Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Left is Just Bubbling With Ideas . . . . They're Just Wrong Ones

Message 11 of 13

Time will prove ideas to be right, wrong, or nothing. Is it better not to have ideas. Ideas can be debated, and if the truth is coupled with an idea or concept, then perhaps we can determine it to be good, bad, or just so so. Don’t quit thinking, or try to prevent a free flow of information. 

Never Forget

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Left is Just Bubbling With Ideas . . . . They're Just Wrong Ones

Message 12 of 13

It's a shame to see Democrats echoing a nincompoop like Lizard Gingrich.

On the plus side, their errors are in seeking to make things better, not make some richer.

As for the cost of Universal Health Care, we ALREADY spend $3.2 TRILLION EACH YEAR, and the amount is increasing twice as fast as inflation. It's simply a question of reducing Capitalist waste fraud and abuse so EVERYONE will be covered for the same $3.2 Trillion.

Gail's correct about reducing the disparity in wealth - get rid of Capital Gains (except for IPOs and "Capitalization Issues" for expansion inside the USA).

Then eliminate the "uniform gift to minors" where the rich can give their heirs $10,000 each year "tax free" and replace it with an additional $10,000 deduction for every working dependant child and increase the allowable amount of I-Series Savings Bonds to $10,000/year for each dependent child, and make the entire surrender value tax exempt to the child if its used for for high school, college or trade school expenses.

Finally, only exempt $5Million of an estate from taxation - all the rest taxed as income to the recepient when its received. Plus allow transfer of 1280 acres of farmland or 2560 acres of grazing land to each legal child to protect The Family Farm vs the Corporate Agribusiness.

No need to burn Billionaires - Just make their tax burden produce as much sacrifice as the burden we place on the average citizen.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Left is Just Bubbling With Ideas . . . . They're Just Wrong Ones

Message 13 of 13

IMO -

Stick with the Centrist, Democrats -

Stop with the False statements -

Stop the hate filled comments against some people - where they live, their intelligence level, what they do for a living, what generation they are in, how much they earn -

WP 02/21/2019 - Fareed Zakaria column: The left is bubbling with ideas. They’re just the wrong ones.

. . . . consider the race by prominent Democrats to embrace Medicare-for-all. A variety of expert studies have estimated the total increased government spending for such a program at between $2.5 trillion and $3 trillion a year. Few of the many proposals being floated would likely raise anything close to that revenue. The Medicare-for-all plan by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has zero out-of-pocket costs for patients, which would make it even more generous than plans in Europe and Canada. And if a herculean effort were made to raise revenue for Medicare-for-all, there would be few easy avenues left to fund any of the other ambitious proposals on the new Democratic wish list. 

. . . . . consider the tax proposals being tossed around on the left, including a wealth tax championed by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). I understand the appeal of tapping into those vast accumulations of billionaire loot. But there is a reason nine of the 12 European countries that instituted similar taxes have repealed them in the last 25 years. They massively distort economic activity, often incentivizing people to hide assets, devalue them and create dummy corporations. . .

There are smarter, better ways to address inequality — raise the capital gains tax to the same level as income taxes; increase the estate tax; and get rid of the massive loopholes that make the U.S. tax code one of the most complex and corrupt in the world. But again, this is less stirring stuff than burning the billionaires.

Ocasio-Cortez’s comments on “60 Minutes” with Anderson Cooper *

The Atlantic 01/07/2019 - What Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s 60 Minutes Interview Actually Reveals

* Cooper asked about factual errors she’s made in policy discussions, such as her misinterpretation last month of a statistic about Pentagon spending, which earned her four Pinocchios from The Washington Post’s fact-checker. PolitiFact has documented several other mistakes she’s made, such as claiming that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement faces a legal requirement to fill 34,000 beds every night. In reality, the law has no such mandate; past versions required the agency to have that many beds available, but not filled.

The representative responded with an exasperated “Oh my goodness” and suggested that those focusing on her errors need to readjust their priorities. It sounded like she was asking to be taken seriously but not literally, as some observers have suggested about the factually challenged president. “If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they’re missing the forest for the trees,” she said. “I think that there’s a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right.”

Back to the Fareed Zakaria column (This statement above) reminded me of a July 2016 exchange between former House speaker Newt Gingrich and CNN’s Alisyn Camerota. Camerota explained that, contrary to Gingrich’s insistence, FBI data showed that violent crime in the United States was way down. Gingrich responded that it doesn’t “feel” that way to people. “As a political candidate, I’ll go with how people feel, and I’ll let you go with the theoreticians,” he said.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors