Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Power Of Books

Message 11 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

It is because Ben Carson is a black man.

The words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is entirely applicable regardless of the skin color of the person.

If the original poster held the philosophy that you wrote, "The words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is entirely applicable regardless of the skin color of the person" then they would have written such.

As written, "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is written below the image of a BLACK MAN.

It clear that the phrases are directed toward those of a single race.

It is also clear that Ben Carson is made out to be the exception, rather than the rule, for those of his race.

The original poster even goes on to say, " It is because "BEN CARSON IS A BLACK MAN"!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 125

@Soosie wrote:

It is because Ben Carson is a black man.

That apparently makes no difference to our resident liberals.   Their only purpose is to disagree with something someone other than a liberal would post.   The words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is entirely applicable regardless of the skin color of the person.

The posters here wants to blame and make excuses to further their agenda.  That is exactly what they have been doing in their replies. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 125

@Soosie wrote:
Posting and example of a black man learning to read early and often and then inserting the words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is the topic.......@chasky53

The answer to your question is so obvious..............It is because Ben Carson is a black man.

With the image of Ben Carson as its base, the addition of DON'T BLAME and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES by the original poster is clearly directed only toward people of color.

That is why it has become the issue of this thread.

It is clear that additional comments by the original poster expresses a philosophy of Ben Carson being the exception, rather than the rule, for people of his race.

That is so wrong.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

So your explanation of hugely disparate poverty rates is that whites have more ambition and determination than black people do.

I didn't say that, and you know that, so why don't you quit attempting to twist my words?  I didn't say that blacks had no ambition.  I'm well aware of that because I have worked for blacks, worked with them and had them work for me.  And I've seen lack of ambition in people of different races the world over, along with those that are ambitious.

Your posts proves what I said in my previous one:  " I find that liberals here want to push their agenda regardless of the topic under discussion".  You are doing that in your post.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 125

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not partisan. Still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of whites do. That’s not about reading books or not....

Of course some are being partisan.  Without getting into a sociological discussion, the answer is mostly answered in the first post of this thread...for the most part ambition and determination.  Books and education figure into this.  Did you actually read the link I posted about Carlson and his childhood?

I grew up on the philosophy that anything that was worth having was worth working for, I'm not sure what you are getting at but I've found that those of all skin colors that succeed  are those with ambition and determination.

My politics is mostly independent regardless of what some here think, but I find that liberals here want to push their agenda regardless of the topic under discussion.  Carson's mother is to be admired for pushing her sons into a pattern of reading in order to succeed.

So your explanation of hugely disparate poverty rates is that whites have more ambition and determination than black people do.

If people aren’t different based on race, like you all want to claim, but their poverty rate is....what’s going on? If it’s not them, it’s their environment.

And that’s structural racism. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 125

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not partisan. Still waiting for someone to explain why 20% of black people live in poverty and only 8% of whites do. That’s not about reading books or not....

Of course some are being partisan.  Without getting into a sociological discussion, the answer is mostly answered in the first post of this thread...for the most part ambition and determination.  Books and education figure into this.  Did you actually read the link I posted about Carlson and his childhood?

I grew up on the philosophy that anything that was worth having was worth working for, I'm not sure what you are getting at but I've found that those of all skin colors that succeed  are those with ambition and determination.

My politics is mostly independent regardless of what some here think, but I find that liberals here want to push their agenda regardless of the topic under discussion.  Carson's mother is to be admired for pushing her sons into a pattern of reading in order to succeed.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 125

Amazing...  The identity politics of the left shines ever so brightly on their own racism...  They accuse others of racism when they themselves illustrate this bigotry by their own actions of divisiveness.  Go figure.

Hey dimms...  It's 2019...  There is only one race, the human race.  When are you guys going to progress into the current century and act like it.  By the way, we're Americans...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 125

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The Regressives want you to believe if ONE person can excape poverty by READING, then there is no need for any Government aid to the poor.

No one said that. It is just a figment of your hate filled imagination. The thought offered excellent advice for anyone. For example, learning to read early and often might help a person know how to spell "escape".

The reality is they hate poor people - that is why every time they get the power, they make things WORSE for the poor, and claim they were helping them by "getting Government out of their lives".

The reality is that good advice was offered to the poor and you in your hate filled blindness are incapable of seeing that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 125

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

If you really want to play "Yeah, me too" with your client's silly question game, please start a topic and we'll see what happens. As to this one, early and continued reading is a powerful tool in lifting a child out of poverty - period.

Why do you keep arguing a point that everyone agrees with? NO one has posted against early and continued reading for children, or continued reading for adults.

Now, do you believe the ridiculous points of Carson's that were listed?

O.K. we agree that reading is good for kids. Do we also agree that saying it using Ben Carson as an example is positive, not racist?

As to "arguing a point...." - it is a matter of trying to keep you and your client on topic.

Posting and example of a black man learning to read early and often and then inserting the words "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" is the topic. Why wasn't a meme of a white person being taught to read early and often with those same words inserted by the author?

It was not a "black man" - it was a PERSON. Why do you have so much trouble dealing with that? Don't blame and don't make excuses makes perfect sense when discussing the pathway to success.

Now, since the left makes such a deal out of the disparity of success between the races, wouldn't offering the advice to blacks (as well as everyone else) be a positive thing?

You really should think a bit more deeply about these issues rather than just playing "Yeah, me too" with your clients' racist and argumentative positions.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 125

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It seems that the explanation you were waiting for was in the original post according to the original poster's comments.

It is because they BLAME and MAKE EXCUSES, according to the comments made in the original post.

I don't agree; however, that is what the original poster offered as an explanation.

That's not partisan but it is something else.

Exactly.   As I said many pages ago: You either think there is something inherently different between blacks and whites. Or you acknowledge that our culture treats people differently based on race.

Both are racism. Just different kinds. 

There is much in your comments. It is the racism of the left that insists that blacks are not capable and that keeps all to many of them them mired in victimology and dependency.

Being thought of as PEOPLE as post number one points out opens the door to success in the same way it does for any other PERSON.

The “left” doesn’t think black people are incapable. Racist people do.  Anti-racists acknowledge structural, institutional, explicit, and implicit racism and seek to dismantle them all. And you can’t do that by ignoring race.

Trying to erase color and denying race is something white people (and only white people) do because they can (white advantage). People of color are reminded every day that they are “other.”   Every single day.

Your insistence to not see color is racist and helps maintain white advantage. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22