Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Texas Is Now A Swing State

Message 1 of 14

@MaVolta wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I hardly think Texas is a swing state but give it another five or eight years. They keep getting hammered by the Republicans. 

It's changing more quickly than you think. For years, D's gave up and conceded power to the R-T-party. Voter turnout has always been the among the worst in the nation. That is changing. 

Beto showed D's what was possible with some hard work and willingness to fight back. Some called 2018 the Beto effect, but it's more than that. Demographics are changing rapidly. Thousands moving here per month, and mostly from blue states. The population is far younger than it used to be with a median age of 32. It's becoming more urban and suburban. (The two largest and wealthiest districts in Dallas and Harris counties were flipped to blue. Even a solid red district in Tarrant county flipped to blue, and that was a shock to R's.) Combined minorities now outnumber whites. There is also indication of growing secularism, especially among younger voters. There is also much greater religious diversity here than ever before, so it's not just evangelical Christians that make up the religious communities.

While it won't turn blue overnight, the D's have realized that they have something to fight for. The gains made in 2018 at the state house had a significant impact on legislation this past session. D's want more. They need wins in 2020 to fight the gerry-mandered districts, and D's are targeting specific seats at the state and national levels. 

Beto proved what could happen if you got lazy D's to register and go vote. In 2018, Texas saw an 18% increase in voter turnout, 6th highest in the nation. But that was still only about 44% of eligible voters. There are votes here for the taking. D's just have to show that they are willing to compete and work for it. Beto showed them the lay of the land. The party just needs to follow through and dedicate the resources to make it happen. 

Very interesting to read. My best buddy in Dallas is a Latina Muslim, flaming liberal. I wondered how she was doing down there but she says her area is pretty liberal. She’s a big Beto fan.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

@MaVolta wrote:

No, I don't think so.  I think it was the DNC deciding that it was 'Hillary's turn' and her gender was somehow supposed to make it legitimate. It was choice of candidate that lost. 

Not just the DNC but the theme of posts here during the primaries and general election.  Gender was the paramount reason to support her.  The Democrat party has a problem in using 'quotas' as a reason to support national candidates.  The party is too wrapped up in that 'it's time for a woman' or fill in the blanks for elective office, not necessarily for someone who can fill the office the best.

The party theme in 2016 was either 'it's her time' or 'it's time for a female'.  There was no consideration about what mid-America wanted.

I don't see Texas being anything further than purple in 2020.  Beto was running against Cruz this past election.  He doesn't have that strong a base in the state, but it will be a different matter with Cornyn who is more established.

As a disclaimer, I have no idea of who I would be supporting in either election in 2020.  I don't vote party but for the person.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

Presently, I'm rooting for a woman at the top of the ticket. 

Isn't that thought what lead to the election of Trump in 2016?

No, I don't think so.  I think it was the DNC deciding that it was 'Hillary's turn' and her gender was somehow supposed to make it legitimate. It was choice of candidate that lost. 

After seeing the success of women candidates in the 2018 mid-terms, I'm not ready to discount a female candidate. However, I do still support Beto, and I want to see how things play out over the debates before I make a decision on the Texas primary.

If Biden turns out to be the guy to take down Trump, so be it. I'm just not sure that that is the case. I don't think that Biden will have support of younger voters, and he can't win (against Trump) without them.Turnout is everything in 2020.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

@MaVolta wrote:

Presently, I'm rooting for a woman at the top of the ticket. 

Isn't that thought what lead to the election of Trump in 2016?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

@MaVolta wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Beto should run for the Senate, he would be running against an opponent with a 44% approval rating.  We need the Senate !

Yes, or even Julian Castro. Someone with name recognition. I doubt that Beto will change his mind to run against Cornyn. I'm hoping that he can regain some traction that might make him a viable VP nominee, say with Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren. Presently, I'm rooting for a woman at the top of the ticket. 

I would like to see Jay Inslee in the White House over any of them, he was in Congress and a Governor, very qualified but it's a shame he has gotten no traction.  I really like his viewpoint of moving towards leading the world in using alternative energies and manufacturing the goods involved, creating millions of jobs and generating more taxes to help pay for a national health care plan. I will have to wait and decide who I would like besides him .............. but my vote in the end will be for the Democrats.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

@MaVolta wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Beto should run for the Senate, he would be running against an opponent with a 44% approval rating.  We need the Senate !

Yes, or even Julian Castro. Someone with name recognition. I doubt that Beto will change his mind to run against Cornyn. I'm hoping that he can regain some traction that might make him a viable VP nominee, say with Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren. Presently, I'm rooting for a woman at the top of the ticket. 

I really like both of them  a lot. but this is not their time  Unfortunately Trump is at this point too strong in the minds of many to have the idea of a Woman with leftist tendencies in the White House.
LIke I have been saying all of these ideas have their place in time but they are not now.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Hurrah, finally an intelligent  thought

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

@Richva wrote:

I hardly think Texas is a swing state but give it another five or eight years. They keep getting hammered by the Republicans. 

It's changing more quickly than you think. For years, D's gave up and conceded power to the R-T-party. Voter turnout has always been the among the worst in the nation. That is changing. 

Beto showed D's what was possible with some hard work and willingness to fight back. Some called 2018 the Beto effect, but it's more than that. Demographics are changing rapidly. Thousands moving here per month, and mostly from blue states. The population is far younger than it used to be with a median age of 32. It's becoming more urban and suburban. (The two largest and wealthiest districts in Dallas and Harris counties were flipped to blue. Even a solid red district in Tarrant county flipped to blue, and that was a shock to R's.) Combined minorities now outnumber whites. There is also indication of growing secularism, especially among younger voters. There is also much greater religious diversity here than ever before, so it's not just evangelical Christians that make up the religious communities.

While it won't turn blue overnight, the D's have realized that they have something to fight for. The gains made in 2018 at the state house had a significant impact on legislation this past session. D's want more. They need wins in 2020 to fight the gerry-mandered districts, and D's are targeting specific seats at the state and national levels. 

Beto proved what could happen if you got lazy D's to register and go vote. In 2018, Texas saw an 18% increase in voter turnout, 6th highest in the nation. But that was still only about 44% of eligible voters. There are votes here for the taking. D's just have to show that they are willing to compete and work for it. Beto showed them the lay of the land. The party just needs to follow through and dedicate the resources to make it happen. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors