Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The American Health Care Act - Summary of Provisions

Message 11 of 21

@mickstuder wrote:

LOCAL CONTROL - If you take a look at just one or two Major National Issues where the Federal Government has failed to formualate a National Policy and left it up to the States to decide what they think is best for their citizens - the downside for other Americans citizens is catastrophic

Gun Control - Massachusetts has some of the Toughest Gun Control Laws in the Country - NH where I live has no meaningful Gun Control - I can walk into a Walmart today - purchase a gun and ammunition with nothing more then my drivers license to prove my age and residence and a credit card of cash or check - In a single month I could purchase enough Weaponry and Ammunition to outfit a Drug Gang or some Anti-government militia to wage a small war on Law Enforcement - No Questions asked!

There is nothing to stop me from driving less than a mile - crossing over the NH State Line/Border and into Massachusetts or driving anywhere else in the USA and selling all this weaponry out of the back of my pickup truck - illegal you say of course - so is drug dealing and killing another human being but it happens by the thousands every single year 

Conversely, Massachusetts has some of the most liberal Pot Laws compared to NH and the same thing happens with the Pot Trafficking as with Guns but only in the reverse

I always hate topics that go off subject but now I am going to do it. I could care less about ACHA (that's my kids' problem just as SS going broke in the 80s was my problem) but just out of curiousity I see your examples about MA vs NH above, arguing -- I guess -- against states being different. Are you a native of NH or like half (not sure of exact statistic) of NH, did you move there from MA? If so, why?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder

Of course, it has to go along that Bill >> to >> Law road.

I just like to keep up with what is going on -

Perhaps the Senate has some good ideas and yes, I would like to know how the CBO scores it, although they didn't come close on Obamacare as far as how many would be insured at

this point in time or how many people would still be in the expanded Medicaid program even if we have what appears to be pretty good employment opportunities going on now.

All we know for sure is that the young need to sign up in droves - and it seems this plan definitely gives these younger folks more enticement to get covered and stay covered.  If fact, everybody has an enticement to get covered and stay covered without a legislated mandate - a tax penalty

(individual responsibility payment)  that didn't work.

Just have to wait and see what happens - I just posted this KFF Summary because there is a lot of fake news coming out about what is within the legislation.  But I am sure you have read the fact checkers and pinocchio measures.

I'm sure everybody here wants to know the truth and then they can make up their own mind.

I just personally like more local control of things that are so very close to the people - especially since health care is, most of the time, a local event.

Gail - Gail - Gail

LOCAL CONTROL - I might be inclined to accept some of your Premise about Local Control - if Conservatives illustrated any kind of consistency in supporting this kind of policy and could demonstrate where it benefits not all but even a majority of constituents in any district where it's been forced on to the Citizens

LOCAL CONTROL - If you take a look at just one or two Major National Issues where the Federal Government has failed to formualate a National Policy and left it up to the States to decide what they think is best for their citizens - the downside for other Americans citizens is catastrophic

Gun Control - Massachusetts has some of the Toughest Gun Control Laws in the Country - NH where I live has no meaningful Gun Control - I can walk into a Walmart today - purchase a gun and ammunition with nothing more then my drivers license to prove my age and residence and a credit card of cash or check - In a single month I could purchase enough Weaponry and Ammunition to outfit a Drug Gang or some Anti-government militia to wage a small war on Law Enforcement - No Questions asked!

There is nothing to stop me from driving less than a mile - crossing over the NH State Line/Border and into Massachusetts or driving anywhere else in the USA and selling all this weaponry out of the back of my pickup truck - illegal you say of course - so is drug dealing and killing another human being but it happens by the thousands every single year 

Conversely, Massachusetts has some of the most liberal Pot Laws compared to NH and the same thing happens with the Pot Trafficking as with Guns but only in the reverse

LOCAL CONTROL - Last time I counted there were at least 23 States who refused to expand Medicaid to allow their Poorer Citizens to participate more easily in Obamacare - we all know what happened then - those 23 States have some of the highest healthcare costs and the poorest quality healthcare and Conservatives point to them daily as examples of Obamacares Failures

LOCAL CONTROL -  On the Flip Side - Sanctuary Cities are something that as you say is near and dear to the Local Citizens of the Cities who support it - Yet Conservatives have listed elimination of the this Local Control Policy as a Top Federal Government Priority

LOCAL CONTROL - What can be more LOCAL or Personal to a Woman then the Right to Control her Own Body - Republicans have also made removing the Right for a Woman to determine what she does with her own body as another Top Priority

LOCAL CONTROL - Environmental - we all breathe the air - drink the water - eat the food - but Republicans want to remove Local Controls of even the safety of these things

LOCAL CONTROL - NYC and it's citizens want to limit how much SUGAR and FAT businesses can disguise in their Food & Drink products - Republicans again consider this something the Federal Government should control

LOCAL CONTROL - Why was the Confirmation of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court such a Big Deal for Republicans - don't we have a Legal System in place in every jurisdiction and in the country - both Local State & Federal - shouldn;t the wishes and desires of the lcoal citizenry Trump Neil Gorsuch in Washington - again Republicans want to make sure every Local Legal Adjudication They Don;t Agree With can be elevated to a National Federal Arbitration where the final arbiter - is one of their own - WHY? Forget the Constitution - Republicans already pick and choose where and when it should be relevant and or ignored - no where in the Constitution does it say Corporations are people and deserve the same rights and privledges as humans and even many cases even more advantage like unlimited opportuntity to buy and sell elections and politicians

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

“Modify age rating limit to permit variation of 5:1, unless states adopt different ratios, effective 2018”

Insurance companies would be able to charge older people up to 5 times more for their insurance than someone younger than them. Currently it is capped at 3:1 under the ACA.

I can’t imagine why anyone AARP age (over 50) would “see a lot of good things” in bill that screws over many working AARP members.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

Mama bear has read the KFF report and has made their decision that it is supposed to be great because it will lower premiums.   And then the other shoe:  of course those premiums may not pay for hospitalization or emergency care or ambulance, but it will come with a shiny new card.  

Doing away with basic / essential needs will be wonderful for Insurance Companies, please ignore that healthcare should not be about Insurance companies but about consumers.   

Yea Gail I read the KFF report 2 days ago.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

Warren Buffett: ObamaCare repeal bill 'a huge tax cut for guys like me (Warren Buffett is a billionaire)

Buffett said his federal income taxes would have gone down 17 percent last year if the GOP bill was in effect. 

"So it is a huge tax cut for guys like me," he said, according to Reuters. "And when there's a tax cut, either the deficit goes up or they get the taxes from somebody else."

Buffett, said that Trump's proposed tax plan – which includes slashing the corporate tax rate to 15 percent – would be "to the benefit of shareholders."

Buffett has previously hit Trump for not releasing his tax 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

News has it you will have to move to state that does have it. Call your senator. 

http://www.contactsenators.com/senator-phone-numbers

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

But what if a state doesn't want to offer health care to its lower income workers?  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Hmmmm, so if my employer-provided health insurance plan covered abortions, even if I never had an abortion, I couldn't claim the federal tax credit for premiums?  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

@mickstuder

Of course, it has to go along that Bill >> to >> Law road.

I just like to keep up with what is going on -

Perhaps the Senate has some good ideas and yes, I would like to know how the CBO scores it, although they didn't come close on Obamacare as far as how many would be insured at

this point in time or how many people would still be in the expanded Medicaid program even if we have what appears to be pretty good employment opportunities going on now.

All we know for sure is that the young need to sign up in droves - and it seems this plan definitely gives these younger folks more enticement to get covered and stay covered.  If fact, everybody has an enticement to get covered and stay covered without a legislated mandate - a tax penalty

(individual responsibility payment)  that didn't work.

Just have to wait and see what happens - I just posted this KFF Summary because there is a lot of fake news coming out about what is within the legislation.  But I am sure you have read the fact checkers and pinocchio measures.

I'm sure everybody here wants to know the truth and then they can make up their own mind.

I just personally like more local control of things that are so very close to the people - especially since health care is, most of the time, a local event.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

@GailL1 wrote:

For those of you who are interested in facts rather than fake news, here is a Summary of the American Health Care Act.

This summary describes key provisions of H.R. 1628, the American Health Care Act, as passed by the House of Representatives on May 4, 2017 as a plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) through the Fiscal Year 2017 budget reconciliation process.

Kaiser Family Foundation May 2017 - Summary of provisions in the American Health Care Act

I see this as a plan to lower insurance premiums in this marketplace but at the same time encourages insurers to stay in this marketplace to foster competition.

I see this as giving states more of a decision making role in their state insurance plans in the individual and small group marketplace - plan design and premiums.

Seems to me that more local control is best because it is closer to the citizens; IF A STATE WANTS TO GO THAT DIRECTION - their choice.

Same thing with the Medicaid changes - states can make their best decision based on their population that needs this benefit.  We have already began to move away from institutionalized care for many; leaving that very expensive care for those that actually must have it.  Now if we can only develop the workforce numbers that we need to take care of the low income aged, blind, disabled.

I see a lot of good things within it - I like more local control over things that directly effect citizens within a state and things concerning health care are definitely local.  Even in countries with some form of universal health coverage, a lot of the actual running and managing of it is on a more localize scale.

Now if we could get on to controlling some health care cost, maybe premiums would start sliding downward even more.

Happy Reading and researching.  

You Should Put The Following People & Groups On Your List of Recipients - Most of Them Have Never Even Read Their Own Republican Bill and many Republicans have no intention to do so

1. Trump

2. Pence

3. A Majority of the House Republicans

4. All of the House Democrats

5. A Majority of the Senate Republicans

6. All of the Senate Democrats

7. All of Trumps Base Supporters

8 . A Majority of the rest if the Country

You can exclude me because I am totally ambivalent - whatever the House just passed is meaningless - it won;t ever be a serious piece of Legislation in it's Current Form if at all.

You cannot sell some plan to a Majority of Americans that was drawn up by a bunch of White Rich Guys who's only intent is to patronize their guy in the Whitehouse and expect anyone else to be interested 

They held No Hearings

They Have No Idea How Much it's Actually Going to Cost

Comments from the Senate Republican Leadership

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) criticized his House counterparts for rushing forward without waiting for a Congressional Budget Office analysis or giving members a chance to add amendments or even time to examine the bill's text, which was only finalized on Wednesday evening.

"I'm not so sure this is good civics here," he said.

Some members, including Blunt and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), indicated the Senate might write its own bill from scratch rather than making a few tweaks to the House bill and sending it back.

On the right, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) reiterated Thursday that he had deep philosophical concerns with the House's approach even as he lauded the House Freedom Caucus for improving the bill. It's possible he won't vote for any legislation that subsidizes health insurance, which the House bill does via tax credits and funding for states to stabilize their insurance markets.

Senate Republicans said Thursday they won't vote on the House-passed bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, but will write their own legislation instead.

A Senate proposal is now being developed by a 12-member working group. It will attempt to incorporate elements of the House bill, senators said, but will not take up the House bill as a starting point and change it through the amendment process.

Thanks Gail - Nice Try

Source - http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-wont-vote-on-house-passed-healthcare-bill/article/2622152

Source - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/04/after-house-passage-senate-likely-start-over...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views