From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 31 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

this is a political forum, it is about politics, and sometimes racism.

A political forum and 'current events'.  what his mother did with him 50 or 60 years ago is far from being a "current event", so it wasn't posted as a current event  But the topic is about the power of books, not politics it became both political and racist when the words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" were added. Any other discussion is off topic to the current thread. Just as you have been off topic most of the time in this thread.

I will have a nice non-political night as I have been. Great.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

this is a political forum, it is about politics, and sometimes racism.

A political forum and 'current events'.  But the topic is about the power of books, not politics.  Any other discussion is off topic to the current thread.

I will have a nice non-political night as I have been.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:blue text)

Your first sentence make no sense at all, must have a word or two missing. If you are going to continue to try and make this thread about other posters ..................... have a nice night.

Do you have anything to say about the topic title? Sure, but there is more to a topic than it's title. You might note that it is non-political. If it weren't for the phrases  "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES", you would be right but about a young illiterate mother who empowered her two sons to succeed through the power of learning from books and no one has spoken badly of that. 

You have mentioned  nothing in the entire thread about the topic Seriously, you must not have read very thoroughly but instead made it about politics this is a political forum, it is about politics, and sometimes racism. along with every other liberal who has posted in it. there ya' go attacking liberals again.  There is more to life besides politics then what are you doing here?.

Have a nice night.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Your first sentence make no sense at all, must have a word or two missing. If you are going to continue to try and make this thread about other posters ..................... have a nice night.

Do you have anything to say about the topic title?  You might note that it is non-political but about a young illiterate mother who empowered her two sons to succeed through the power of learning from books. 

You have mentioned  nothing in the entire thread about the topic but instead made it about politics along with every other liberal who has posted in it.  There is more to life besides politics.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

If you really want to play "Yeah, me too" with your client's silly question game, please start a topic and we'll see what happens. As to this one, early and continued reading is a powerful tool in lifting a child out of poverty - period.

Why do you keep arguing a point that everyone agrees with? NO one has posted against early and continued reading for children, or continued reading for adults.

Now, do you believe the ridiculous points of Carson's that were listed?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I guess that's true if you consider having an "open mind" as believing falsities.

And what do you believe falsities?  Any opinion that is contrary to yours?  So can you say that you have an open mind to respect that others have an opinion of their own?

Another thing I have noted is that you and some others have not said a word about the topic, 'the Power of Books'.  Instead they have been mostly along the lines of political partisanism. (sic)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Evading questions again. Ben Carson's mother must have had Ben read a lot of fantasy books for him to have formed the ridiculous points that were listed. Do you believe the points that Ben made? If you do I can understand you not wanting to admit it.

The point is that Dr. Carson's success can be attributed to his early reading. As such, early reading is recommended to other parents. All the rest is about some posters need to interject racism and for their agent to look for a fight.

Let it go - we agree, early reading is a good start to a successful life - for anyone.

But do you believe the list of ridiculous points that Ben Carson made?

I believe that learning to read at a young age helped Dr. Carson to break out of the cycle of poverty - that is the issue. Do you agree?

No one has made an "issue" out of Carson raising himself out of poverty.

Well, it is the topic.

If you really want to play "Yeah, me too" with your client's silly question game, please start a topic and we'll see what happens. As to this one, early and continued reading is a powerful tool in lifting a child out of poverty - period.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I guess that's true if you consider having an "open mind" as believing falsities.

And what do you believe falsities?  Any opinion that is contrary to yours?  So can you say that you have an open mind to respect that others have an opinion of their own?

Another thing I have noted is that you and some others have not said a word about the topic, 'the Power of Books'.  Instead they have been mostly along the lines of political partisanism. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The education you got, even the education I got, is completely insufficient for what today’s students need. 

To the contrary it dealt on the age-old basics of knowledge.  Those basics are the fundamentals and building blocks of today's world.  In many ways we didn't have packages of learning, but had to construct our own.  Today learning is handed to students on a silver platter.

I never had any problem with the education I received  with my military assignments in a weather related field nor when became involved in computerized data systems.  Many of the younger people did.

I do gather that you have something to do about gaining knowledge from books.  I do gather from negative comments from some that most objections to the thread is based on partisan thinking. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Evading questions again. Ben Carson's mother must have had Ben read a lot of fantasy books for him to have formed the ridiculous points that were listed. Do you believe the points that Ben made? If you do I can understand you not wanting to admit it.

The point is that Dr. Carson's success can be attributed to his early reading. As such, early reading is recommended to other parents. All the rest is about some posters need to interject racism and for their agent to look for a fight.

Let it go - we agree, early reading is a good start to a successful life - for anyone.

I believe that learning to read at a young age helped Dr. Carson to break out of the cycle of poverty - that is the issue. Do you agree?

No one has made an "issue" out of Carson raising himself out of poverty.

Well, it is the topic.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors