Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 1 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
Trying to erase color and denying race is something white people (and only white people) do because they can (white advantage). People of color are reminded every day that they are “other.” Every single day........................................Suggestion...................quit reminding the people you know. I don't. We live together, work together and skin color is never an issue. Who the hey are you hanging out with? Don't know if you work, but if you do and you spend your day doing this, shame on you. As my Mom used to say, "The higher you pile a pile of @#%t, the more it will stink." Maybe some should stop adding to the pile and let it dry up.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? It’s not people like me talking about race that remind them.  It’s everything.

Just looking at the consumer side of things: Small sections of store aisles for “ethnic hair”’products. Instead of just intermingled based on function or hair type. Bandaids overwhelmingly in “flesh” color. Flesh meaning white skin tone.  Try finding a shampoo for Type 4 curly hair in a travel size.  Or as the complementary shampoo provided in a hotel room. 

Eurocentric literature selections throughout most of k-12 education. Nevermind history. If kids learn about Africa at all, it’s about ancient civilizations. Same for China and India.  Contemporary black Americans? Mostly civil rights related. Not just regular people like Mae Jamison.  

“Nude” pantyhose is for white people.  It’s not truly nude, of course. It’s the color of white legs.  

“Ethnic” food sections of the grocery store, if it’s available at all.  Why do I have to go searching for Ro Tel diced canned tomatoes in the Mexican section and not in the canned vegetable section? Korma sauce in the “world cuisine” section and not with all the other jarred sauces? Why don’t any of the chain grocery stores sell spices like black mustard seeds or sumac? And I live in a truly diverse community where one third of the residents are immigrants. I still have to go to specialty markets.  And I’m lucky there are speciality markets. 

I won’t even mention how people of color are “treated”

differently every day.   But they are “other.” Every day.

Yes, we do have sections in  stores that makes it easier to find what we want - rotten racists!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Yes, that’s exactly what you said. I stated I was still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of white people do. 

You copied and replied to my post.  And you said “the answer is mostly answered in the first post of this thread...for the most part ambition and determination.”

So you agree with me that the answer is either ambition and determination for the most part?  How much experience have you had in observing the relation of ambition and determination with those who have excelled and managed to pull themselves up to be successful in life.

From what I've observed over the decades, success in life is not based on skin color but on determination to succeed in a goal.

Why don't you tell what you think it takes to overcome circumstances to advance in life?  So far you haven't given any thoughts along that line. 

Do you think that 20% and/or 8% should depend on special privileges or assistance to get ahead or out of poverty?  Or that they should exert efforts to do so themselves?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 125

differently every day. But they are “other.” Every day.

............................Could be they are acting different. I thought you were talking about something big like being hit with a rock or being called names. All the time it is bandaids and tomatoes. In my case, I would find the exercise good for me to walk a little farther to find what I want or need.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

“Ethnic” food sections of the grocery store, if it’s available at all.  Why do I have to go searching for Ro Tel diced canned tomatoes in the Mexican section and not in the canned vegetable section? Korma sauce in the “world cuisine” section and not with all the other jarred sauces? Why don’t any of the chain grocery stores sell spices like black mustard seeds or sumac? And I live in a truly diverse community where one third of the residents are immigrants. I still have to go to specialty markets.  And I’m lucky there are speciality markets. 

Of course 'flesh' color isn't black, yellow or any other color.  It's been a long time since I've seen bandaids labeled as 'flesh' color but just labeled as the material used...even transparent. Historically the nation has been based on Caucasians.  Anyone with a knowledge of history should recognize that.  It is only within our lifetimes (especially mine) that there has been an awakening.

And it's not just blacks that are being recognized....anyone in a mixed race marriage would recognize that.  My wife and I, her being Asian, stand out wherever we go, even at Asian stores.  It works to our advantage mostly.  When we go somewhere people recognize us immediately, mostly with smiles.

As far as your Rotel tomatoes, they are located prominently on the shelves at our local Walmart, three shelves to be exact..separated by degrees of hot.  They are not isolated in ethnic sections but among the general grocery area.  We have no problem finding ethnic foods in supermarkets, etc., but we prefer Asian and international food markets because of lower prices.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So your explanation of hugely disparate poverty rates is that whites have more ambition and determination than black people do.

I didn't say that, and you know that, so why don't you quit attempting to twist my words?  I didn't say that blacks had no ambition.  I'm well aware of that because I have worked for blacks, worked with them and had them work for me.  And I've seen lack of ambition in people of different races the world over, along with those that are ambitious.

Your posts proves what I said in my previous one:  " I find that liberals here want to push their agenda regardless of the topic under discussion".  You are doing that in your post.

Yes, that’s exactly what you said. I stated I was still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of white people do. 

You copied and replied to my post.  And you said “the answer is mostly answered in the first post of this thread...for the most part ambition and determination.”

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
Trying to erase color and denying race is something white people (and only white people) do because they can (white advantage). People of color are reminded every day that they are “other.” Every single day........................................Suggestion...................quit reminding the people you know. I don't. We live together, work together and skin color is never an issue. Who the hey are you hanging out with? Don't know if you work, but if you do and you spend your day doing this, shame on you. As my Mom used to say, "The higher you pile a pile of @#%t, the more it will stink." Maybe some should stop adding to the pile and let it dry up.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? It’s not people like me talking about race that remind them.  It’s everything.

Just looking at the consumer side of things: Small sections of store aisles for “ethnic hair”’products. Instead of just intermingled based on function or hair type. Bandaids overwhelmingly in “flesh” color. Flesh meaning white skin tone.  Try finding a shampoo for Type 4 curly hair in a travel size.  Or as the complementary shampoo provided in a hotel room. 

Eurocentric literature selections throughout most of k-12 education. Nevermind history. If kids learn about Africa at all, it’s about ancient civilizations. Same for China and India.  Contemporary black Americans? Mostly civil rights related. Not just regular people like Mae Jamison.  

“Nude” pantyhose is for white people.  It’s not truly nude, of course. It’s the color of white legs.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

As written, "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is written below the image of a BLACK MAN.

Probably it was directed towards Caucasians based on the posts from liberals here.  Do you have anything against anyone from any race improving themselves and their lot in life through knowledge and education? 

Why do you keep emphazing BLACK MAN?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 125

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 125

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

It is because Ben Carson is a black man.

The words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is entirely applicable regardless of the skin color of the person.

If the original poster held the philosophy that you wrote, "The words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is entirely applicable regardless of the skin color of the person" then they would have written such.

There are people who see people as people and there are those who see race first and person second. The latter have to offer qualifications, the former does not.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not partisan. Still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of whites do. That’s not about reading books or not....

It seems that the explanation you were waiting for was in the original post according to the original poster's comments.

It is because they BLAME and MAKE EXCUSES, according to the comments made in the original post.

I don't agree; however, that is what the original poster offered as an explanation.

That's not partisan but it is something else.

Exactly.   As I said many pages ago: You either think there is something inherently different between blacks and whites. Or you acknowledge that our culture treats people differently based on race.

Both are racism. Just different kinds. 

There is much in your comments. It is the racism of the left that insists that blacks are not capable and that keeps all to many of them them mired in victimology and dependency.

Being thought of as PEOPLE as post number one points out opens the door to success in the same way it does for any other PERSON.

The “left” doesn’t think black people are incapable. Racist people do.  Anti-racists acknowledge structural, institutional, explicit, and implicit racism and seek to dismantle them all. And you can’t do that by ignoring race.

And yet it is the left that insists they are not people - they are different in some way and must be treated so. That sounds quite racist.

Trying to erase color and denying race is something white people (and only white people) do because they can (white advantage). People of color are reminded every day that they are “other.”   Every single day.

Color and race cannot be erased, they are right there to be seen. It is treating people differently (good or bad) because of their race that is racist.

Your insistence to not see color is racist and helps maintain white advantage. 

How can treating all people as PEOPLE maintain "white advantage"?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22