How can you keep your personal information safe from online scammers on the dark web? Find out on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Poor And Elderly

Message 61 of 147

@MIsekerwrote:

@williamb39198wrote:

@MIseker

Unbelievable! Compassion apparently is not a universal feeling. 

And here being an optimist I was hoping that it was. 

no. One of those federal retirees has had some wide political swings over the years,

the other is an obstinate anti union neocon that believes in the supremacy of the dollar while having a good career paid by a policy of having a decent life too..radical things like having tranquility in your domestic life, a level playing field that promotes the general welfare etc, attacking the very principles he now enjoys the fruits of. 

I dont knock working for the fed, a career in the military etc, but lets look at the touted benefits for what they are. any kind of deferred payment plan ( like a retirement ) is a social welfare benefit. 

What I dont care for is the hypocracy, I got mine, to hell with the next guy, what i enjoyed and benefitted from needs to be curtailed now that im on the benefit end etc. Thats kind of a trait of the rwnj's here. a lot of us hit the job market at some point when labor was king, and failure to recognize the role it played in our welfare is..downright ignorant.

who has said, "i got mine, to hell with the next guy"?

and talk about "hypocracy" - how about calling supporting unions AND the individual worker "anti-union" - to the left, the working man is just cannon fodder to be bargained off

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 147

@rk9152wrote:

@oceanedge2wrote:

"Poverty shaming" in particular is the political group-think ideology practiced by those conservatives of the extremely malicious variety.

I have seen nothing that could e described as "poverty shaming" here. What are you talking about.

the fun you have at the expense of the 47%, for one. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 147

@williamb39198wrote:

@MIseker

no. One of those federal retirees has had some wide political swings over the years,

the other is an obstinate anti union neocon that believes in the supremacy of the dollar while having a good career paid by a policy of having a decent life too..radical things like having tranquility in your domestic life, a level playing field that promotes the general welfare etc, attacking the very principles he now enjoys the fruits of. 

I dont knock working for the fed, a career in the military etc, but lets look at the touted benefits for what they are. any kind of deferred payment plan ( like a retirement ) is a social welfare benefit. 

What I dont care for is the hypocracy, I got mine, to hell with the next guy, what i enjoyed and benefitted from needs to be curtailed now that im on the benefit end etc. Thats kind of a trait of the rwnj's here. a lot of us hit the job market at some point when labor was king, and failure to recognize the role it played in our welfare is..downright ignorant.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 147

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

That post was reported as inappropriate content and characterised as "a vile and unconscionable personal attack".

And what is the difference between my post and accusations because one choose a career in the military or government service?  And drawing a pension from the years they dedicated to doing so?  We earned our benefits.

And is one also to be condemned for a post-retirement career dealing in fluid power, bearings, and other industial(sic) goods with private corporations then drawing a retirement from that career? 

Then volunteering with area nursing homes assisting residents in getting to appointments, shopping, etc.? Is ambition condemned?

When your post said - "Pure jealously on the part of some to even bring this up.  And making excuses for poor retirement planning." - the content of that post - without any established factual basis - characterized the motivation of the poster - as well as made a judgement of the nature and quality of the poster's actions.

Yet another completely unsuccessful attempt to evade the issue. 

The initial post content commented upon illustrates an example of a blatant violation of the set of moral and ethical behavior standards that you claim to follow (!) - and persistently tell others they should follow - whether they share your particular interpretation of a particular variant of one of many belief systems - or not- to wit - "judge not". 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 147

@ChasKy53wrote:

The left would "love my plan" (hello). I would have the true postcard form income tax return with one line of rules saying pay to the U.S. Government YOUR INCOME * RATE (that you pick). A Flat tax would only be fair if it was on all earnings, not on just what is considered to be income. And then there would still be those who did not earn enough to pay federal taxes because you just can't charge those taxes on persons just above the poverty level, it will take food out the mouths of adults and children and clothes off of their backs. But of course many on the Right care nothing about that.

Any more words of wisdom? Any more words without wisdom?

Apparently you didn't understand my simple formula for income tax. It was income x tax rate = taxes paid.  Income was ALL INCOME. Again I repeat, the left would hate this formula (you included).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 147

@oceanedge2wrote:

"Poverty shaming" in particular is the political group-think ideology practiced by those conservatives of the extremely malicious variety.

I have seen nothing that could e described as "poverty shaming" here. What are you talking about.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 147

@williamb39198wrote:

@MIseker

Compassion is and should be an individual emotion, not something dictated by government and administered by bureaucrats.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 147

@alferdpackerwrote:

That post was reported as inappropriate content and characterised as "a vile and unconscionable personal attack".

And what is the difference between my post and accusations because one choose a career in the military or government service?  And drawing a pension from the years they dedicated to doing so?  We earned our benefits.

And is one also to be condemned for a post-retirement career dealing in fluid power, bearings, and other industial goods with private corporations then drawing a retirement from that career? 

Then volunteering with area nursing homes assisting residents in getting to appointments, shopping, etc.? Is ambition condemned?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 147

Thank you alferd for that entirely appropriate action.

The Shamefulness of Shaming

......Think of shaming as the verbal equivalent of slapping or hitting someone. The physical aggressor seeks submission through force (or the threat of it). The shaming aggressor seeks submission through an emotional methodology of intimidation.

......Shaming works with people who feel low about themselves, or who are easily intimidated. It also works with people of higher self-esteem who simply do not want a fight. What rational person really wants a fight? The shamer exploits either kind of person by using his or her toxic lexicon to wear the person down.

......There are only two reasons someone would want to shame. One, the shamer has no valid argument to back up his point; all he has is verbal intimidation. Two, the shamer might have some valid arguments, but does not know what they are.

.....The key to dealing with a shamer? See shaming for what it actually is: weakness. Not just moral weakness, but intellectual weakness as well.

https://drhurd.com/2015/11/02/the-psychology-of-shaming/

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 147

@alferdpacker

Sometimes the human condition has many faces, and some of those we may not like. 

Let us not forego compassion when we know that it is the right thing for us to do. 

Kudos
Views