Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The NRA argument about a good guy with a gun . . .

Message 11 of 33

@jimc91 wrote:

Concealed Carrier Shoots and Kills Armed Robber Who Held Gun to the Back of His Head

A concealed carrier in Houston, TX shot and killed an armed robber this week.
The incident happened at the Ruiz Cash n Carry store around 8:30AM on April 30th.
According to local media reports:

Works several ways.....http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Houston-McDonald-s-owner-fatally-shot-in-holdup-6751136.php

"Homicide Detective Phil Water tells Houston television station KTRK (http://abc13.co/1RioDV5 ) a white SUV pulled into the parking lot off Interstate 10 on Houston's east side, approached the store owner and someone from inside the truck tried to rob him. Water says Oliver was armed, pulled his weapon, and then was shot Monday morning when someone inside the SUV opened fire."

Would you be carrying your gun out in the open if you were intending to rob someone?  Or would you be keeping it out of sight until ready to use?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 33

Concealed Carrier Shoots and Kills Armed Robber Who Held Gun to the Back of His Head

A concealed carrier in Houston, TX shot and killed an armed robber this week.
The incident happened at the Ruiz Cash n Carry store around 8:30AM on April 30th.
According to local media reports:

Police say the store employee was about to enter into the store with a bag under his arm when a man approached him from behind and pointed a gun at him, demanding the bag, possibly thinking there was cash inside.

The employee, who also had a concealed handgun license was able to turn to his own gun, pull it out and fire four shots at the man. Two or three of those shots hit the man in the chest area.

“From what I gather is that when the employee went to open the door, the gun was already put at the back of his head, and so, I don’t know what words were exchanged, but at this point the investigation is still ongoing, they’re still talking to him (the store employee) and he turned around and saw the suspect had a gun.”

The suspect later died after being transported to an area hospital for treatment. The store employee was uninjured.

http://abc13.com/news/police-investigating-shooting-at-east-houston-business/688630/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY COMMENT:

I can't help but wonder if this would be robber would have pulled a gun on this store owner if he had been open carrying...

Open carry may have saved this would be robber's life.

VIMTSTL
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 33

@lk152 wrote:

This idea about a "good guy with a gun" stopping a mass shooting is bogus. A dedicated shooter with a rapid fire firearm would be able to shoot up an entire room before any "good guy with a gun" could get their gun unholstered and ready to fire. Also if a shooter spotted someone who looks like they might be reaching for a firearm, wouldn't they be among the first to be shot? 

Usually what stops a mass shooter is someone who takes calm quick action like the assistant football coach (who was unarmed) who tackled the Chardon High School shooter from behind and disarmed him before he could shoot others or turn the gun on himself. His heroism was documented on 60 Minutes a few years ago on that program. 

Now that you mention it, I remember that story on 60 Minutes.

Yesterday I was reading a post on a local news forum that was written by a retired law enforcement officer that was opposed to the Texas open carry law. He had a concealed carry permit, and thought that was sufficient for anyone who felt compelled to carry a weapon for protection. His point being, why would you want to telegraph to the world what you had and where you had it. 

Good post, thanks LK.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 33

This idea about a "good guy with a gun" stopping a mass shooting is bogus. A dedicated shooter with a rapid fire firearm would be able to shoot up an entire room before any "good guy with a gun" could get their gun unholstered and ready to fire. Also if a shooter spotted someone who looks like they might be reaching for a firearm, wouldn't they be among the first to be shot? 

Usually what stops a mass shooter is someone who takes calm quick action like the assistant football coach (who was unarmed) who tackled the Chardon High School shooter from behind and disarmed him before he could shoot others or turn the gun on himself. His heroism was documented on 60 Minutes a few years ago on that program. 

When congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot five years ago by a mad man with a gun, it was bystanders who were able to tackle the shooter and prevented him from killing more people. Unfortunately that shooter had a high capacity magazine that enabled him to spray the area with bullets before he had to reload and that was the break needed to stop him. 

The Chardon High School shooter did not have a high capacity magazine on the rifle he used. That enabled the football coach to tackle the shooter after only five people were shot (three fatally) and six shots were fired. Had that shooter had a high capacity magazine, many more people would have been shot and killed. 

There is no reason for any civilian to possess a high capacity magazine that can hold more than six bullets. High capacity magazines are designed to be used by highly trained military personnel in combat situations, not by civilians who are poorly trained and have other motivations for using them. Ordinary civilians are no match for dedicated killers or criminals bent on killing. 

When the second amendment was written and added to the constitution, the most advanced weapon available was a single shot muzzle loading long rifle that required skill and knowledge to be able to fire. The more easily concealed pistols of that era were highly inaccurate and only accurate in close range and were also single shot weapons. In addition when the second amendment, most of the United States was a wilderness and law enforcement was spotty at best. A homeowner or settler needed rifles and firearms to protect their home from not only bad guys, but hostile Indian tribes, wild animals and there was also a threat of a foreign invasion. 

Unless one is a farmer or rancher, there is no need to protect your property from wild animals. There is not much threat of a foreign invasion and we have a strong military to protect the nation from foreign invaders. There is no threat from hostile Indian tribes any more. In most areas, law enforcement is a phone call away and response times are usually in five minutes. 

I used to live in western North Carolina where it seems that every home is well armed with rifles, shotguns and pistols. Most of western North Carolina is rural and mountainous. The forests of that area are teeming with wild animals and there is also a strong hunting culture in that region. Yet there is very little gun crime in western North Carolina or home break ins. 

Perhaps the reason for that is that not only are most of the homeowners in that region well armed. But another reason is almost all of those gun owners are responsible gun owners. Children are taught how to respect firearms and how to use them. There is no fear of firearms, but a lot of respect for them as well. 

One of my favorite incidents from living in western North Carolina was when I was working with one of my sales agents near Cherokee NC. That region is part of an Indian reservation and the home of the eastern band of the Cherokee nation. It also borders the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and is a major tourist attraction. We were talking to a man who was a Cherokee Indian who owned a store selling souviniers and other trinkets to the tourists. 

The agent had just completed a sale of a rather substantial life insurance policy on the man to protect his business interests and family. When it came time to pay the first premium, the man got a Mason jar that obviously had been buried in the ground. He pulled out nearly $2000 in cash for the first annual premium on the policy. The agent gave him a receipt and binder for the policy. 

I asked that man if he keeps his money in Mason jars buried in his back yard. He said Yes and that he didn't trust banks. He said that he felt that his money was safer being buried in his back yard. He took me to the back door and his yard was fenced and patrolled by two pit bulls. In his living room, there was a rifle over the mantle and no doubt this man could pick off a squirrel at a quarter mile. In his front yard, he had a black bear chained to a post as a tourist attraction (who wants to go visit the Smoky Mountains without getting a photograph of a bear). 

Yup, that man's property was much safer than any bank. No one would come there to try and rob him. Between the pit bulls, bear and his firearms; he was very safe. BTW, the town of Cherokee NC as well as the Indian reservation was bone dry. Alcoholic beverages were prohibited there. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 33

@GlueGuy wrote:

Every month the NRA publishes "The Armed Citizen" with documented instances of people succesfully defending their lives, families, and property with firearms.  If you truly want to be informed, you need to learn what the NRA is, does, and stands for rather then asking uninformed questions!

I'm just a g-ma and I do not follow the NRA, nor do I wish to, although I have family that did in the past. Like many, they gave it up when the NRA turned from sportsman's club into a lobby group for the gun manufacturers. FYI...I learned to target shoot when I was a teen and my father taught us about gun safety. He was an avid hunter.

It seems to me that asking questions is one way to become informed. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 33

@GlueGuy wrote:

Every month the NRA publishes "The Armed Citizen" with documented instances of people succesfully defending their lives, families, and property with firearms.  If you truly want to be informed, you need to learn what the NRA is, does, and stands for rather then asking uninformed questions!

Been there done that, read those.

Haven't been an NRA member since the middle seventies, when they started on the path to becoming the deranged foaming at the mouth whackos they are today.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 33

Back in the 1960's when The Black Panthers began to exercise their Right to Open Carry the NRA had a VERY different position and actively opposed people wandering around with loaded rifles and shotguns.

That was BEFORE the nutters passed all those "Stand Your Ground" (aka "Shoot Your Neighbor") laws.

Do the nutters really savor the day their kids get to go to a highschool sporting event and half the "fans" on both sides are packing heat?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 33

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 33

Had to do some looking to find and a laptop, if you use Facebook.

One of my favorites for yes, a giggle is

GunFail

This is a daily, weekly or sometimes or monthly list of twits with guns.

Especially the one that completed a 3 hour course in gun safety and still can't shoot their intended target.

If you go through the years you'll find all NRA good guys with a gun, police, military, collectors, dealers,  etc. that have shot themselves or others.

A few decades back my instructors taught me to treat all guns as loaded, and ensure the gun was empty. Apparently this is no longer taught someplaces - judging by the above that shoot themseelves or customers repeatedly with their own guns.

I finally remember where the NRA used to publish their "Good Guys with Guns" list it was in the American Rifleman. Never quite posted the oopsies, or what happened after he became beligerant drunk with a gun. I'd really love to find the GOP Representative in Maine, that threatened to kill a Democrat at a Dunkin Donuts, while drunk and beligerant.

Haven't belonged to NRA since, Charleton went coocoo, and definitely refuse to give my dues to the new spokesman, MR  Draft Dodger Ted Nugent. They've just hit a new level of crazy.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 33
NRA used to publish in their magazine 3-4 good guys with gun blurbs per month, don't know if they still do. Try going to their webpage.

While I did belong awhile back , before Charleton Heston was spokesman haven't looked at them since.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors