Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 101 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
‎0
2-05-2019 07:06 AM
ChasKy wrote in blue text:
 Why the hey do some people have to reach where the sun does not shine and pull something negative out?   That's exactly what I thought about someone having to post this meme. Perhaps, more should go read a good book Yes, perhaps more should go read some good books about trump and his history, then  there wouldn't be many trump supporters.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

A white person posted a meme of a black person and said liberate yourself. I didn’t bring race into it. It was already there.

The meme and post wasn't necessarily about one race, but about a mother who encouraged her children achieve through knowledge.  It was a poster turning this into a racial thing.  The meme could have been about a child from the Appalachian region who was introduced to books while in kindergarten, like me, that encouraged that child that there was a world out there.

Books transcends race. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Is there a need to turn something like this into something negative? Or something racial?  

It was already racial when the original poster added to a published meme(with no attribution I might add), the advice of DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES and, by use of Ben Carson's image, directed that advice toward one particular RACE.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 125
If I get your point, illiteracy is the key to success. ...........................It would appear that is what the poster thinks. Perhaps reading a good book is not an idea for some.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Reading is time well spent.

While, no doubt, reading helped Carson attain his chosen profession, how do you explain the following if he was so well read.

(1) Pyramids stored grain.

(2) If JEWS were given guns, they wouldn't have been slaughtered in the HOLOCAUST.

(3) He would not advocate a MUSLIM for PRESIDENT.

(4) People go into prison straight and come out gay.

(5) Obamacare is the worst thing since SLAVERY.

(6) Because of the "POLITICALLY CORRECT POLICE", we live in a GESTAPO AGE.

Wonder what "well spent time" gave him that knowledge.

If I get your point, illiteracy is the key to success.

Do YOU believe the points Ben Carson made above over and over?

I do BElIEVE that learning to READ early offers GREAT promise for the FUTURE.

You ignored the question you were asked. Why is that?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 125
‎02-05-2019 07:06 AM
So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough? That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? .................No Manic........................The post was meant as the title suggest, there is power in books. Why the hey do some people have to reach where the sun does not shine and pull something negative out? I had high hopes this group could actually be different one day. Guess not. I find it sad that seniors can't enjoy someone's success. Perhaps, more should go read a good book.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough?  That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

Is there a need to turn something like this into something negative? Or something racial?   There is power in books, why else did Hitler's Germany engage in book-burning of unfavorable ideas. 

Encouraging people to read transcends racial, political and economic boundaries.  Perhaps it might benefit some posters here to read more, not only those authors they agree with but those that are controversial to give them an insight into the thoughts of others.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

A white person posted a meme of a black person and said liberate yourself. I didn’t bring race into it. It was already there.

Why are black people disproportionately poor? They aren’t reading enough? But white people do?  Really? 

Was the advise not equally good for ALL people?

But to continue your point - why are blacks disproportionately poor? And, might the advice offered not help?

Why wasn't a meme posted about a poor rural white woman making her children read books? 

Oh .......... the poor rural white woman didn't force her child to read books so he/she grew up to be a trump supporter. ROFLMAO !!!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 125

ManicProgressive:  So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough? That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

Exactly. That's why us libruls just don't get it. I would never have dreamed that if black Americans would only follow the path of Ben Carson's mother they wouldn't be in the economic pickle they're in...............it's not institutionalized racism, it's a lack of reading. We just don't have the stunning clarity of insight that conservatives are gifted with.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough?  That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

There are only two possible explanations as to why black people have much worse outcomes in every measure. ( i.e. black people are poorer than whites, black people have less education than whites, black people have higher unemployment than whites, black people own far less property and have far less wealth than whites, and black people have much worse health outcomes than whites) there are only two possibilities.

1. You either think it’s their there there is something inherently inferior about black people that causes such poor outcomes. (Explicit racism)

2.  You think it’s not their fault, instead it’s something about society that is causing such different outcomes based on race. (Structural racism)

So......this meme tells PEOPLE to give their kids a boost towards success in their lives by reading young.

Do you disagree??

So ........ it also tells PEOPLE to liberate themselves from poverty by reading a(sic) a young age.

Leave it to the racism of the left to think helping PEOPLE to succeed on their own is racism.

Too bad more parents didn't get their kids to read books about trump and his history. Then their kids wouldn't have grown up to be trump supporters. Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views