon since 1993).

 

Trump (in regard to corporate taxes):

The centerpiece of our tax-reform efforts will be on the corporate side, where we will lower the rate to 15 percent, allow repatriation of offshore capital at 10 percent, stop taxing returned earnings from overseas that have already been taxed, and allow 100 percent expensing for businesses. These reforms will apply to all business enterprises, not just the largest corporate giants.

 

IMF (in regard to corporate taxes):

Reform of the corporate income tax is badly needed and could help revitalize business dynamism and investment. In addition to rate reduction and a streamlining of business tax expenditures, tax avoidance opportunities should be reduced by tightening income-stripping rules through limits on interest deductions. For outbound investment, the U.S. corporate tax system should adopt a territorial system but impose a minimum rent tax on the foreign earnings of U.S. corporations. There should also be a mandatory tax on the existing stock of un-repatriated, foreign-sourced earnings (with payment spread over the next several years).

 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
520
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
563
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

563 Views
Message 4 of 15

@corb0505 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@corb0505 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The REAL article in the July AARP mag was about how Der TRumper will "save Social Security". 

 

His plan? MASSIVE tax cuts for the Uberrich - back to Reagan 1985 - and even bigger tax cuts for business, a total elimination of the inheritance tax, and much less Government Regulation in the market place.

 

Seems Der TRumper thinks Reagan's Dribble Down worked so well for the last 30 years, he wants to put it on steriods and SS will be saved by all those people earning all that extra money.

 

...except its only the Uberich doing the higher earning and who will not contribute a dime of their additional income to SS while workers who will be supporting the system will continue to earn less and less until the system is broke and Der Trumper can hand it over to Wall Street to pick any remaing flesh off its bones.

 

No wonder a rightie wanted to divert attention from this to some vendeta against the folks who saw Vietnam for what it was - a worthless war we should never have fought.


It's SHOCKING to learn a new Conservative poster distorted the facts and misled forum Members.  Wait....no it isn't.  It's typical.  Best bet....a Fox viewer.

 


 

1.  Fonda is on the cover of the AARP Magazine and is the lead story just as the new poster said.

 

2.  As far as the scoutfact about "The REAL article from ther July AARP Mag," Trump and Clinton were interviewed for a story that is on the  AARP web site and a link to that story was sent out as part of an AARP Bulletin.

 

3.  What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they dowengraded it.  Of course, even though the IMF has some of the best economists in the world, you and scout should probably get with them immediately to show them the error of their ways.  I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

 

Best bet....Fox probably reported it accurately.

 

 


Trump proposed nothing but gave his usual stump speech which applied to everything, and would do nothing to help SS over the long haul. He can not produce anything he says in his stump speech so the fact is he does nothing at all for SS. FOX never reported anything accurately in its history other than far right nonsense.


Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Now do you have anything to say that actually addresses what Trump AND the economists at the IMF said?


Trump said nothing about the subject and that is fact. The IMF is not part of the SS discussion. One needs to understand the subject before they try and answer.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
563
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
578
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

578 Views
Message 5 of 15

corbo - you mean the IMF report that says: The statement emphasises that ‘reform of the corporate income tax is badly needed’. It goes on to say that the corporate tax system should ‘adopt a territorial system but impose a minimum rent tax on the foreign earnings of US corporations. There should also be a mandatory tax on the existing stock of unrepatriated, foreign-sourced earnings.’

 

Then goes on to say:

The IMF’s staff recommends the following policy actions to alleviate these long-running supply side issues:

Increase state and federal infrastructure investment.

Adopt comprehensive skills-based immigration reform.

Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit combined with an increase in the federal minimum wage.

Upgrade social programs for the nonworking poor.

Deepen and improve family-friendly benefits including paid family leave and childcare assistance.

• Increase funding for training programs, vocational partnerships, and early childhood education. Raise the effectiveness of spending on science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs.

 

Despite the ongoing expansion, the U.S. faces a confluence of forces that will weigh on the prospects for continued gains in economic well being. A rising share of the U.S. labor force is shifting into retirement, basic infrastructure is crumbling, productivity gains are scanty, and labor markets and businesses appear less adept at reallocating human and physical capital. These growing headwinds are overlaid by pernicious secular trends in income: labor’s share of income is around 5 percent lower today than it was 15 years ago, the middle class has shrunk to its smallest size in the last 30 years, the income and wealth distribution are increasingly polarized, and poverty has risen.

 

Adopt family-friendly benefits, particularly as a policy lever to slow the downward trend in female labor force participation. These would include providing means-tested support for childcare and introducing paid family leave in line with standards in ILO conventions.

• Rework the disability insurance program to provide incentives for beneficiaries to work part-time (rather than drop out of the labor force).

• Finally, perhaps the largest effect on the labor supply would come from an agreement on an immigration reform that is skill-based, changes the underlying demographic trends, reduces the dependency ratio, and raises the average level of human capital in the labor force.

 

And in what was my FAVORITE section, IMF said:

For the personal income tax, the structure could be made more progressive so as to help mitigate income polarization and assist the working poor. This could involve capping itemized deductions, including for mortgage interest, to lessen the tax benefit for the most well off. Finally, as has been advocated in past consultations, additional revenues should be generated through the introduction of a federal level VAT and a broad-based carbon tax, including an increase in the federal gas tax (which has been 18 cents per gallon since 1993).

 

So carbo, why did you not  bother to include any of the above in your ill-conceived attempt to find support for dribbledown economics? Perhaps you never read the report?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
578
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
591
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

591 Views
Message 6 of 15

@Olderscout66 wrote:

corbo - I read through the IMF report and could not find a word about cutting taxes on the richest Americans or slashing corporate taxes or eliminating the anti-Oligarchy taxes. Those are Der TRumpers only recommendations, so how did IMF agree, or are you just making stuff up again?


 

1.  This country is a democracy and there is no such thing as "oligarchy taxes."

 

2.  As usual, what you say above has nothing to do with what Trump or the IMF said.

 

3.  Get somebody to help you and go back to the IMF report and find the section that starts with:

 

 Tax reform. A comprehensive reform of the U.S. tax system should aim at removing exemptions, simplifying the system, rebalancing from direct to indirect taxes, and reducing statutory rates for individual and corporate income taxes.

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
591
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
599
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

599 Views
Message 7 of 15

corbo - I read through the IMF report and could not find a word about cutting taxes on the richest Americans or slashing corporate taxes or eliminating the anti-Oligarchy taxes. Those are Der TRumpers only recommendations, so how did IMF agree, or are you just making stuff up again?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
599
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
610
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

610 Views
Message 8 of 15

@john258 wrote:

@corb0505 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The REAL article in the July AARP mag was about how Der TRumper will "save Social Security". 

 

His plan? MASSIVE tax cuts for the Uberrich - back to Reagan 1985 - and even bigger tax cuts for business, a total elimination of the inheritance tax, and much less Government Regulation in the market place.

 

Seems Der TRumper thinks Reagan's Dribble Down worked so well for the last 30 years, he wants to put it on steriods and SS will be saved by all those people earning all that extra money.

 

...except its only the Uberich doing the higher earning and who will not contribute a dime of their additional income to SS while workers who will be supporting the system will continue to earn less and less until the system is broke and Der Trumper can hand it over to Wall Street to pick any remaing flesh off its bones.

 

No wonder a rightie wanted to divert attention from this to some vendeta against the folks who saw Vietnam for what it was - a worthless war we should never have fought.


It's SHOCKING to learn a new Conservative poster distorted the facts and misled forum Members.  Wait....no it isn't.  It's typical.  Best bet....a Fox viewer.

 


 

1.  Fonda is on the cover of the AARP Magazine and is the lead story just as the new poster said.

 

2.  As far as the scoutfact about "The REAL article from ther July AARP Mag," Trump and Clinton were interviewed for a story that is on the  AARP web site and a link to that story was sent out as part of an AARP Bulletin.

 

3.  What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they dowengraded it.  Of course, even though the IMF has some of the best economists in the world, you and scout should probably get with them immediately to show them the error of their ways.  I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

 

Best bet....Fox probably reported it accurately.

 

 


Trump proposed nothing but gave his usual stump speech which applied to everything, and would do nothing to help SS over the long haul. He can not produce anything he says in his stump speech so the fact is he does nothing at all for SS. FOX never reported anything accurately in its history other than far right nonsense.


Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Now do you have anything to say that actually addresses what Trump AND the economists at the IMF said?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
610
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
628
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

628 Views
Message 9 of 15

@corb0505 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The REAL article in the July AARP mag was about how Der TRumper will "save Social Security". 

 

His plan? MASSIVE tax cuts for the Uberrich - back to Reagan 1985 - and even bigger tax cuts for business, a total elimination of the inheritance tax, and much less Government Regulation in the market place.

 

Seems Der TRumper thinks Reagan's Dribble Down worked so well for the last 30 years, he wants to put it on steriods and SS will be saved by all those people earning all that extra money.

 

...except its only the Uberich doing the higher earning and who will not contribute a dime of their additional income to SS while workers who will be supporting the system will continue to earn less and less until the system is broke and Der Trumper can hand it over to Wall Street to pick any remaing flesh off its bones.

 

No wonder a rightie wanted to divert attention from this to some vendeta against the folks who saw Vietnam for what it was - a worthless war we should never have fought.


It's SHOCKING to learn a new Conservative poster distorted the facts and misled forum Members.  Wait....no it isn't.  It's typical.  Best bet....a Fox viewer.

 


 

1.  Fonda is on the cover of the AARP Magazine and is the lead story just as the new poster said.

 

2.  As far as the scoutfact about "The REAL article from ther July AARP Mag," Trump and Clinton were interviewed for a story that is on the  AARP web site and a link to that story was sent out as part of an AARP Bulletin.

 

3.  What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they dowengraded it.  Of course, even though the IMF has some of the best economists in the world, you and scout should probably get with them immediately to show them the error of their ways.  I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

 

Best bet....Fox probably reported it accurately.

 

 


Trump proposed nothing but gave his usual stump speech which applied to everything, and would do nothing to help SS over the long haul. He can not produce anything he says in his stump speech so the fact is he does nothing at all for SS. FOX never reported anything accurately in its history other than far right nonsense.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
628
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
634
Views

Re: The REAL article from the July AARP Mag

634 Views
Message 10 of 15

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The REAL article in the July AARP mag was about how Der TRumper will "save Social Security". 

 

His plan? MASSIVE tax cuts for the Uberrich - back to Reagan 1985 - and even bigger tax cuts for business, a total elimination of the inheritance tax, and much less Government Regulation in the market place.

 

Seems Der TRumper thinks Reagan's Dribble Down worked so well for the last 30 years, he wants to put it on steriods and SS will be saved by all those people earning all that extra money.

 

...except its only the Uberich doing the higher earning and who will not contribute a dime of their additional income to SS while workers who will be supporting the system will continue to earn less and less until the system is broke and Der Trumper can hand it over to Wall Street to pick any remaing flesh off its bones.

 

No wonder a rightie wanted to divert attention from this to some vendeta against the folks who saw Vietnam for what it was - a worthless war we should never have fought.


It's SHOCKING to learn a new Conservative poster distorted the facts and misled forum Members.  Wait....no it isn't.  It's typical.  Best bet....a Fox viewer.

 


 

 

1.  Fonda is on the cover of the AARP Magazine and is the lead story just as the new poster said.

 

2.  As far as the scoutfact about "The REAL article from ther July AARP Mag," Trump and Clinton were interviewed for a story that is on the  AARP web site and a link to that story was sent out as part of an AARP Bulletin.

 

3.  What Trump proposed was in fact very close to what the IMF later recommended to fix the U.S. economy after they dowengraded it.  Of course, even though the IMF has some of the best economists in the world, you and scout should probably get with them immediately to show them the error of their ways.  I'm sure they could use a good laugh.

 

Best bet....Fox probably reported it accurately.

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
634
Views