Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Thanks Walmart - Raises Age To Purchase Guns to 21

Message 1 of 14

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@alferdpackerwrote:

I can't and don't support  the NRA leadership and membership

And of course it's doubtful that anyone has been forcing you to do so.

True - What Theodore Roosevelt said in a speech in New York in 1886, might easily be considered by some to be applicable to the NRA...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

@alferdpackerwrote:

I can't and don't support  the NRA leadership and membership

And of course it's doubtful that anyone has been forcing you to do so.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

@mandm84wrote:

Closing the Gun Show and Private Sale Loopholes are next. Making it mandatory to make all future Gun purchases through a Federally Licensed Dealer with Full Background Checks.

My state of residence mandates that all firearms transfers - private party sales/transfers included - must have a NICS background check performed.

Usual cost $15 to $25 - not a big deal.   It's permitted for the seller to give the purchaser the fee...

There needs to be a Nationwide Federal Law mandating that ALL firearms transfers have a successful NICS background check performed FIRST.

There needs to be a Nationwide Federal Law mandating that mental health providers MUST report to the NICS database any and all patients whose conditions could possibly pose a danger to society.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

@Bydesign001wrote:
So, it's fine for an 18 year old to join the U. S. Military, train with firearms, go off to fight and possibly die for their country but not purchase a semi-automatic rifle. In the meantime, we ignore the elephant in the room, which most mass shooters have in common i.e., mental illness.

There are over 50,000 licensed FFL dealers in the US, the majority of which will sell a semi-automatic firearm and ammunition appropriate for a long gun - but not a revolver or pistol - to someone over 18 and under 21.

WalMart has made a corporate decision - one that any business that sells firearms is free to make.

Delusional and mildly deranged NRA crackpots are free to patronize other businesses...

Suppose that the number of NRA members and supporters were ludicrously inflated to 20 million - well over twice the actual number -  that's still only about a 6 percent crackpot minority...

Mental illness is indeed a problem.

There is no Nationwide Federal Law requiring all mental health providers to report patients that have the potential to be a danger to society directly to the NICS database.

That is indeed a severe problem.

Society does have a right to protect itself from crazy people with firearms...

However - how many local sheriffs, sheriff deputies, police chiefs or police officers who are a NRA members could be expected to consider either requesting or honestly executing a search warrant from a court that convicted a domestic abuser or issued a domestic violence restraining order in order to ensure that unlawfully possessed firearms are not present?

The law says that convicted domestic abusers are not allowed to possess any firearms.

Currently the corrupt NRA is currently attempting to remove that protection for people who have every logical and rational reason to fear retribution and possible lethal consequences from people convicted of domestically abusing them...

Should engaging in domestic abuse be considered a symptom of some form of mental illness?   Yep - no doubt at all...

I can't and don't support  the NRA leadership and membership whom I consider to be a couple of bubbles off of plumb - whose desires and aims are in the long run deleterious to the long term good of the nation and society.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

@mandm84— Good point! I’ve been not only been to gun shows, I’ve actually wirked a booth at gun shows when my husband was alive and his sport fishing charter business was going full tilt,  and I have to tell you some of the people I’ve seen purchasing guns were a bit frightening. Seriously, I’ve seen some really strange acting people at those things.

Transversely, I’ve met some wonderful people at those shows, but they are not the ones that I would worry about regard to the purchase of a weapon. 

With regard to private sales, things there need to tighten up as well, especially with regard to what I believe are called straw sales—when someone buys a gun without disclosing the weapon is for another individual. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

Closing the Gun Show and Private Sale Loopholes are next. Making it mandatory to make all future Gun purchases through a Federally Licensed Dealer with Full Background Checks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@Bydesign001wrote:
Agree with the mentally ill issue. We must deal with that yet time after time it slips off the radar. Lobbyists making their presence felt, I gather but apples and oranges, I suppose that we'll just have to agree to disagree (that's if people still do that).

As for "a real president," what a relief after eight years of failed policies, it's a blessing to exhale...once again.

Oops! There is no president; there is a buffoon who is trying to pass himself off as such. When Mr. Obama was in office, I didn’t wake up day in day out to the utter chaos and criminality I have since trump was elected by a minority of people and with the help of the Russians.

If this is what allows you to breath easily, perhaps the WWF, soap operas, action movies are your thing, and that’s fine, but when the corruption, criminality,  Russian sympathizing, and non stop lies to the American people is the hallmark of an administration as it is trump’s, the stink of that forces one to hold one’s breath as “exhaling” forces one to take another breath, thereby taking in the stench.

trump is a fool, there is no place for weapons of war in the civilian population, and, yes, psychiatric medicine in this country needs to be made more readily available.

Glad we could have this little chat.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

@Bydesign001wrote:
So, it's fine for an 18 year old to join the U. S. Military, train with firearms, go off to fight and possibly die for their country but not purchase a semi-automatic rifle. In the meantime, we ignore the elephant in the room, which most mass shooters have in common i.e., mental illness.

Straight from FOX news, and the NRA.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14
Agree with the mentally ill issue. We must deal with that yet time after time it slips off the radar. Lobbyists making their presence felt, I gather but apples and oranges, I suppose that we'll just have to agree to disagree (that's if people still do that).

As for "a real president," what a relief after eight years of failed policies, it's a blessing to exhale...once again.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

@Bydesign001wrote:

Mitary infantry personnel are trained to use weapons of war, 18 year old civilian kids are not—apples and oranges.

Treating mental health issues is, of course, needed; however, if the mentally ill person has a semi-automatic weapon, slaughters like the one in Florida may be the result.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.