From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 41 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The success of Ben Carlson is indeed a lesson about the value of early reading in a child's intellectual development:

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU LET THE KID READ.

To the contrary, exposing oneself to a variety of views insures an open mind and one would be surprised at the benefits of opening up one's mind to many views.  This instead of blindly following a philosophy that actually enslaves.

I guess that's true if you consider having an "open mind" as believing falsities.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

A high-quality school system statistically does much more good than reading books for moving people out of poverty.

And better-off people are much more likely to blame poor people for their lot than vice versa. 

A school system is only as good as the willingness of the students to learn, and that depends upon how the teachers inspire the student to learn.  You forget that a good many of our leaders has come from average schools.  And from the quality of the teachers.  I have learned as much, if not more, from the one and two room schools I attended as from the well equipped ones, in fact more because of the attention from the teachers.  Yes, I am that old.

But you are completely forgetting that any school depends upon books for the information.  And audio-visual equipment doesn't stir the imagination as much as reading books.

But yes, poor people themselves has a responsibililty for their achievements, because if they don't help themselves whatever help is given to them is for naught.  Just as the old saying goes, 'God helps those that helps themselves'. 

The education you got, even the education I got, is completely insufficient for what today’s students need. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 125

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The success of Ben Carlson is indeed a lesson about the value of early reading in a child's intellectual development:

To the contrary, exposing oneself to a variety of views insures an open mind and one would be surprised at the benefits of opening up one's mind to many views.  This instead of blindly following a philosophy that actually enslaves.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 125

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Somewhere he swallowed some amazingly outlandish nonsense, and HE STILL BELIEVES IT.

Great example of why allowing things like FOX, Breightbart and Infowars makes it so easy for things like the KGB to elect a ToadPOTUS for us.

If you can avoid you litany of hates for a bit and concentrate on the issue of the topic - teaching a child to read early and encourageing reading is a great way to help him or her lift themselves out of poverty, regardless of race.

Can we agree on that and then discuss Fox, Breitbart, Infowars, the KGD and even the Reagan tax cuts and why DL moved to GA.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Evading questions again. Ben Carson's mother must have had Ben read a lot of fantasy books for him to have formed the ridiculous points that were listed. Do you believe the points that Ben made? If you do I can understand you not wanting to admit it.

The point is that Dr. Carson's success can be attributed to his early reading. As such, early reading is recommended to other parents. All the rest is about some posters need to interject racism and for their agent to look for a fight.

Let it go - we agree, early reading is a good start to a successful life - for anyone.

But do you believe the list of ridiculous points that Ben Carson made?

I believe that learning to read at a young age helped Dr. Carson to break out of the cycle of poverty - that is the issue. Do you agree?

No one has made an "issue" out of Carson raising himself out of poverty.

Well, it is the topic.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 125

Somewhere he swallowed some amazingly outlandish nonsense, and HE STILL BELIEVES IT.

Great example of why allowing things like FOX, Breightbart and Infowars makes it so easy for things like the KGB to elect a ToadPOTUS for us.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The original poster reposted a meme showing how a single mother with a third grade education encouraged/required her son to read two books a week which encouraged him to succeed. 

Yes, that is what the meme(btw, not attributed to anyone thus could be a copyright issue) depicted.

But the addition of DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES posted in RED, was clearly directed toward those of color.

Those added phrases completely changed the intent of the original post.

Exactly. If the meme hadn’t contained that, I would have ignored it completely. 

Yep, you're correct. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know/understand the meaning of them being included. I would have been silent on this topic if they had not been added.

"Yeah, me too" - and properly rewarded.

Yep, what was stated was proper and my agreeing was proper, thanks for noticing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Evading questions again. Ben Carson's mother must have had Ben read a lot of fantasy books for him to have formed the ridiculous points that were listed. Do you believe the points that Ben made? If you do I can understand you not wanting to admit it.

The point is that Dr. Carson's success can be attributed to his early reading. As such, early reading is recommended to other parents. All the rest is about some posters need to interject racism and for their agent to look for a fight.

Let it go - we agree, early reading is a good start to a successful life - for anyone.

I believe that learning to read at a young age helped Dr. Carson to break out of the cycle of poverty - that is the issue. Do you agree?

No one has made an "issue" out of Carson raising himself out of poverty.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:(in blue text)

The phrases "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" were directed at blacks and was racist in nature. 

What are you doing in being negative about Ben Carson's accomplishments? I have said nothing negative about any of his accomplishments. Why are you being accusatory and disingenuous about that? Are you  mistaken or doing it on purpose?  They are completely negative without giving him credit for raising himself from extreme poverty. Disingenuous once more. Why? You are saying he didn't do it  Disingenuous again, do you do this on purpose or are you just mistaken? and inferring racism. I never inferred racism, the words "DON'T BLAME" and DON't MAKE EXCUSES" did. 

There is no excuse for anyone not showing ambition and striving to raise their lot in life or in any pursuit. And no one here has said differently so what is your point?

I don't necessarily agree with Carson, his politics or even present position, but I do appreciate anyone who works to improve his lot in life. And most here feel the same way. I get the feeling that liberals want people who were in his position growing up to just take welfare and maintain the status quo. Yet another erroneous, accusatory and disingenuous statement. Why do have to keep going there?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Perhaps you should research more about Carson's life?  Yes his points are believable, first because his mother pushed him, requiring book reports that she herself could barely read.  Then he became interested in the material and went from a failing student to the top of his class, merely because of developing an interest in what he read.

https://www.biography.com/people/ben-carson-475422

From what I gather here from answers from you and others, there is no interest in discussion except from a negative standpoint because of partianism (sic).

I know about Carson's life and no one has knocked that. What was criticized is the poster inserting the words:  "DON"T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES". (maybe if that's repeated enough to you you'll notice)

So ............. the following points of Carson's are "believable"?

(1) Pyramids stored grain.

(2) If JEWS were given guns, they wouldn't have been slaughtered in the HOLOCAUST.

(3) He would not advocate a MUSLIM for PRESIDENT.

(4) People go into prison straight and come out gay.

(5) Obamacare is the worst thing since SLAVERY.

(6) Because of the "POLITICALLY CORRECT POLICE", we live in a GESTAPO AGE.

Are these "believable " to you because you read the same fictional stuff that Carson did?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors