Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The GOP’s Neo-Nazi Problem

Message 1 of 4

I don't think the word 'Nazi' quite gets to the real problem within the GOP.  Here in this country, so far, they are still a fringe group whose numbers don't equate to political effectiveness...even if their activities generate a lot of 'media attention'.  But...that's all by themselves.  Introduce a bunch of single issue or like-minded voters who are willing to overlook the warts and you get a coalition of 'kissing-cousins'.  Now that's something entirely different and goes beyond troubling. 

An 'evangelical', for example, is one who espouses a cause with enthusiasm...that could be religious or it could be secular.  A Nazi could well be an evangelical and vice-versa.  OR an evangelical could be a 'revered' preacher of the faith or belief held as a matter of choice by any individual...reinforces the idea that you are somehow wise when making that choice.  That's a fallacy of course, but that doesn't matter.  We have a poster who specifically proclaims his wisdom quite often on this forum.

IF 'common cause' exists, the varying factions may well coalesce into a coalition that does have political effectiveness.  They agree to be allies and settle their differences later after that 'common cause' is achieved.  So it appears it happened with 'the donald' in any number of circumstances.  Pick your own favorite.  As far as I can tell, they all have an authoratarian mind-set, are tribal in outlook, isolationist, anti-abortion for sure, extremely bigotted in one way or another, rarely exactly the same, racist maybe, but maybe not.

My point is that it is the 'shared flaw' that creates the existing problem.  In my view, that is the authoritarian mind set coupled with the willingness to do whatever is necessary to impose their specific views, whatever they are, on others...universally.  They may not say it right out in the open, but that is the net long range effect.  No apostasy allowed.  Zealotry is an appropriate label for that characteristic. 

I can see no instance where that allows for a Nation like ours to continue to exist under the Constitution we have.  And I don't think that is the intent of any within these coalitions, whatever else they may say, or don't say, about their actual motives.  Hypocrisy is not a new thing, nor is it unique to any one group.  Although these people almost uniformly say of themselves that they are 'conservative', they do not fall under that definition.  But I've said that before.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The GOP’s Neo-Nazi Problem

Message 2 of 4

Ignoblers here apparently seem to believe that having neo-nazi elected officials  and their ardent supports is a very good thing.   One should remember that Steve King of IA re-tweeted a neo-nazi statement and the entire GOP klan in Congress ignored that.   

Remember that when some Dem makes a statement the Conservatives will whine about and call for resignation, etc....because they certainly will be showing their hypocrisy and racism if they refuse to call out one of their own.     I agree with Corker - the Conservative Cult is in charge of nation.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The GOP’s Neo-Nazi Problem

Message 3 of 4

When you have someone in the White House who admires dictators around the world and is trying his best to become our Supreme Leader, this isn't a surprise.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

The GOP’s Neo-Nazi Problem

Message 4 of 4

https://medium.com/@peoplefor/the-gops-neo-nazi-problem-8b2e38b504c5

The GOP’s Neo-Nazi Problem

The Republican Party has a neo-Nazi problem. At least three congressional candidates running as Republicans are doing so explicitly to promote white nationalist and anti-Semitic platforms.

It’s hard to be shocked anymore, but this certainly feels like a new low. It would be difficult to conceive of this even being possible in one of the two major American parties, that is until now. The GOP has eventually disowned all three candidates, but at some point they must have to wonder why these figures are gravitating toward their party and feel at home there.

These aren’t just extremists who gather just enough signatures to get on a ballot. In March, the country was shocked when Republican voters in Illinois’ Third Congressional District nominated Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier and former member of the American Nazi Party. Jones was running unopposed in the primary. The state GOP did denounce him and campaigned against him, but still more than 20,000 Republicans in the district affirmatively voted for him.

If it was just Jones — a candidate abandoned by his party in a district that’s heavily Democratic anyway — maybe it could be dismissed as just a terrible political fluke.

But it’s not just Jones.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors