Reply
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
332
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

332 Views
Message 1 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

 

 


I have great confidence that Americans can design a better health care system than the rest of the world.  One thing to remember is that a sick undocumented alien is a menace to many people in society.   For instance, we need to vaccinate everyone if we want protection. Not just those who are citizens. 

 

If we had a rational immigration system combined with a rational health care system, we could cover everyone.  


You think we can have a better system than the rest of the world? 

  • when we have lots more people,
  • when we have a much bigger geographical area,
  • when we have medical infrastructure highly concentrated in some areas and none in others,
  • when we have the majority of our medical providers set up under a for-profit basis,
  • when we don't know how to control our health care cost because we don't rate treatments or medicines as to good - better - best or even poor.
  • I could go on, and on and on . . . . . .

See that's the thing, Richva - all people can get vaccinated for little to no cost - all they have to do is know where to go; citizens or undocumented or anything inbetween.

 

If we had a rationale immigration system like our Refugee program, we would be ready for them by the time they got off the plane/boat - that is how it works in the Refugee program but we have had about (2) years to prepare for them while they are being checked out as to their claim.

 

The undocumented can get care if they are sick even outside of the emergency room - they can get their vaccinations -  ALL Kids have to have vaccines to begin school unless they have an exemption.

 

 

 

 

 


We have experts that can design the best system that fits the USA. We can and  should look at what everyone else has done and learn the good and bad and see if we can use what they did to make our system great. No one in here can do that, and neither can most of the people writing the articles being posted. Right now we should be attacking the main problem with our health care system. Donald Trump. Get Trump and all with an R behind their name out of office in 2020 and we will have taken the first step to a good system.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
332
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
390
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

390 Views
Message 2 of 15

@ManicProgressive wrote:


. . . . . Asian Americans account for half the Hepatitis B infections in America, even though they are about 5% of the population. And Asians are the fastest growing racial group of undocumented immigrants. Most of the fast food workers in my area are Asian. Half my kids’ day care workers were Asian. I assume at least the day care workers were here legally. Not sure about the family owned McDonald’s. But many families are mixed status anyway. From a public health perspective, it makes sense that everyone should have heath care.


If any food establishment or any place serving food to any population is obeying the laws already on the books in each state - ALL of their workers who handle any food have to have a health clearance from the Health Dept.  These are updated periodically and are reviewed by the Health Dept.  This should assure that the worker does not have anything that is communicable and can be transmitted by the food handling.

 

Course none of this will catch everything.  We just had a warning issued about a popular Mexican restaurant - because one of their workers had Hep A - the word was put out that everybody who was in contact needs to be tested for it - patrons and other workers.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/worker-infected-with-hepatitis-handled-food-bartow-county-restaurant/...

 

Health care is only as good as people use it and many don't - they just keep going until they get better or are forced to seek care because they aren't getting better - that goes for whatever their immigration or citizenship status.

 

Poor legal adult immigrants are not allowed onto the Medicaid rolls until they have been in the country for (5) years - this has been the rule since as far back as I can remember.  What do you think they do within those (5) years?  They find a way - health care clinics, free clinics when they actually need something or they just wait - kind of like people who are close to Medicare will put off certain medical services until they join the Medicare rolls.

 

 

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
390
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
401
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

401 Views
Message 3 of 15

@Richva wrote:

 

 


I have great confidence that Americans can design a better health care system than the rest of the world.  One thing to remember is that a sick undocumented alien is a menace to many people in society.   For instance, we need to vaccinate everyone if we want protection. Not just those who are citizens. 

 

If we had a rational immigration system combined with a rational health care system, we could cover everyone.  


You think we can have a better system than the rest of the world? 

  • when we have lots more people,
  • when we have a much bigger geographical area,
  • when we have medical infrastructure highly concentrated in some areas and none in others,
  • when we have the majority of our medical providers set up under a for-profit basis,
  • when we don't know how to control our health care cost because we don't rate treatments or medicines as to good - better - best or even poor.
  • I could go on, and on and on . . . . . .

See that's the thing, Richva - all people can get vaccinated for little to no cost - all they have to do is know where to go; citizens or undocumented or anything inbetween.

 

If we had a rationale immigration system like our Refugee program, we would be ready for them by the time they got off the plane/boat - that is how it works in the Refugee program but we have had about (2) years to prepare for them while they are being checked out as to their claim.

 

The undocumented can get care if they are sick even outside of the emergency room - they can get their vaccinations -  ALL Kids have to have vaccines to begin school unless they have an exemption.

 

 

 

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
401
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
439
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

439 Views
Message 4 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Once again, I have to bring facts and truth to this debate. There are no health care plans or laws regarding health care in America today which cover undocumented immigrants.  There ARE humanitarian laws which require hospitals and physicians to render medical care to individuals who need it but the undocumented have be EXPRESSLY denied inclusion to any American health care plans and that includes the ACA. 

 

https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/immigrantshcr/

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS

No federal coverage.

  • Not allowed to purchase private health insurance at full cost in state insurance exchange(s).
  • Not eligible for premium tax credits or lower copayments.
  • Exempt from individual mandate.
  • Not eligible for Medicare, nonemergency Medicaid, or CHIP.
  • Remain eligible for emergency care under federal law.
  • Eligible for Emergency Medicaid if low-income.
  • Citizen or lawfully present children of undocumented parents are eligible:
    • To purchase from the state insurance exchange.
    • For premium tax credits and lower copayments.
    • For Medicaid or CHIP.
  • May seek nonemergency health services at community health centers or safety-net hospitals.

That's what I said - we already treat them until they are stable; just like anybody else that is not insured.  That is predominately what other countries that have universal type coverage do also.

 

Like your link stated - they have access to clinic care and many are on a sliding scale or free.

They can get employer coverage if offered.  They can buy coverage Off the exchange just like other people who don't get a subsidy opt to do.

 

My point to this thread is that if other countries haven't decided to cover them under their (what you call) better care at a lower cost plan, then there is a problem. 

 

We need to figure out what we are going to do with our citizens before adding these undocumented adults.  California is going to cover them (those under 26 years of age) - legislation has been already passed but not without some numbers disputes by some of the localities.

Wonder why they didn't cover all of them instead of picking just the youngest?

One guess - COST.

 

KHN 05/08/2019 - A Plan To Cover Immigrants Would Divert Public Health Dollars

 

KHN 06/10/2019 (pick your source) - California Legislature Agrees To Expand Medicaid To Undocumented...

 

Yea, you and other Democrats keep selling this - I am sure that is just what American CITIZENS that are having a hard time financially with their health care insurance and health care cost want to hear from the candidates.

 

Citizens should take priority when trying to figure out a health care system.

 

 


 Well at least now you admit they can get ER care so that is a start. There is no one in here who is an expert of this entire area so why play this silly game of posting selected articles that do not talk about the entire health care system  but a small part and make it see like they are talking about the full system. Both articles you use as back up for this thread fit that. Some months ago you were using a Kaiser article about when people could or could not  move between plans off enrollment period. Just so happens a freind of mine living in CA did what you posted he could not do. How did he do it. Kaiser did it for him. There are experts who can put together a good health care program, and none of them are in here.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
439
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
472
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

472 Views
Message 5 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Once again, I have to bring facts and truth to this debate. There are no health care plans or laws regarding health care in America today which cover undocumented immigrants.  There ARE humanitarian laws which require hospitals and physicians to render medical care to individuals who need it but the undocumented have be EXPRESSLY denied inclusion to any American health care plans and that includes the ACA. 

 

https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/immigrantshcr/

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS

No federal coverage.

  • Not allowed to purchase private health insurance at full cost in state insurance exchange(s).
  • Not eligible for premium tax credits or lower copayments.
  • Exempt from individual mandate.
  • Not eligible for Medicare, nonemergency Medicaid, or CHIP.
  • Remain eligible for emergency care under federal law.
  • Eligible for Emergency Medicaid if low-income.
  • Citizen or lawfully present children of undocumented parents are eligible:
    • To purchase from the state insurance exchange.
    • For premium tax credits and lower copayments.
    • For Medicaid or CHIP.
  • May seek nonemergency health services at community health centers or safety-net hospitals.

That's what I said - we already treat them until they are stable; just like anybody else that is not insured.  That is predominately what other countries that have universal type coverage do also.

 

Like your link stated - they have access to clinic care and many are on a sliding scale or free.

They can get employer coverage if offered.  They can buy coverage Off the exchange just like other people who don't get a subsidy opt to do.

 

My point to this thread is that if other countries haven't decided to cover them under their (what you call) better care at a lower cost plan, then there is a problem. 

 

We need to figure out what we are going to do with our citizens before adding these undocumented adults.  California is going to cover them (those under 26 years of age) - legislation has been already passed but not without some numbers disputes by some of the localities.

Wonder why they didn't cover all of them instead of picking just the youngest?

One guess - COST.

 

KHN 05/08/2019 - A Plan To Cover Immigrants Would Divert Public Health Dollars

 

KHN 06/10/2019 (pick your source) - California Legislature Agrees To Expand Medicaid To Undocumented...

 

Yea, you and other Democrats keep selling this - I am sure that is just what American CITIZENS that are having a hard time financially with their health care insurance and health care cost want to hear from the candidates.

 

Citizens should take priority when trying to figure out a health care system.

 

 


I have great confidence that Americans can design a better health care system than the rest of the world.  One thing to remember is that a sick undocumented alien is a menace to many people in society.   For instance, we need to vaccinate everyone if we want protection. Not just those who are citizens. 

 

If we had a rational immigration system combined with a rational health care system, we could cover everyone.  

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
472
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
472
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

472 Views
Message 6 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Once again, I have to bring facts and truth to this debate. There are no health care plans or laws regarding health care in America today which cover undocumented immigrants.  There ARE humanitarian laws which require hospitals and physicians to render medical care to individuals who need it but the undocumented have be EXPRESSLY denied inclusion to any American health care plans and that includes the ACA. 

 

https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/immigrantshcr/

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS

No federal coverage.

  • Not allowed to purchase private health insurance at full cost in state insurance exchange(s).
  • Not eligible for premium tax credits or lower copayments.
  • Exempt from individual mandate.
  • Not eligible for Medicare, nonemergency Medicaid, or CHIP.
  • Remain eligible for emergency care under federal law.
  • Eligible for Emergency Medicaid if low-income.
  • Citizen or lawfully present children of undocumented parents are eligible:
    • To purchase from the state insurance exchange.
    • For premium tax credits and lower copayments.
    • For Medicaid or CHIP.
  • May seek nonemergency health services at community health centers or safety-net hospitals.

That's what I said - we already treat them until they are stable; just like anybody else that is not insured.  That is predominately what other countries that have universal type coverage do also.

 

Like your link stated - they have access to clinic care and many are on a sliding scale or free.

They can get employer coverage if offered.  They can buy coverage Off the exchange just like other people who don't get a subsidy opt to do.

 

My point to this thread is that if other countries haven't decided to cover them under their (what you call) better care at a lower cost plan, then there is a problem. 

 

We need to figure out what we are going to do with our citizens before adding these undocumented adults.  California is going to cover them (those under 26 years of age) - legislation has been already passed but not without some numbers disputes by some of the localities.

Wonder why they didn't cover all of them instead of picking just the youngest?

One guess - COST.

 

KHN 05/08/2019 - A Plan To Cover Immigrants Would Divert Public Health Dollars

 

KHN 06/10/2019 (pick your source) - California Legislature Agrees To Expand Medicaid To Undocumented...

 

Yea, you and other Democrats keep selling this - I am sure that is just what American CITIZENS that are having a hard time financially with their health care insurance and health care cost want to hear from the candidates.

 

Citizens should take priority when trying to figure out a health care system.

 

 


Just a few simple questions 

 

1. Is the US Presidency Currently VACANT?

 

2. Is the Senate Majority Leader Position  VACANT? 

 

We are 2.5 years into the Current Presidential Administration with his Party holding a Majority in Congress until 6 months ago & still holding a Majority in the Senate 

 

Are the 25 Democratic Presidential Candidates Really Relevant To This Discussion 

 

What current Authority or Power do they have to Fix Immigration & the Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border? 

 

Or is it your Position that everything wrong in our Country is always the fault of Democrats regardless of who Controls the Federal Government?

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
472
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
481
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

481 Views
Message 7 of 15

@Richva wrote:

Once again, I have to bring facts and truth to this debate. There are no health care plans or laws regarding health care in America today which cover undocumented immigrants.  There ARE humanitarian laws which require hospitals and physicians to render medical care to individuals who need it but the undocumented have be EXPRESSLY denied inclusion to any American health care plans and that includes the ACA. 

 

https://www.nilc.org/issues/health-care/immigrantshcr/

UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS

No federal coverage.

  • Not allowed to purchase private health insurance at full cost in state insurance exchange(s).
  • Not eligible for premium tax credits or lower copayments.
  • Exempt from individual mandate.
  • Not eligible for Medicare, nonemergency Medicaid, or CHIP.
  • Remain eligible for emergency care under federal law.
  • Eligible for Emergency Medicaid if low-income.
  • Citizen or lawfully present children of undocumented parents are eligible:
    • To purchase from the state insurance exchange.
    • For premium tax credits and lower copayments.
    • For Medicaid or CHIP.
  • May seek nonemergency health services at community health centers or safety-net hospitals.

That's what I said - we already treat them until they are stable; just like anybody else that is not insured.  That is predominately what other countries that have universal type coverage do also.

 

Like your link stated - they have access to clinic care and many are on a sliding scale or free.

They can get employer coverage if offered.  They can buy coverage Off the exchange just like other people who don't get a subsidy opt to do.

 

My point to this thread is that if other countries haven't decided to cover them under their (what you call) better care at a lower cost plan, then there is a problem. 

 

We need to figure out what we are going to do with our citizens before adding these undocumented adults.  California is going to cover them (those under 26 years of age) - legislation has been already passed but not without some numbers disputes by some of the localities.

Wonder why they didn't cover all of them instead of picking just the youngest?

One guess - COST.

 

KHN 05/08/2019 - A Plan To Cover Immigrants Would Divert Public Health Dollars

 

KHN 06/10/2019 (pick your source) - California Legislature Agrees To Expand Medicaid To Undocumented...

 

Yea, you and other Democrats keep selling this - I am sure that is just what American CITIZENS that are having a hard time financially with their health care insurance and health care cost want to hear from the candidates.

 

Citizens should take priority when trying to figure out a health care system.

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
481
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
483
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

483 Views
Message 8 of 15

@JANMB wrote:

I personally do not want people handling food that do not have access to healthcare.   Nor should people want their children in school with their children  in such  close contact.     EVERYONE in the USA needs to have healthcare as a basic human right....whether you are a visitor, citizen, on Visa or undocumented.   

 

Not only VIRUSES ...just to mention ONE THING.    Tapeworm is not just  a 3rd world country problem...many people work in restaurants, deli's or food.   .   (Mayo Clinic) . If you eat food or drink water contaminated with feces from a person or animal with tapeworm, you ingest microscopic tapeworm eggs.       


Good point. Asian Americans account for half the Hepatitis B infections in America, even though they are about 5% of the population. And Asians are the fastest growing racial group of undocumented immigrants. Most of the fast food workers in my area are Asian. Half my kids’ day care workers were Asian. I assume at least the day care workers were here legally. Not sure about the family owned McDonald’s. But many families are mixed status anyway. From a public health perspective, it makes sense that everyone should have heath care.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
483
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
489
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

489 Views
Message 9 of 15

@JANMB wrote:

I personally do not want people handling food that do not have access to healthcare.   Nor should people want their children in school with their children  in such  close contact.     EVERYONE in the USA needs to have healthcare as a basic human right....whether you are a visitor, citizen, on Visa or undocumented.   

 

Not only VIRUSES ...just to mention ONE THING.    Tapeworm is not just  a 3rd world country problem...many people work in restaurants, deli's or food.   .   (Mayo Clinic) . If you eat food or drink water contaminated with feces from a person or animal with tapeworm, you ingest microscopic tapeworm eggs.       


You raise a VERY good point.  The lack of an effective health care system in the United States puts even  those with access to decent health care at risk. Like not vaccinating children puts even those who are vaccinated at risk as there are many reasons vaccinations do not "take" or are not possible.  Thank you. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
489
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
495
Views

Re: The Majority of Other Countries DO NOT Cover The Undocumented in their Health Care Systems

495 Views
Message 10 of 15

I personally do not want people handling food that do not have access to healthcare.   Nor should people want their children in school with their children  in such  close contact.     EVERYONE in the USA needs to have healthcare as a basic human right....whether you are a visitor, citizen, on Visa or undocumented.   

 

Not only VIRUSES ...just to mention ONE THING.    Tapeworm is not just  a 3rd world country problem...many people work in restaurants, deli's or food.   .   (Mayo Clinic) . If you eat food or drink water contaminated with feces from a person or animal with tapeworm, you ingest microscopic tapeworm eggs.       

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
495
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors