Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The GOP Tax Cut Scam

Message 61 of 209

@CriticalThinking wrote:

rudolph said, "I ran the numbers and the new tax plan will reduce my taxes by more than 10%"

Good for him, but even though I will probably keep an extra $200 or $300, I have serious issues with the GOP tax plan.

• The GOP talked for years about a simple FLAT Tax. Where is it? The new bill is about 500 pages and appears to be very complicated.
  • I also was for a flat tax but, it wasn't meant to be. No Democrat would ever vote for it and probably only half of the Republicans.
  • It adds an incredible 1.5 to 2 Trillion dollars to the deficit
  • This was known in advance and the justification was based on the corporate tax being lowered to 21%, bringing back overseas money, creating more jobs, and those people paying income tax instead of welfare.
  • America's corporation are enjoying record profits and revenue, yet this bill targets them with huge tax benefits. They are the last people in America who need a major tax break. I think we should have cut the corporate tax rate, but the GOP went too far with a 21% rate.
  • See above answer.
  • America's rich are doing better than ever, but thanks to this bill, they will do even better. This will increase the class divide in our country.
  • The idea was to lower all people's tax that are currently paying tax. You can't give other people's tax money to others (redistribution).
  • Trump broke his campaign promise to do away with the "Carried Interest" scam for Hedge Fund managers.
  • True. Hedge fund operators making millions shouldn't be paying 20% when CEOs are paying 39.5%.
  • Do middle class people derive some benefits? Yes they do, as mentioned above, I'm one of them. But the benefits are small when compared to the big corporations and the wealthy.
  • I'll take any money returned to me and so will most people. Those that are unhappy with their own money returned should donate it to charity.
  • One non-partisan analysis claims 83% of the benefits in this bill will go to corporations and the very rich.
  • If they paid in the most $, they should logically get back most of the $.
  • High income people have a much larger child tax credit than those on the low end of the scale.

• You will have to document this. I don't believe it. What they did do is make the income requirement for the child tax credit higher ( not the amount).
  • Finally, it still has many components hidden in that 500 page bill we don't yet know about. Maybe some are good, but I suspect they will target benefits for the extra rich.
  • In order to get it passed, many deals had to be made. I also was hoping for a one page form and instructions. It is a START in the right direction.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 209

Wakie wakie NT - Not paying for the goods and services you receive is a hallmark of Der Trumper and the ideal pursued by all GreedheadGOPers. The tax on income, personal and corporate, is just one of many "bills for service provided" that Republicans hate to pay (and Der Trumper seldom paid in his business) You pretend tax money is only given to the lazy and addicted so you can imagine it's not ACTUALLY used to support our entire Civilization, and without that support structure we have NOTHING. 

GOPers try and cheat their suppliers, underpay their employees and evade taxes because they are pathalogically greedy. The reason our infrastructure looks like some banana rebublic is elected Republicans have applied that totally bogus philosophy to our Government so nothing new got built and nothing old got fixed FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS.

While NOT taking care of infrastructure IS GREAT, you like to claim somehow OVERPAYING Greedheads running health care suppliers is a GOOD thing, that somehow they DESERVE to get 135% of what the Insurance Industry has determened (and those Greedheads agreed) was adequate to cover all costs AND provide a nice profit.

Then when someone has the courage to oppose the corporations jrbush gave that totally undeserved bonus to, you claim the poor dears are being underpaid when they're getting from Medicare EXACTLY what they get from the PRIVATE insurance companies for the same support. I guess for the Republican mind, when money is fraudulently given to Corporations, its the American Way, but if some poor person gets a better deal, its a disaster. Der Trumper wants to improve things by redistributing MORE money to the top of the 1%, just like jrbush did with his overpayments to health care corporations.

PPACA was funded because President Obama ended the legalized (by GOPers) FRAUD that was overpaying health care Corporations 35% of their total bill, $72BILLION every year. Then the money no longer going to overpay Corporations was used to provide assistance to millions of Americans so they could buy their own PRIVATE health insurance and stop using the ER as their primary care physician for them and their children. That's why the GOPerLords are telling you to oppose PPACA - it helps the 99% while stopping the FRAUD by the Corporations, and Republicans cannot stand that, and Der Trumper has promised to bring back the fraud and end the help to the 99%.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The GOP Tax Cut Scam

Message 63 of 209

rudolph said, "I ran the numbers and the new tax plan will reduce my taxes by more than 10%"

Good for him, but even though I will probably keep an extra $200 or $300, I have serious issues with the GOP tax plan.

• The GOP talked for years about a simple FLAT Tax. Where is it? The new bill is about 500 pages and appears to be very complicated.
  • It adds an incredible 1.5 to 2 Trillion dollars to the deficit
  • America's corporation are enjoying record profits and revenue, yet this bill targets them with huge tax benefits. They are the last people in America who need a major tax break. I think we should have cut the corporate tax rate, but the GOP went too far with a 21% rate.
  • America's rich are doing better than ever, but thanks to this bill, they will do even better. This will increase the class divide in our country.
  • Trump broke his campaign promise to do away with the "Carried Interest" scam for Hedge Fund managers.
  • Do middle class people derive some benefits? Yes they do, as mentioned above, I'm one of them. But the benefits are small when compared to the big corporations and the wealthy.
  • One non-partisan analysis claims 83% of the benefits in this bill will go to corporations and the very rich.
  • High income people have a much larger child tax credit than those on the low end of the scale.

• Finally, it still has many components hidden in that 500 page bill we don't yet know about. Maybe some are good, but I suspect they will target benefits for the extra rich.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 209

@rudolphc370543 wrote:

I ran the numbers and the new tax plan will reduce my taxes by more than 10%. If the new tax plan is no good for you, sorry for you, hopefully you will live long enough for the next tax law revision to be in your favor. I actually think there is a epidemic of mentally unstable behavior by all the Trump haters. I have never had any President influence my life, my family, my job, or my wealth. What is going on in America is sad. Merry Christmas - Live Long and Prosper.

85 million people in America will see a tax increase under this tax plan and my wife and I are two of them. Ironically, none of the 85 million are above middle class. I think that those who support this plan forget that the tax cuts for everyone but the 1% and corporations are temporary, yet he cuts for corporations and the 1% are permanent. They forget "because there is an epidemic of mentally unstable behavior" by all of the blind trump lovers. 

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 209

@rudolphc370543 wrote:
It is really sad what our country has come to. I golfed with 14 retired guys today and after our game we discussed the new tax plan. To a person, Democrats said the tax plan was a scam and a disgrace. Republicans said it was the best thing for our country and will help everyone. 

To a person, no one took the new tax rates and applied them to their last year's tax return to see it it reduced or increased their taxes. We have become puppets to whatever news we read or listen to. Most people don't think on their own anymore, but follow the group they identify with. Maybe taxes are too complicated for the average person to understand as most of these AARP replies depend on some other news article or person's explanation. No one has written that they ran the numbers and this is what they came up with. 

I ran the numbers and the new tax plan will reduce my taxes by more than 10%. If the new tax plan is no good for you, sorry for you, hopefully you will live long enough for the next tax law revision to be in your favor. I actually think there is a epidemic of mentally unstable behavior by all the Trump haters. I have never had any President influence my life, my family, my job, or my wealth. What is going on in America is sad. Merry Christmas - Live Long and Prosper.

Explain how it can be good for the US when it increases the deficit, that has to some time be paid off. That means higher taxes for all. Now that could be your children who will have to pay your share.

Here is another very important factor for all to look at. 13 million people will loose their health Insurance as a result of this tax law. Most of them will be forced into the ER care section of our health system which is the most costly so the cost of health care to all of us will rise. They say 10% on your health insurance to start, but after you add in cost increases to the entire system it will be a lot more. Your local, state, and fed taxes and fees will all go up so you will save nothing. One last thing. people who are forced into the ER system will be come sicker, and the death rate will go up. Well I do not want a tax cut that people have to die for. What is an acceptable number of deaths to justify each person or Corp. reduction in taxes. I have not seen anyone post that number but when anyone tells you they like the law they are telling you they approve of people dieing so they can have it. What has this country become? Well the far right are in power and if you follow the far right people always die due to them when they have power. Think about what I have said as you have your Christmas dinner. Then have the Christmas spirit and join me and other thinking people and say no to this tax law, and vote out everyone in Congress who voted for it. That is the Christmas spirit.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 209

Over the next few years, provisions in the bill that may give you that 10% savings will disappear. That’s how people are deceived.

Gee, miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 209
It is really sad what our country has come to. I golfed with 14 retired guys today and after our game we discussed the new tax plan. To a person, Democrats said the tax plan was a scam and a disgrace. Republicans said it was the best thing for our country and will help everyone. 

To a person, no one took the new tax rates and applied them to their last year's tax return to see it it reduced or increased their taxes. We have become puppets to whatever news we read or listen to. Most people don't think on their own anymore, but follow the group they identify with. Maybe taxes are too complicated for the average person to understand as most of these AARP replies depend on some other news article or person's explanation. No one has written that they ran the numbers and this is what they came up with. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 209

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

You better go read the details of the Tax plan as they appear in the papers this morning. You left out all the things it does to raise the taxes of the middle class so in total the middle class in the end will have most people paying more taxes. You show increase the standard deduction, but fail to say it does away with Indv. deduction of over $4,000 per year, and you do that in most of your other example's. You do not either understand this law, or you are true Trump supporter.

What "papers"?  Got a link or even a name of the papers.

The personal exemptions other than the special extra one for seniors and the blind have been folded into the much higher standard deduction AND the higher child tax credit, of which $1400 of this credit is refundable.

A tax credit is always more beneficial to an individual or couple than an adjustment to income like an exemption and deduction is because a tax credit reduces the amount of tax that you have to pay DIRECTLY, especially if it is a refundable tax credit.

I do the taxes for several higher income (younger) disabled people so I Do try to keep up with not only what changes affect me but also them.  Like I said earlier, I am also looking at this new pass-through process since I still earn some from business interest and since my SIL is seriously thinking about joining the world of entrepreneurship.  Nothing is better than being your own boss.

It was a lead story in our Sunday paper which is part of the USA Today network. The title of the article is "TAX RELIEF LOWER THAN TRUMP CLAIMED BY ROBERT FARLEY (fact check.org.), Trumps backers mostly muted on tax law by (Thomas Beaumont & Nicholas Riccardi). Taking away the personal exemption increases govt. revenue by over 1.2 trillion over 10 years. It is a bad bill for the middle class on down and all the experts have said that. Now it could be in rural Trump country they do not realize that. AL seems to be headed back into the hands of its thinking residents again. There will be increases in state and local taxes due to this bill, and it is a good bet with that added in what the middle class down get is a Tax Increase form the start not after all the cuts in Trumps law expire. Oh I forgot not for Corp. Yes this is a tax cut for the middle class, and I have a bridge to sell you. One last item. How about the 13 million who loose their Medical Coverage. There will be a number of them that get very sick and even die due to lack of proper health services in the ER care section. Well I do not want a tax cut if people have to die so I can have it. It looks like you do not agree with me on that. What is the number of deaths acceptable to Trump and his supporters for their so called tax cut. Well in GA. the old governor said let them die in the streets. Looks like his wish will come true again.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 209

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Sounds like putting lipstick on a pig, Gail.  1/3rd of Americans like the plan...you're in that group.  Cool.  But it will give Conservatives and Libertarians the opportunity to whine about the Dems when they responsibly raise taxes on the top 4% and corporations in the near future, to "make America GREAT again." 

I think a whole lot more folks will discover the benefits of the TCJA as we go into 2018.  Yeah, a few more might appreciate the $28 increase in their pay.....meanwhile, the cost of going to a federal park will triple, tolls will quadruple, you might even have to pay to run on the local trail.

I read the other day somewhere that some other countries are now considering reducing their corporate rates to keep their edge - who knows, this could become a global corporate tax rate war similar to the gas price wars we have at competing gas stations in our neighborhoods.  Certainly you jest.....meanwhile, all services and infrastructure will cease to exist.

We are in a world economy - we all need to realize this and play the game on the world turf.  This could very much be to our benefit as well as other countries.   LMAO!!!  Brilliant....just what the trumpettes hated about Obama.....though, the did call it the "global economy".  If trump keeps urinating on the rest of the world, fewer countries will want to do business with the US and China will keep becoming a larger and larger force.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 209

@john258 wrote:

You better go read the details of the Tax plan as they appear in the papers this morning. You left out all the things it does to raise the taxes of the middle class so in total the middle class in the end will have most people paying more taxes. You show increase the standard deduction, but fail to say it does away with Indv. deduction of over $4,000 per year, and you do that in most of your other example's. You do not either understand this law, or you are true Trump supporter.

What "papers"?  Got a link or even a name of the papers.

The personal exemptions other than the special extra one for seniors and the blind have been folded into the much higher standard deduction AND the higher child tax credit, of which $1400 of this credit is refundable.

A tax credit is always more beneficial to an individual or couple than an adjustment to income like an exemption and deduction is because a tax credit reduces the amount of tax that you have to pay DIRECTLY, especially if it is a refundable tax credit.

I do the taxes for several higher income (younger) disabled people so I Do try to keep up with not only what changes affect me but also them.  Like I said earlier, I am also looking at this new pass-through process since I still earn some from business interest and since my SIL is seriously thinking about joining the world of entrepreneurship.  Nothing is better than being your own boss.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs