Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 71 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The original poster reposted a meme showing how a single mother with a third grade education encouraged/required her son to read two books a week which encouraged him to succeed. 

Yes, that is what the meme(btw, not attributed to anyone thus could be a copyright issue) depicted.

But the addition of DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES posted in RED, was clearly directed toward those of color.

Those added phrases completely changed the intent of the original post.

Yes, red is a color. But I don't think that writing in color means people of color.

Of course it doesn't, but adding the phrases DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES to a meme depicting a successful BLACK MAN clearly tells everyone at whom those phrases are directed.

O.K. to start with, the '"start them reading young" is a good message to PEOPLE.

Suppose a picture of a white PERSON was used - would you then scream "racist" because it's only about improving things for whites?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

Yes, that is what the meme(btw, not attributed to anyone thus could be a copyright issue) depicted.

But the addition of DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES posted in RED, was clearly directed toward those of color.

To the contrary the intent was changed when it was turned into comments about racism instead of being about the power of books and knowledge in advancing a person's lot in life.  You should read the autobiography of Booker T. Washington, "Up From Slavery" how he advanced in life through the power of knowledge gained from books.  It is a real powerful account.

I later posted a link to the original post so why don't you complain to them about using the meme?  But why would anyone be against encouraging the power of the published word of books?  That was what the thread was/is about.  Remember that one country attempted to burn books in order to gain power.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The original poster reposted a meme showing how a single mother with a third grade education encouraged/required her son to read two books a week which encouraged him to succeed. 

Yes, red is a color. But I don't think that writing in color means people of color.

Of course it doesn't, but adding the phrases DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES to a meme depicting a successful BLACK MAN clearly tells everyone at whom those phrases are directed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Education is one thing.

Victim blaming is entirely another. 

No one except those questioning the topic is victim blaming.  The original poster reposted a meme showing how a single mother with a third grade education encouraged/required her son to read two books a week which encouraged him to succeed. 

Then there was a barrage of accusations of racism, partisanism, etc.  And now accusations of victim blaming.  There is power through the knowledge gained from reading of books, and applying that knowledge, politics aside. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 125

Education is one thing.

Victim blaming is entirely another. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

No, I simply tell the truth. That has a tendency to receive KUDOS, sorry that trump supporters don't realize that.

Again, what does this thread have to do with Trump or politics?  Perhaps you have something about anyone of any skin color attempting to improve themselves through reading books or knowledge?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 125

@Soosie wrote:

@ChasKy53..............................can you point to the rule in the guidelines that states I would need to post a meme about a child from the Appalachian Region? I saw this and think it a great illustration as the Title suggests "that there is power in books."

It might do some good if some here did more reading instead of attacking other's opinions.  Over the years I have recalled tidbits I had read about decades ago, and they served well to solve some difficult situations or to avoid them.  Additionally I have enjoyed visiting the places around the world that I had read about when growing up.  I've found places on the internet where classics are available to read without cost.

There is much talk about racism here, but I'm willing to bet that very few has read books like 'Up From Slavery' by Booker T. Washington; books about George Washington Carver, both true pioneers among Blacks.  Or know of his quote "Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom.".  That seems to have been ignored in today's world.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 125

@Olderscout66 wrote:

the occasional success of individual effort does not excuse Republicans from supporting the new Jim Crow of unjust incarceration and disenfranchisement of voters

As far as I know, Dr. Carson has not been incarcerated or disenfranchised. So, what is your point - is or is not early reading a good start in life for anyone?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors