Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Concept Of The Weekend Is Dying

Message 1 of 7
The Concept Of The Weekend Is Dying

It is in retail and the service industry.

Years ago stores were not open on Sunday today its one of the best days for retail.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
I worked weekend for 15 years on the line. but thats ok I was just an autoworker.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

One reason I taught was that I knew I would never have to leave my family on the weekends to work. Having said that, it was not uncommon to get calls from the school‘s principal and /or superintendent during the summer asking questions or requesting that I come to the school for one type of meeting or another. For the most part I agreed and did attend these meetings,  but towards the end, I simply said no.

I think we all work to provide for our families and for self gratification, but family must all ways come Before the almighty dollar and the pacification of one’s boss.

Those who cite  technology as one of the culprits that allows our employers to interfere with family weekends are correct. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

I still work full time in a huge Global company and I am happy to say that we do not work weekends nor are we expected to.  Thankfully!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I am retired but still work part time as a quality engineer. The new era of smart phones and all of the things they link us to literally put us on a leash if we allow it.

I worked for the auto industry the better part of my life, not as an engineer, simply in assembly at first and then went into repair and problem solving, specialized in auto electrical repair for my last 8 years. These things and a wide range of other training and education qualified me for what I started doing  in retirement as a quality engineer by contract (contract working is also mentioned in the article).

I have a smart phone that I use in my work only, I refuse to carry it and use it away from work or on weekends. Away from work I use a simple old fashioned 'flip phone', I only use it for phone calls and texts. Refusing to use that smart phone is my way of keeping my private life (my 'off time') separate from my work.

Weekends off, overtime pay, a 40 hour work week and much more will be lost if workers don't fight to keep them and with the decimation of unions it is almost an impossible battle to fight.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Interesting article. I work weekends fairly often. I both blame it on technology and thank technology.  I can take off a few hours during the week to see my kid’s soccer game and instead work those few hours over the weekend.  

But the technology....that’s definitely created the expectation that we are reachable 24/7.  I tried unplugging last August...all weekend, every weekend... and some urgent things came up that I missed. 

I do miss them...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 7 of 7

At what point do we declare a world without weekends a public interest issue?

By:  Katrina Onstad  Nov 3rd

Time to shut down.Anthony Wallace / AFP - Getty Images

On May 1, 1886, in booming, industrial Chicago, at least 30,000 workers walked off the job in what would become one of the most famous rallies for a shorter workweek in America. The shutdown left the usually smoke-filled skies eerily clear. The “great refusal,” as it is sometimes known, ultimately resulted in a confrontation a few days later between police and protesters that left several people on both sides dead. In a courtroom spectacle, eight demonstrators were convicted of murder, and seven of those eight were sentenced to death. One killed himself in jail and four were hanged in public.

Still, protests continued, as did bloodshed, until the passing of the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938 enshrined the modern weekend for all workers. Americans had finally achieved the promise of an eight-hour day and 40-hour workweek, a buttress against the Industrial Revolution’s crippling workload.

Less than a century later, however, the weekend has been eroded by overbooked schedules, pinging devices and encroaching work demands. It took decades for American workers to wrest a precious fraction of their week’s hours away from the iron grip of the factory boss. Yet for many of today’s workers, the concept of 48 work-free hours is an anachronism. The weekend as it was originally envisioned is being lost.

Importantly, while the weekend is a relatively new invention, the five-day workweek was not a solely altruistic creation. Henry Ford was an early adopter of the five-day workweek after realizing that a weekend could both keep workers happy and give them an incentive to spend — which might make him even more money. “People who have more leisure must have more clothes,” he said. “They eat a greater variety of food. They require more transportation in vehicles.”

Much More At LINK:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/concept-weekend-dying-ncna817131

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Replies