Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Matter of Impeachment in the Senate/House

Message 1 of 39

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I will agree that the Senate will not impeach Trump. the Republican majority will not do that and many have become extremely afraid of loosing their jobs and they don't want to rock the boat. But my questions to them.|
Let's suppose that Trump gets elected in 2020 he cannot reelect himself after that. so what is going to happen to all of those that have followed this man over the cliff? what will this country do to them? Will they be able to re structure  their political careers?
Trump will not be here forever, eventually he will not be and I seriously doubt that anyone like him will get elected for a very long time.
so, they are putting their eggs in one basket. so good luck to them.

I've wondered about that myself. Surely the Republicans know that there will come a reckoning.

When I think about this my mind goes places I never thought it would go. 

"The buck stops here." Harry S Truman
"I don't take responsibility at all." Donald J. Trump
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 39

Every member serving in the House of Representatives at the time of the vote is eligible to vote on whether Articles of Impeachment shall be presented to the Senate.

If they are presented the Constitution mandates the Senate must hold a trial. Every senator serving will be eligible to vote at the conclusion of that trial. None are barred by a conflict of interest relating to elections.

This is how things are supposed to work but when it comes to Trump I think all bets are off.

"The buck stops here." Harry S Truman
"I don't take responsibility at all." Donald J. Trump
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 39

I will agree that the Senate will not impeach Trump. the Republican majority will not do that and many have become extremely afraid of loosing their jobs and they don't want to rock the boat. But my questions to them.|
Let's suppose that Trump gets elected in 2020 he cannot reelect himself after that. so what is going to happen to all of those that have followed this man over the cliff? what will this country do to them? Will they be able to re structure  their political careers?
Trump will not be here forever, eventually he will not be and I seriously doubt that anyone like him will get elected for a very long time.
so, they are putting their eggs in one basket. so good luck to them.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 39

Hi, Gail,

Unfortunately don't think it will ever go that far; there are too many white, male, racist, sexists Trump supporters; they'll buy additional arms, as an MLB umpire wrote, and cause a civil war.

I am old, caucasian female, not many years left, who would like to see the nation civil again but don't believe that will happen within my timeline.

I did indeed fight for impeachment of Richard Nixon, then years later found him to be an amazing statesman and Ambassador for the US. I could never see that for the current president, EVER.

Even if any current candidate had to recuse themselves, wouldn't any current republican need to recuse themselves as biased to the parth?

Just asking, as that would actually say dotard if so?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 39

Do you really think the Democrat Senators would vote any differently if they weren't running for office? If so, then you mat have a point.  Given that THAT is highly unlikely, IMO the point is moot.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 39

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The difference is the weight of the vote.  In the House, it is 1 out of 535, in the Senate it's 1 out of 100.....in a court, it's 1 out of 1 or possibly a few more.  There is far more weight to a "vote" by a judge....they should recuse themselves.....

I agree that in the House it is not that important because of the overall number of House legislators and only a few (maybe only one - I lose count) are running for the POTUS and also their actual function in the process. 

But numbers are critical in the Senate especially in their judgemental job in this issue.

Like I said - I am just asking cause I do not really know - We are in UNcharted waters here.

It could be just another aspect of these proceedings that would slow down the process since it could again enter the domain of the Courts for questions to be answered on this matter.

A timing slowdown is critical here in the overall process - I think the Speaker wants a deadline.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 39

Senators take an oath that they will support and defend the Constitution. Their job during an impeachment is clearly defined in the Constitution. Leave it to Trump supporters to insist that the Constitution be trampled on yet again to protect the P***Y grabber in chief.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 39

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 

I don't think that Nixon or Clinton were at this stage of an up and coming election.

Course, now-a-days, we are ALWAYS in an election cycle.

Let me put it like this - same thing I replied to ChasKY

I believe there are (6) different House committees currently working on the Impeachment Inquiry - Financial Services, the Judiciary, Intelligence, Foreign Affairs, Oversight and Reform, and Ways and Means - this is only an Inquiry but if it moves pass this point - to the articles of impeachment - if a majority in the House vote on it; the charges, so to speak - it moves to the Senate for the actual trial.

Congressional Research Service 10/10/2019 - The Impeachment Process in the House of Representatives 

Trial Judges often recuse themselves if there is a conflict of interest.  Could you see a judge - appointed or elected - presiding over a trial where they might be running for a political position the accused is holding and could possibly lose if found guilty? In this instance, impeachment, there is no jury - it is a trial by the judges. 

Those POTUS contenders, whomever they might be at that time, who are currently Senators (the judges) IMO should recuse themselves from the judging because they have a higher stake in the outcome.

The difference is the weight of the vote.  In the House, it is 1 out of 535, in the Senate it's 1 out of 100.....in a court, it's 1 out of 1 or possibly a few more.  There is far more weight to a "vote" by a judge....they should recuse themselves.....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 39

@Centristsin2010 

I don't think that Nixon or Clinton were at this stage of an up and coming election.

Course, now-a-days, we are ALWAYS in an election cycle.

Let me put it like this - same thing I replied to ChasKY

I believe there are (6) different House committees currently working on the Impeachment Inquiry - Financial Services, the Judiciary, Intelligence, Foreign Affairs, Oversight and Reform, and Ways and Means - this is only an Inquiry but if it moves pass this point - to the articles of impeachment - if a majority in the House vote on it; the charges, so to speak - it moves to the Senate for the actual trial.

Congressional Research Service 10/10/2019 - The Impeachment Process in the House of Representatives 

Trial Judges often recuse themselves if there is a conflict of interest.  Could you see a judge - appointed or elected - presiding over a trial where they might be running for a political position the accused is holding and could possibly lose if found guilty? In this instance, impeachment, there is no jury - it is a trial by the judges. 

Those POTUS contenders, whomever they might be at that time, who are currently Senators (the judges) IMO should recuse themselves from the judging because they have a higher stake in the outcome.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 39

@GailL1 wrote:

US Senate Select Committee on Ethics - Conflicts of Interest - Basic Principles - Prohibition on Pro...

• A Member, officer, or employee may not use his or her official position for personal gain.  See Senate Rule 37.1.
  • A Member, officer, or employee may not undertake any outside activity that creates a conflict of interest.  See Senate Rule 37.2.

The only thing I can find talks more about monitary gain - so I think we are in UNcharted waters here because we all know that there is more "gain" than just what is monitary.  IMO, you, for some reason think there is a "gain" without considering the fact that Rence running by default, and a relatively blank slate, would be a negative.

There are strict rules on media coverage in the Senate when the person is running either for that same office or another - so they would definitely have to consider that when giving interviews.

Are they acting as a Senator or as a POTUS contender?  Fine line, don't ya think?!?!?  Depends on the "strict rules" you referenced.  Seems to me this hasn't been much of an issue in the past when Nixon or Clinton was impeached....."it's always something" whether or not it's really "always something".....Sometimes we just want to really create something, when it ain't a biggie....but, there's no harm in asking, as you did.  Thanks for something useful to ponder.....

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.