Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The American Health Care Act - Summary of Provisions

Message 1 of 21

@rker321

The link which I gave was just a summary of the legislation - there was no critic, no pros, no cons, just the summary.

Kaiser Family Foundation - The American Health Care Act - Summary of the Proposal

What stays in from the ACA

What goes out from the ACA

What is modified and when

What choices individual states can make

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

Gail

Just read the Kaiser link and I don't seem to have read the same things that you have read.
They seem to be quite critical about this plan, and not as happy as you seem to be. i realize that the  Senate probably will gut the whole thing and try to fix the things that need fixing.
You seem to think that the young will now buy insurance because premiums will be lower. well, you are most optimistic  about the young people. with Obamacare they rather pay the fine than actually sign for any health care. and let's face it, those nice young people will be covered by mom and dad until they reach the ripe age of 26.

As usual, we shall see ER's doing the work of many private doctors and of course because they don't have the  money, you and I will pay for them.
If the people with pre conditions are going to suffer as many think that they will , for sure we will see the damage that it will do to our system. 
Let's see, who are the States that will be better and move to them?
Sorry, this was a mistake, and by the way, you are repeating what I have been hearing from politcians since this thing passed.
The CBO score is not really necessary,  With Obamacare it was wrong. WOW Gail, don't tell me that now you have to imitate the politicians.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@Panjandrum wrote:

ChasKy53:  It should have been mandatory for all states to set up an exchange and to expand Medicaid, not requiring this greatly hindered the ACA from being more of a success.

It was originally required, but you have to remember that John Roberts said states could not be compelled to expand Medicaid. That acted as a bugger-all by allowing red states to say no. The same principle would no doubt be applied to making every state set up an exchange.

"But in a move that shocked almost everyone, seven justices, led by Chief Justice John Roberts, placed limits for the first time on Congress’s power to spend money to induce state action. Equally remarkably however, five justices, also led by Chief Justice Roberts, concluded that instead of jettisoning the Medicaid expansion or the Affordable Care Act in its entirety, the proper remedy was simply to limit the federal government’s power to enforce state compliance. Propelled by Medicaid, the Court entered new constitutional territory whose parameters have yet to be determined, even as it saved the act’s central federal Medicaid investment. Virtually nobody foresaw this outcome: not health law scholars immersed in the Affordable Care Act, not constitutional professors steeped in Commerce Clause precedents, and not Court watchers who had parsed the oral arguments".

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/31/8/1663.full

If we all understood there are unintended consequences to inadequately researched decisions to act, the world would be a better place.  There are also unintended consequences that go with "analysis paralysis".  So..Congress Critters AND "the donald"....are you paying attention?  Bet not.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@byrondennis wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

.... I moved to Southern NH where I could practice Living Free and/or Dying without the burdens or impediments of a Sales Tax - Excise Tax - Personal Income Tax - Mandatory Vehicle Insurance - having to wear a helmet riding my MC or some NIMBY Fruit Loop next door aggravating my PTSD

Thanks

1. Just to be clear, I wasn't saying you were off topic. I said I was going off topic.

2. You seem to make a clear argument about why NH is different than MA and why -- I guess -- you prefer living there rather than here. My point is that everyone in every other of the 50 states should be able to make that same kind of choice as to how they want things to be different. One size does not fit all even a few miles apart, as you point out. It sure doesn't fit 330 million people spread across 8 time zones (you and I should be in the Atlantic time zone but that's really off topic) from the Arctic Circle to the Tropics.

Agreed -  but that isn't easy when you have Policy Makers at all levels - Cherry Picking - the issues they think are handled better at the local level then in Washington and who gets to pick the winners and losers ...................................Obamacare is a good example..........................when it became the Democratic law of the land it should have been supported with the same enthusiasm support funding and ammendments that the Republican Trumpcare Plan is sure to receive - if after a decade of honest meaningful universal re-programming and re-purposing and Obamacare was still a complete loser then fine repeal it and repace it with something better. 

Rose Garden Celebrations and even this current thread regarding something that is neither a repeal or replacement for Obamacare or even something remotely resembling a Comprehensive Healthcare Plan and it's certainly not a credible example of giving local control to the people most suited to determining what is best for my families Healthcare..............................................8 Billion in Federal Subsidies - Penalties for not enrolling Timely - More Medicaid Jury Rigging - Age Penalties - Tax Breaks for Wealthy.........................my children will be my age before they even understand their Healthcare Choices never mind make the better choice 

We can now begin to introduce even more meaningless but New Populist Terms like - Fake Celebrations for Fake Healthcare Plans..................................and then ask the question

What are we fighting for..........................Comprehensive Healthcare or Fake Field Goals?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

Here is a response to tie all of the previous replies:

The gun laws do not restrict the mentally imparied for buying weapons. 

The government will allowed mentally impaired to buy weapons

yet if the new health care bill passes it will prevent them from buying medication which helps them beacuse they cannot afford it.

I was a teacher with the mentally and believe me if they are off their meds they can be extremly dangerous. Give them a gun and GOd help us!

For  those of you who do not know there is a a 17% tax cut and 15% corporate tax break tagged onto the bill. Now if one looked at this bill with unbiased eyes if would be obvious Trump and all of his family would greatly benefit for this bill and the average American will get screwed on their health care.

As for me, I am not a democrat, I am not a republican, I am not even a millionaire. I am just an AMERICAN who voted for congressmen and senators to represent me and my well being. This is not happening.

I urge you to call your senators that will be voting on this health care bill. Follow this link to all of their phone numbers.

http://www.contactsenators.com/senator-phone-numbers

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@mickstuder wrote:

.... I moved to Southern NH where I could practice Living Free and/or Dying without the burdens or impediments of a Sales Tax - Excise Tax - Personal Income Tax - Mandatory Vehicle Insurance - having to wear a helmet riding my MC or some NIMBY Fruit Loop next door aggravating my PTSD

Thanks

1. Just to be clear, I wasn't saying you were off topic. I said I was going off topic.

2. You seem to make a clear argument about why NH is different than MA and why -- I guess -- you prefer living there rather than here. My point is that everyone in every other of the 50 states should be able to make that same kind of choice as to how they want things to be different. One size does not fit all even a few miles apart, as you point out. It sure doesn't fit 330 million people spread across 8 time zones (you and I should be in the Atlantic time zone but that's really off topic) from the Arctic Circle to the Tropics.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

ChasKy53:  It should have been mandatory for all states to set up an exchange and to expand Medicaid, not requiring this greatly hindered the ACA from being more of a success.

It was originally required, but you have to remember that John Roberts said states could not be compelled to expand Medicaid. That acted as a bugger-all by allowing red states to say no. The same principle would no doubt be applied to making every state set up an exchange.

"But in a move that shocked almost everyone, seven justices, led by Chief Justice John Roberts, placed limits for the first time on Congress’s power to spend money to induce state action. Equally remarkably however, five justices, also led by Chief Justice Roberts, concluded that instead of jettisoning the Medicaid expansion or the Affordable Care Act in its entirety, the proper remedy was simply to limit the federal government’s power to enforce state compliance. Propelled by Medicaid, the Court entered new constitutional territory whose parameters have yet to be determined, even as it saved the act’s central federal Medicaid investment. Virtually nobody foresaw this outcome: not health law scholars immersed in the Affordable Care Act, not constitutional professors steeped in Commerce Clause precedents, and not Court watchers who had parsed the oral arguments".

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/31/8/1663.full

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@byrondennis wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

LOCAL CONTROL - If you take a look at just one or two Major National Issues where the Federal Government has failed to formualate a National Policy and left it up to the States to decide what they think is best for their citizens - the downside for other Americans citizens is catastrophic

Gun Control - Massachusetts has some of the Toughest Gun Control Laws in the Country - NH where I live has no meaningful Gun Control - I can walk into a Walmart today - purchase a gun and ammunition with nothing more then my drivers license to prove my age and residence and a credit card of cash or check - In a single month I could purchase enough Weaponry and Ammunition to outfit a Drug Gang or some Anti-government militia to wage a small war on Law Enforcement - No Questions asked!

There is nothing to stop me from driving less than a mile - crossing over the NH State Line/Border and into Massachusetts or driving anywhere else in the USA and selling all this weaponry out of the back of my pickup truck - illegal you say of course - so is drug dealing and killing another human being but it happens by the thousands every single year 

Conversely, Massachusetts has some of the most liberal Pot Laws compared to NH and the same thing happens with the Pot Trafficking as with Guns but only in the reverse

I always hate topics that go off subject but now I am going to do it. I could care less about ACHA (that's my kids' problem just as SS going broke in the 80s was my problem) but just out of curiousity I see your examples about MA vs NH above, arguing -- I guess -- against states being different. Are you a native of NH or like half (not sure of exact statistic) of NH, did you move there from MA? If so, why?

You know what I hate - when some expects every response or comment in a thread has to be confined to the Title of the Thread even if the Original Poster does a poor job in the Subject Title or constructing their Original Post 

Gail brought up "Local Control" in her very first post - expecting others to deconstruct her argument using only examples pertaining in this case to specifically healthcare does a disservice to a vibrant meaningful discussion where all even those who didn;t win the DNA Lottery in Word Smithing can participate

Anyway, I'm not necessarily arguing about States Being Different - I'm pointing out several different examples of where Republicans are not consistent in their defense of States Rights - Local Control vs Federal

As far as my Personal Biography.........................

I was raised by a Father who didn;t Love me - got thrown out of the house when I was 15 - finished High School because I was Co-Capt of the Local High School Football Team and scored a lot of Touchdowns every game so the Leaders of the Local Communities found families to take me in and find me jobs after school and in the summer like painting fire hydrants so the next year I could lead the Team to the State Championship in the Cape Ann League.

After that I started stealing cars and breaking into houses but after getting caught I was given a ultimatum by a Judge - join the Military or go to jail - so I went to Vietnam for two tours and then when I got home I turned to alcohol drugs rock & roll and pretty woman............................

That all took place on the Northshore of Mass from Haverhill/Lawrence'Lowell to Gloucester

Oh - and after I had my fifth child including a set of Triplets I moved to Southern NH where I could practice Living Free and/or Dying without the burdens or impediments of a Sales Tax - Excise Tax - Personal Income Tax - Mandatory Vehicle Insurance - having to wear a helmet riding my MC or some NIMBY Fruit Loop next door aggravating my PTSD

In NH I lived most of the time in Portsmouth NH

In Mass I lived strangley enough in areas with almost the same exact Geographic similarities as Portsmouth NH - Newburyport/Merrimac River Deep Water Port - Gloucester/Annisquam River Deep Water Port - Portsmouth/Piscataqua River Deep Water Port

You know looking back now - I probalby would have been happier in the US Navy or even the Coast Guard

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

I suppose there is nothing wrong with the 15% tax cut  for the rich and the 17% tax cut for corporations that has absolutely nothing to do with health care that is tagged on this bill. aka our billionaire president will personally benefit while Americans will loose.

Also people over 50 can be charged over 5x's more for health care benefits.

I am not a democrat I am not a republican, I AM AN AMERICAN. Our president promised us health care equal to or as good as Australia on Friday. I dare him to keep his word instead of doing back door add ons that will hurt Americans.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@byrondennis wrote:

I see your examples about MA vs NH above, arguing -- I guess -- against states being different. Are you a native of NH or like half (not sure of exact statistic) of NH, did you move there from MA? If so, why?

There is nothing wrong with allowing states to have the freedom to 'tweak' small parts of any national legislation. But ................ giving states the freedom to go to great lengths is a mistake.  Case in point ............ the ACA.  It should have been mandatory for all states to set up an exchange and to expand Medicaid, not requiring this greatly hindered the ACA from being more of a success.

In this new Republican health care plan states will have the freedom to opt out of the requirement to force coverage of those with pre-existing conditions. This requirement should be universal.

The answer to our health care problems is a universal single payer health care plan.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views