Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Thank You Tax Cut and Jobs Act - It Just Keeps Giving

Message 21 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258

No,  john258,  NOT removed because they did not voting in the last election -

Removed due to the "use it or lose it" law, which starts a process for removing people from voter rolls if they fail to vote, respond to several notices or make contact with election officials over a three-year period.   After that three-year span, those who don't vote or make contact with authorities in two elections can be purged from the voter rolls under the Georgia law. 

That is quite a long time.

People move - people change their name - they die -

they may change or void their GA drivers license, if in GA., they are asked at that time to change the voter registration rolls.  But if they move out of state, they may just throw the old state DL away. 

People fail to change their voter registration to indicate their current condition - they may be still on a voter list somewhere under a different address, a different name or they may be dead.

If they haven't voted under the old name, old address in 3 years - passing (2) presidential voting elections - haven't responded to several mailings to them on the matter - they are removed from the rolls under the identity that has not voted in this length of time.

I know how COLA's are figured - this one is based on the economic data from October 2017 - September 2018.  The Social Security Act specifies a formula for determining each COLA. According to the formula, COLAs are based on increases in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). CPI-Ws are calculated on a monthly basis by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I never said President Obama didn't play a part in the country's recovery - but the figures under his Administration yeilded several years of ZERO COLA -   so yes, the new COLA of 2.8 % is based on the current Administration's CPI-W for the period I mentioned October 2017 - September 2018.

If the cost of things never went up - you are right - we would never need a COLA.

When you create a budget for your household - do you start with your expenses or your income?

As a country, our revenues have gone UP for this fiscal tax period  - that's under the tax cut.  Revenues have gone up for this fiscal tax period over what was collected last year and the year before - that's before the tax cuts.

Spending has also increased -

We can go up on Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes - since we use a unified budget that will fix a whole lot of the deficit.  How it is done is where the fight starts.

Lets go by the numbers.

1. The use it or loose it law was crafted by the Far Right Reb. to stop people from voting as the only way the far right Reb. can win elections is to keep people who might vote against them from voting. Their study showed this type of law would decrease the number of people who vote against them. No where in what our founding fathers gave us will you find such a requirement. Your answer is straight from the Sec. of State in GA play book. He has his followers well trained.

2. You do not know how the COLA is figured. If the far right Reb. have their way it will be figured in a way to reduce what we get, then they will end it, and then they will kill SS just as they have told us. GO read the AARP Bulletin this month. They tell all do not vote for a Reb. if you want to keep SS.

3. You used  your statement about Obama to try and tell people he created the recession which wrecked the economy which was not true, now when called on what you said you want to duck out. This is what happens with the far right. They never have or will accept responsibility for what they do or say. We see it in SA this week on what they did in Turkey. We see it in our Dictator this week. If the Reb. loose the election it is not my fault, but if they wing I did it. Our far right.

4. Tax cuts will always make revenues rise, but if they do not rise enough to more than cover expenses  the Tax cut is a failure, and Trumps is a failure.

The sad thing with the far right plans are they never work for the average people, they hurt them. The only way the far right can stay in power because what they want todo is by brute force. Keeping most in poverty, keep people from voting, banding together with other dictators. Well so far that has not worked in the world. This country was founded by people breaking away from a far right dictator. Now over 100 years later we see the far right trying to take back this country from the people for a dictator

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

Taxes were already near record lows , So Tax cuts are just what our Nation needed to further reduce the Tax Revenue to pay for such things as our Infrastructure , Schools , Law Enforcement , Fire , Hospitals , Healthcare Programs , etc etc etc. Yeah its great for the top 1% only.

More far right crapola to feed the Plutocratic Pig !!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

@john258

No,  john258,  NOT removed because they did not voting in the last election -

Removed due to the "use it or lose it" law, which starts a process for removing people from voter rolls if they fail to vote, respond to several notices or make contact with election officials over a three-year period.   After that three-year span, those who don't vote or make contact with authorities in two elections can be purged from the voter rolls under the Georgia law. 

That is quite a long time.

People move - people change their name - they die -

they may change or void their GA drivers license, if in GA., they are asked at that time to change the voter registration rolls.  But if they move out of state, they may just throw the old state DL away. 

People fail to change their voter registration to indicate their current condition - they may be still on a voter list somewhere under a different address, a different name or they may be dead.

If they haven't voted under the old name, old address in 3 years - passing (2) presidential voting elections - haven't responded to several mailings to them on the matter - they are removed from the rolls under the identity that has not voted in this length of time.

I know how COLA's are figured - this one is based on the economic data from October 2017 - September 2018.  The Social Security Act specifies a formula for determining each COLA. According to the formula, COLAs are based on increases in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). CPI-Ws are calculated on a monthly basis by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I never said President Obama didn't play a part in the country's recovery - but the figures under his Administration yeilded several years of ZERO COLA -   so yes, the new COLA of 2.8 % is based on the current Administration's CPI-W for the period I mentioned October 2017 - September 2018.

If the cost of things never went up - you are right - we would never need a COLA.

When you create a budget for your household - do you start with your expenses or your income?

As a country, our revenues have gone UP for this fiscal tax period  - that's under the tax cut.  Revenues have gone up for this fiscal tax period over what was collected last year and the year before - that's before the tax cuts.

Spending has also increased -

We can go up on Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes - since we use a unified budget that will fix a whole lot of the deficit.  How it is done is where the fight starts.

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

A lot of us got this type of refund and that is good. Overall all of us will be paying more for most items due to the fake Jobs and Tax cut sham Trump gave us. Look at the Deficit now higher that ever before so cost on that increase. By the way you have posted a number of times how bad the deficit is, now you have changed. New housing prices we are told are going up, along with new cars. We have seen the loss in jobs in a number of business areas. Newspaper being one of them. You are just giving us the far right line on this subject. There was no tax cut to average Americans, but to the top only. FACT. This is like the voter suppression going on in your state, and you do not understand that.

Well if you got one too - Thank the Tax Cuts - and add it to the amount you realized from it.

Why would you be paying more because of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act?

Actually more people are working and wages are even beginning to go up - wait til the consumer spending season is upon us and see all the rush to hire - wages may come up even more at that time because of competition to get good employees. Nothing boost wages faster than companies having to compete for good workers when the labor market is tight, as it is now.

I heard the other day that UPS and Amazon will be hiring an extraordinary number of people for the Xmas season - then add in all the retailers who will also be adding staff.  ALL of them will be paying taxes of all kinds - with income tax and payroll taxes adding into the US cofers.

With the economy moving as it is and with our trade balance narrowing, I think we will continue to see an increase in revenues - but we have to cut spending to make the deficit shrink even more.  There is always 2-side to balancing a checkbook, whether that is at a personal level or at the federal level - bring in more money and cut back on spending.

New homes and cars go up almost every year, more so in years when the economy is doing well, as it is now.  In fact everything goes up when times are good, like property values and with that property taxes.  Yes, times are good - A 2.8% COLA for 2019 - that is the biggest we have had since 2011 with many years since then being a BIG FAT ZERO and as a bonus only a few dollars increase in Part B premiums for 2019 for most people.

The tax cuts are helping everybody who pays any income taxes. Many people just don't keep up with this until it comes to filling out and submitting the 1040 next year.  My post here about getting a credit from my utility company is another example of the tax cut which is affecting everybody if they pay a power bill to GA. Power.  $ 40.00 off my bill and this is just for this period - more still to come.  Do you think the average person even looked at what it was and where it came from or did they just blindly pay their bill?  Give Credit where credit is due.

Newspapers have been going the way of the dinosaurs for a very long time - haven't you heard of the digital age.

We need to cut spending now to make things even better.

09/28/2018 - Investor Business - NO, Tax Cuts Are Not Driving Deficits - It's The Spending

Each month the Treasury Department releases its tally of federal spending and revenues. The most recent data are through the month of August. Since the federal government starts its fiscal year in October, the latest report includes all but one month of the 2018 fiscal year.

Through August, the federal deficit topped $898 billion. Over the same period last year the deficit was $674 billion.

So, the deficit is running $224 billion higher this fiscal year compared with last.

But the Treasury data also show that federal revenues through August totaled $2.985 trillion. That's an increase of $19 billion over the previous year.

In other words, despite Trump's massive tax cuts, federal revenues are running higher this year than last.

The problem is that federal spending has climbed even faster. Through August, outlays totaled $3.88 trillion. That's $243 billion more than the prior fiscal year.

There is no voter suppression here - those innuendos are just political plays. Most likely to set the stage for a legal challenge after the election if they lose.  You have to understand all the details before you jump to conclusion about this - details which the MSM misses or doesn't bother to cover.

Isn't 26 months from a written notification (believe more than one if no response) about a problem with a one's voting registration, enough time to get it corrected?  Getting stuff like this corrected is just part of life and this one is important cause it also involves their Social Security and Drivers License file.  Personally, I have always been a person that went the extra mile - dotting all my "i"s and crossing all my "t"s - and making sure I handle matters such as this in a timely manner.

They can vote if they show up with an approved picture ID and then the problem is corrected.

New lawsuit being filed today on one county's absentee ballots being rejected at a higher percentage than the rest of the state - no proof of anything except that the % is higher.  It is the 2nd biggest county by population in the state, has more immigrants - legal and illegal - than anyplace else in GA..  It has more than 5 percent or 10,000 citizens of voting age who are members of a single language minority and have difficulty speaking English.  So it is a very diversified place - because of its diversity numbers, it has began to offer everything connected to voting in a bilingual manner - even poll workers and bilingual absentee ballots if they request it.

So who knows why their absentee ballot rejections are at a higher % than the rest of the state - since that was the whole complaint I guess research will begin.

Just guessing but it seems that for such as divsified place with as many people having difficulty speaking English - the increased % of rejected absentee ballots could just be something that they did not fill out properly. 

Lets start with the last para. first. Just heard this evening that GA Sec. of State removed over 100,000 from voting rolls for not voting in the last election. No where is a person required to vote, and the RIGHT TO VOTE is given to all Americans in our Constitution. So GA is at it again. The far right Reb. who control the State of GA know they only way they can win is to keep people from voting. GA is back to a Dictatorship under governing crew of Reb. It is sad but not surprising to see the enablers of this horror defend what has happened in the State. Lets hope this might change  and in Nov. this group of oppressors will be thrown out of office.

We got ours some months ago, and there were major corp. who raised wages because they new what Trump did was wrong so they tried to do their part to pass down to the people below the top some of the refund they got. We are still living in the Obama era as far as the economy goes. What Trump is giving us will start to show up before long. There is a lag in this area and the experts tell us that. The last Bush Sec. of Treasury was on TV about a week ago and explained it. Looks like you missed that. SS increase is based on the Economy inflation numbers. We haven't had any over the past few years due to the recession which has come to a close, and Trump had nothing to do that. You said you were an expert on this. Well looks like you missed a few areas. By the way Trump will end the way the increase is computed if he has his way. We would get less. Trump would also end Medicare, SS. The Reb. running for congress where I am told all he would end all of those programs on a TV interview show. You use the far right Reb. line expenses are still going up so we have to cut expenses. Of course they are going up since the revenue to cover them has been cut, but the Reb. as they have said will now try and cut expenses by going after SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and every other program that helps the average person. Sadly the followers of the far right will help them. You really  give us the far right line just about word for word. The far right have no understanding of the problem, and sadly it will be the leaders of the far right who make out well, with the followers left by the wayside, but they do not understand that.  The material you show mean nothing in the way you show it. What it does tell me is that you do not understand this subject.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

@john258 wrote:

A lot of us got this type of refund and that is good. Overall all of us will be paying more for most items due to the fake Jobs and Tax cut sham Trump gave us. Look at the Deficit now higher that ever before so cost on that increase. By the way you have posted a number of times how bad the deficit is, now you have changed. New housing prices we are told are going up, along with new cars. We have seen the loss in jobs in a number of business areas. Newspaper being one of them. You are just giving us the far right line on this subject. There was no tax cut to average Americans, but to the top only. FACT. This is like the voter suppression going on in your state, and you do not understand that.

Well if you got one too - Thank the Tax Cuts - and add it to the amount you realized from it.

Why would you be paying more because of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act?

Actually more people are working and wages are even beginning to go up - wait til the consumer spending season is upon us and see all the rush to hire - wages may come up even more at that time because of competition to get good employees. Nothing boost wages faster than companies having to compete for good workers when the labor market is tight, as it is now.

I heard the other day that UPS and Amazon will be hiring an extraordinary number of people for the Xmas season - then add in all the retailers who will also be adding staff.  ALL of them will be paying taxes of all kinds - with income tax and payroll taxes adding into the US cofers.

With the economy moving as it is and with our trade balance narrowing, I think we will continue to see an increase in revenues - but we have to cut spending to make the deficit shrink even more.  There is always 2-side to balancing a checkbook, whether that is at a personal level or at the federal level - bring in more money and cut back on spending.

New homes and cars go up almost every year, more so in years when the economy is doing well, as it is now.  In fact everything goes up when times are good, like property values and with that property taxes.  Yes, times are good - A 2.8% COLA for 2019 - that is the biggest we have had since 2011 with many years since then being a BIG FAT ZERO and as a bonus only a few dollars increase in Part B premiums for 2019 for most people.

The tax cuts are helping everybody who pays any income taxes. Many people just don't keep up with this until it comes to filling out and submitting the 1040 next year.  My post here about getting a credit from my utility company is another example of the tax cut which is affecting everybody if they pay a power bill to GA. Power.  $ 40.00 off my bill and this is just for this period - more still to come.  Do you think the average person even looked at what it was and where it came from or did they just blindly pay their bill?  Give Credit where credit is due.

Newspapers have been going the way of the dinosaurs for a very long time - haven't you heard of the digital age.

We need to cut spending now to make things even better.

09/28/2018 - Investor Business - NO, Tax Cuts Are Not Driving Deficits - It's The Spending

Each month the Treasury Department releases its tally of federal spending and revenues. The most recent data are through the month of August. Since the federal government starts its fiscal year in October, the latest report includes all but one month of the 2018 fiscal year.

Through August, the federal deficit topped $898 billion. Over the same period last year the deficit was $674 billion.

So, the deficit is running $224 billion higher this fiscal year compared with last.

But the Treasury data also show that federal revenues through August totaled $2.985 trillion. That's an increase of $19 billion over the previous year.

In other words, despite Trump's massive tax cuts, federal revenues are running higher this year than last.

The problem is that federal spending has climbed even faster. Through August, outlays totaled $3.88 trillion. That's $243 billion more than the prior fiscal year.

There is no voter suppression here - those innuendos are just political plays. Most likely to set the stage for a legal challenge after the election if they lose.  You have to understand all the details before you jump to conclusion about this - details which the MSM misses or doesn't bother to cover.

Isn't 26 months from a written notification (believe more than one if no response) about a problem with a one's voting registration, enough time to get it corrected?  Getting stuff like this corrected is just part of life and this one is important cause it also involves their Social Security and Drivers License file.  Personally, I have always been a person that went the extra mile - dotting all my "i"s and crossing all my "t"s - and making sure I handle matters such as this in a timely manner.

They can vote if they show up with an approved picture ID and then the problem is corrected.

New lawsuit being filed today on one county's absentee ballots being rejected at a higher percentage than the rest of the state - no proof of anything except that the % is higher.  It is the 2nd biggest county by population in the state, has more immigrants - legal and illegal - than anyplace else in GA..  It has more than 5 percent or 10,000 citizens of voting age who are members of a single language minority and have difficulty speaking English.  So it is a very diversified place - because of its diversity numbers, it has began to offer everything connected to voting in a bilingual manner - even poll workers and bilingual absentee ballots if they request it.

So who knows why their absentee ballot rejections are at a higher % than the rest of the state - since that was the whole complaint I guess research will begin.

Just guessing but it seems that for such as divsified place with as many people having difficulty speaking English - the increased % of rejected absentee ballots could just be something that they did not fill out properly. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

Georgia Power Gives Tax Credit to Customers - 1st of 3

Georgia Power customers will see a smaller than usual bill this month as the Atlanta-based utility applies the first of three refunds associated with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.

Georgia Power, a subsidiary of the Southern Company (NYSE: SO), said Wednesday that these refunds are a result of the reduction in Georgia Power's federal corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. Customers will receive the refunds based upon energy consumption from January through August 2018.

The typical residential customer using an average of 1,000 kilowatt-hours per month would receive a refund of nearly $28 on their October bill, Georgia Power said.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act benefits were confirmed in March as part of an agreement with Georgia Public Service Commission staff.

Georgia Power said it will provide a total of three separate refunds totaling $330 million. This first refund of $131 million is being issued in October 2018, with the subsequent refunds scheduled for June 2019 and February 2020.

Mine was a bit larger than the average since I am total electric - NICE !

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30

@mickstuder wrote:

@

I'm going to make sure I research this a little more - I'm sure it's just a coincidence that at the same time Georgia is guilty of the most egregious Republican Orchestrated Voter Suppression in the Country - the Georgia Power Company is giving away money to Voters exactly two weeks before a Mid-term election

Plans were made for this back in March/April 2018 - this was just the 1st one in the scheduled credits to come off our bills. GA. PSC was instrumental in getting this done. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/04/03/federal-tax-cuts-paying-off-for-georgia-power.ht...

And they go up on my dividend rate each year - I have been an investor in their Dividend Reinvestment Plan since I was a very young adult - bought into it with a minimum amount initially ( I think it was about $ 100)  and have continued to do it year after year. - NICE !

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

@Richva wrote:

Of course, the 31% decrease in corporate tax collections is a problem but not to worry. The Repulicans are going to shrink Social Security to pay for it. 

I'm going to make sure I research this a little more - I'm sure it's just a coincidence that at the same time Georgia is guilty of the most egregious Republican Orchestrated Voter Suppression in the Country - the Georgia Power Company is giving away money to Voters exactly two weeks before a Mid-term election

( " If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, and this is all that it proves. Sam Adams )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 30

Of course, the 31% decrease in corporate tax collections is a problem but not to worry. The Repulicans are going to shrink Social Security to pay for it. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Thank You Tax Cut and Jobs Act - It Just Keeps Giving

Message 30 of 30

Georgia Power Gives Tax Credit to Customers - 1st of 3

Georgia Power customers will see a smaller than usual bill this month as the Atlanta-based utility applies the first of three refunds associated with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.

Georgia Power, a subsidiary of the Southern Company (NYSE: SO), said Wednesday that these refunds are a result of the reduction in Georgia Power's federal corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent. Customers will receive the refunds based upon energy consumption from January through August 2018.

The typical residential customer using an average of 1,000 kilowatt-hours per month would receive a refund of nearly $28 on their October bill, Georgia Power said.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act benefits were confirmed in March as part of an agreement with Georgia Public Service Commission staff.

Georgia Power said it will provide a total of three separate refunds totaling $330 million. This first refund of $131 million is being issued in October 2018, with the subsequent refunds scheduled for June 2019 and February 2020.

Mine was a bit larger than the average since I am total electric - NICE !

Kudos
Views
Replies