You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Term Limits

Message 1 of 5

gruffstuff is right - It's not how long the person remains in office, its who the person was BEFORE we elected them to office, and the best way to make those the best possible folks is to let as many people as possible consider their qualifications and ideas. Universal voter registration in the schools when you turn 18, restoring voting rights when your sentence is complete and only use death notices to purge anyone from the voting roles.

Then perhaps the folks who represent all the people will find a way to turn off the Republican Propaganda Ministry so we don't have so many misinformed voters - reenstating  the Fairness Doctrine would be a great first step.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

As an independent voter witnessing the shameful events around our elections every two years I think we Americans should install term limits.

I think we need a Voting Rights Act that applies to all fifty states , ranked voting like they just implemented in Maine, and mail on ballots like they have in Oregon and Washington state.

Automatic voter registration at age 18, standardized voting procedures in all fifty states, secure elections, state hood for Washington DC and Puerto Rico.

Restore voting rights to people once they are released from jail.

I think we should do everything we can to expand and protect democracy.

I don't see how term limits do that, basically you are telling people who they can't vote for.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@GaryT58030 wrote:

As an independent voter witnessing the shameful events around our elections every two years I think we Americans should install term limits. I'm not going to say one party is worse than the other but these million dollar campaigns initiated by special interest groups line the incumbents pockets and give their campaign a huge boost. Are our voices truly being heard?  How is this reflecting the American voter who maybe  into other issues not those of special interests. Our government was installed in 1789 by common ordinary citizens that were upset with the demanding rules imposed on them by England. The amount of money being spent on these career politicians only makes them more into themselves and less into the country as a whole. Would term limits be the answer? Possibly but it's something that may needs to be tried  What do we have to lose? Our cities are in shambles, the Federal government is busted but yet year after year we hear the same old stories and things just keep getting worse for those of us that pay our taxes every year. In the city I live in road repair is over 200 years in the hole but trolleys are more important than roads and bridges it makes sense to some but not me....Pretty cities are wonderful but I need to be able to travel around without wrecking my car or paying high fees 

IMHO Term Limits will not solve anything. If we want epople dedicated to doing a good job in a limited period of time, let's reinstitute the DRAFT, only instead of millions of soldiers sent to die somewhere they can't pronounce, these new "draftees" would take seats in the House and Senate, and aget the work of The People DONE, and then go back home, just like 16 million Americans did in WWII. One certainty, 432 DRAFTED CITIZENS cannot do worse than the politicians elected with the waste of billions of dollars have done for the past couple decades.

About the condition of our infrastructure - one of the many scams Reagan ran to claim to pay for his humungeous redistribution of income and wealth was to end Revenue Sharing whereby billions collected from the Uberrich were given to States who gave it to cities and counties to build and maintain our infrastructure. That's how we got World Class schools, highways, hospitals, police protection and parks. If you liked the way things were built and maintaianed in from around 1950 until 1980, never vote for a Republican and perhaps we can repeal the Reagan taxscam and return to the days when we paid for what we enjoyed together.

About the trolleys - if you think about it, our cities were NEVER built for automobiles to be the primary source of transportation, and the fact is, we CANNOT rebuild them to accomodate cars. Consider each and every effort to bulldoze new roads through old buildings and neighborhoods to "ease congestion", and how long it took for the new roads to become just as congested as the old ones. In the space needed for 2 cars with 2 people you can get 1 electric trolley with 40 people and no exhaust fumes. Compare getting around in LA with Portland Oregon and discover there's no comparison. In Portland, you don't even need a car, in LA you'll sacrifice your living space to have one.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@GaryT58030 wrote:

As an independent voter witnessing the shameful events around our elections every two years I think we Americans should install term limits. I'm not going to say one party is worse than the other but these million dollar campaigns initiated by special interest groups line the incumbents pockets and give their campaign a huge boost. Are our voices truly being heard?  How is this reflecting the American voter who maybe  into other issues not those of special interests. Our government was installed in 1789 by common ordinary citizens that were upset with the demanding rules imposed on them by England. The amount of money being spent on these career politicians only makes them more into themselves and less into the country as a whole. Would term limits be the answer? Possibly but it's something that may needs to be tried  What do we have to lose? Our cities are in shambles, the Federal government is busted but yet year after year we hear the same old stories and things just keep getting worse for those of us that pay our taxes every year. In the city I live in road repair is over 200 years in the hole but trolleys are more important than roads and bridges it makes sense to some but not me....Pretty cities are wonderful but I need to be able to travel around without wrecking my car or paying high fees 

We already have Term Limits

They are called Elections

Unfortunately, if Americans dont care enough to Vote & more importantly vote out every Incumbent - every Election Cycle - until they start solving Americas Problems & making the Lives of All Americans better - instead of only working to extend their own careers by catering to the need of Special Interests - it really makes no difference if there are New People because of term limits - if they are all still bought & paid for like they are now

Having said all that - I would still vote for Term Limits & anything else that would get Career Politicians out of Office

They are all parasites - Democrats & Republicans

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Term Limits

Message 5 of 5

Kudos
Views
Replies