AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 21 of 125

The Regressives want you to believe if ONE person can excape poverty by READING, then there is no need for any Government aid to the poor.

The reality is they hate poor people - that is why every time they get the power, they make things WORSE for the poor, and claim they were helping them by "getting Government out of their lives".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 125
Posting and example of a black man learning to read early and often and then inserting the words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is the topic. Why wasn't a meme of a white person being taught to read early and often with those same words inserted by the author?.......................@chasky53................The answer to your question is so obvious..............It is because Ben Carson is a black man. If you have an undying need for a post of a white child, a green child or a purple child who read books early, then perhaps you could start a thread and post one. That would be good. I would like to see one of a white child reading young. I have photos of my son who is white reading early in age, but I would not post them on this site.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If you really want to play "Yeah, me too" with your client's silly question game, please start a topic and we'll see what happens. As to this one, early and continued reading is a powerful tool in lifting a child out of poverty - period.

Why do you keep arguing a point that everyone agrees with? NO one has posted against early and continued reading for children, or continued reading for adults.

Now, do you believe the ridiculous points of Carson's that were listed?

O.K. we agree that reading is good for kids. Do we also agree that saying it using Ben Carson as an example is positive, not racist?

As to "arguing a point...." - it is a matter of trying to keep you and your client on topic.

Posting and example of a black man learning to read early and often and then inserting the words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is the topic. Why wasn't a meme of a white person being taught to read early and often with those same words inserted by the author?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not partisan. Still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of whites do. That’s not about reading books or not....

It seems that the explanation you were waiting for was in the original post according to the original poster's comments.

It is because they BLAME and MAKE EXCUSES, according to the comments made in the original post.

I don't agree; however, that is what the original poster offered as an explanation.

That's not partisan but it is something else.

Exactly.   As I said many pages ago: You either think there is something inherently different between blacks and whites. Or you acknowledge that our culture treats people differently based on race.

Both are racism. Just different kinds. 

There is much in your comments. It is the racism of the left that insists that blacks are not capable and that keeps all to many of them them mired in victimology and dependency.

Being thought of as PEOPLE as post number one points out opens the door to success in the same way it does for any other PERSON.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not partisan. Still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of whites do. That’s not about reading books or not....

It seems that the explanation you were waiting for was in the original post according to the original poster's comments.

It is because they BLAME and MAKE EXCUSES, according to the comments made in the original post.

I don't agree; however, that is what the original poster offered as an explanation.

Blaming and making excuses is certainly not the path to success. So, might your "something else" be - "accurate"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough?  That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

There are only two possible explanations as to why black people have much worse outcomes in every measure. ( i.e. black people are poorer than whites, black people have less education than whites, black people have higher unemployment than whites, black people own far less property and have far less wealth than whites, and black people have much worse health outcomes than whites) there are only two possibilities.

1. You either think it’s their there there is something inherently inferior about black people that causes such poor outcomes. (Explicit racism)

2.  You think it’s not their fault, instead it’s something about society that is causing such different outcomes based on race. (Structural racism)

So......this meme tells PEOPLE to give their kids a boost towards success in their lives by reading young.

Do you disagree??

So ........ it also tells PEOPLE to liberate themselves from poverty by reading a a young age.

Leave it to the racism of the left to think helping PEOPLE to succeed on their own is racism.

The post you refer to, authored by a lib. You know libs—They spin, twist, turn statements, studies, books, etc. to arrive at assine conclusions. Most of the time peppered with copious false charges of racism, nazism, ignorance and on and on.

Any unbiased, functioning mind will read and understand the topic encourages a basic skill to be honed by all to improve their lot, as well as those touched by them. Dr. Carson a splendid example.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Exactly.   As I said many pages ago: You either think there is something inherently different between blacks and whites. Or you acknowledge that our culture treats people differently based on race.

Both are racism. Just different kinds. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The education you got, even the education I got, is completely insufficient for what today’s students need. 

To the contrary it dealt on the age-old basics of knowledge.  Those basics are the fundamentals and building blocks of today's world.  In many ways we didn't have packages of learning, but had to construct our own.  Today learning is handed to students on a silver platter.

I never had any problem with the education I received  with my military assignments in a weather related field nor when became involved in computerized data systems.  Many of the younger people did.

I do gather that you have something to do about gaining knowledge from books.  I do gather from negative comments from some that most objections to the thread is based on partisan thinking. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If you really want to play "Yeah, me too" with your client's silly question game, please start a topic and we'll see what happens. As to this one, early and continued reading is a powerful tool in lifting a child out of poverty - period.

Why do you keep arguing a point that everyone agrees with? NO one has posted against early and continued reading for children, or continued reading for adults.

Now, do you believe the ridiculous points of Carson's that were listed?

O.K. we agree that reading is good for kids. Do we also agree that saying it using Ben Carson as an example is positive, not racist?

As to "arguing a point...." - it is a matter of trying to keep you and your client on topic.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors