Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 91 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Reading is time well spent.

While, no doubt, reading helped Carson attain his chosen profession, how do you explain the following if he was so well read.

(1) Pyramids stored grain.

(2) If JEWS were given guns, they wouldn't have been slaughtered in the HOLOCAUST.

(3) He would not advocate a MUSLIM for PRESIDENT.

(4) People go into prison straight and come out gay.

(5) Obamacare is the worst thing since SLAVERY.

(6) Because of the "POLITICALLY CORRECT POLICE", we live in a GESTAPO AGE.

Wonder what "well spent time" gave him that knowledge.

If I get your point, illiteracy is the key to success.

Do YOU believe the points Ben Carson made above over and over?

I do BElIEVE that learning to READ early offers GREAT promise for the FUTURE.

You ignored the question you were asked. Why is that?

Because they are a distraction from the basic, non-racist, point that early reading is a positive for children. Much like your comments about President Trump.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
ChasKy53 replied in blue text:

The meme and post wasn't necessarily about one race, but about a mother who encouraged her children achieve through knowledge. Turn your head to the truth if you like. Why was the meme posted about only a black mother and child? It was a poster turning this into a racial thing. Yep, the one who posted the meme. The meme could have been about a child from the Appalachian region who was introduced to books while in kindergarten, like me, that encouraged that child that there was a world out there. Then why was't a meme posted about a white child from the Appalachian region with the words "don't blame" ?.........................@ChasKy53..............................can you point to the rule in the guidelines that states I would need to post a meme about a child from the Appalachian Region? I saw this and think it a great illustration as the Title suggests "that there is power in books." My own son started reading at an early age. His Dad and I encouraged this. Today, he is a smart man and sometimes amazes me with all that he has read and studied. Books are for all people. The library does not have a sign that states only some can come and read. I visit mine regularly and hope if I ever retire, that will be a great past time for me. I regret that some in this group try to make something that is not there.

I didn't refer to  any "rules in the guidelines"  (the TOS) in reference to you posting anything.  I was referring to decency and fairness. If you encouraged your son to read then you could have posted a meme about that. Why didn't you?  Yes, books are for all people but you chose to post a meme about a poor uneducated black lady and a black man with the words "don't blame".  Why didn't you post meme about a poor uneducated white woman and man with the words "don't blame"? You should regret that in this group many can see through to your motives.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

A white person posted a meme of a black person and said liberate yourself. I didn’t bring race into it. It was already there.

Why are black people disproportionately poor? They aren’t reading enough? But white people do?  Really? 

Was the advise not equally good for ALL people?

But to continue your point - why are blacks disproportionately poor? And, might the advice offered not help?

Why wasn't a meme posted about a poor rural white woman making her children read books? 

Oh .......... the poor rural white woman didn't force her child to read books so he/she grew up to be a trump supporter. ROFLMAO !!!

Is it your point that it is not a good idea to get kids (of any race) started reading early?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 125

@Panjandrum wrote:

ManicProgressive:  So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough? That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

Exactly. That's why us libruls just don't get it. I would never have dreamed that if black Americans would only follow the path of Ben Carson's mother they wouldn't be in the economic pickle they're in...............it's not institutionalized racism, it's a lack of reading. We just don't have the stunning clarity of insight that conservatives are gifted with.

No one said it would assure success. But surely you  agree that it is a good idea.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So....this meme tells black people to liberate themselves? That the disparate national poverty rate, 8% of whites and 20% of blacks, is because black people don’t read enough?  That they don’t work hard enough? That they blame other people? 

There are only two possible explanations as to why black people have much worse outcomes in every measure. ( i.e. black people are poorer than whites, black people have less education than whites, black people have higher unemployment than whites, black people own far less property and have far less wealth than whites, and black people have much worse health outcomes than whites) there are only two possibilities.

1. You either think it’s their there there is something inherently inferior about black people that causes such poor outcomes. (Explicit racism)

2.  You think it’s not their fault, instead it’s something about society that is causing such different outcomes based on race. (Structural racism)

So......this meme tells PEOPLE to give their kids a boost towards success in their lives by reading young.

Do you disagree??

So ........ it also tells PEOPLE to liberate themselves from poverty by reading a(sic) a young age.

Leave it to the racism of the left to think helping PEOPLE to succeed on their own is racism.

Too bad more parents didn't get their kids to read books about trump and his history. Then their kids wouldn't have grown up to be trump supporters. Smiley Wink

Do you really want to dodge the issue, play the (sic) game, and collect petty kudoes?
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

It's not too much to expect anyone, from any background, to show some responsibility. I don't care what color you are, or ethnicity.

I agree with your sentiment in the above statement.

But the addition of "DON'T BLAME" and 'DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" and then applying that to a group as a whole changes your sentiment to something completely different.

if a child is not introduced to reading early, "don't blame" and "don't make excuses" makes perfect sense.

So you believe that people of color, who haven't been introduced to reading early, as a whole, make excuses and/or assign blame?

Why else would you think that particular advice from a WHITE person to a BLACK person "makes perfect sense"?

I believe that such advice from a PERSON to a PERSON makes perfect sense. As opposed to you, I consider black people to be people just like white people and good advice cuts across color lines.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Reading is time well spent.

While, no doubt, reading helped Carson attain his chosen profession, how do you explain the following if he was so well read.

(1) Pyramids stored grain.

(2) If JEWS were given guns, they wouldn't have been slaughtered in the HOLOCAUST.

(3) He would not advocate a MUSLIM for PRESIDENT.

(4) People go into prison straight and come out gay.

(5) Obamacare is the worst thing since SLAVERY.

(6) Because of the "POLITICALLY CORRECT POLICE", we live in a GESTAPO AGE.

Wonder what "well spent time" gave him that knowledge.

If I get your point, illiteracy is the key to success.

Do YOU believe the points Ben Carson made above over and over?

I do BElIEVE that learning to READ early offers GREAT promise for the FUTURE.

Maybe I wasn't clear.... do you believe to be true the six(6) highlighted points above that Ben Carson believes to be true.

Oh, you were clear enough - you'd rather not talk about the positive value of early childhood reading.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 125

The meme and post wasn't necessarily about one race, but about a mother who encouraged her children achieve through knowledge. Turn your head to the truth if you like. Why was the meme posted about only a black mother and child? It was a poster turning this into a racial thing. Yep, the one who posted the meme. The meme could have been about a child from the Appalachian region who was introduced to books while in kindergarten, like me, that encouraged that child that there was a world out there. Then why was't a meme posted about a white child from the Appalachian region with the words "don't blame" ?.........................@ChasKy53..............................can you point to the rule in the guidelines that states I would need to post a meme about a child from the Appalachian Region? I saw this and think it a great illustration as the Title suggests "that there is power in books." My own son started reading at an early age. His Dad and I encouraged this. Today, he is a smart man and sometimes amazes me with all that he has read and studied. Books are for all people. The library does not have a sign that states only some can come and read. I visit mine regularly and hope if I ever retire, that will be a great past time for me. I regret that some in this group try to make something that is not there.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

A white person posted a meme of a black person and said liberate yourself. I didn’t bring race into it. It was already there.

The meme and post wasn't necessarily about one race, but about a mother who encouraged her children achieve through knowledge.  Turn your head to the truth if you like. Why was the meme posted about only a black mother and child? It was a poster turning this into a racial thing.  Yep, the one who posted the meme. The meme could have been about a child from the Appalachian region who was introduced to books while in kindergarten, like me, that encouraged that child that there was a world out there. Then why was't a meme posted about a white child from the Appalachian region with the words "don't blame" ?

Books transcends race.  But this meme didn't.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The meme and post wasn't necessarily about one race, but about a mother who encouraged her children achieve through knowledge.  It was a poster turning this into a racial thing. 

Books transcends race. 

You may have been right if the DON'T MAKE EXCUSES and DON'T BLAME were in the original meme but, alas and alack, they were not.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors