AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time and why

Message 181 of 343

FDR is my favorite president.  He helped pull us out of the Great Depression with the New Deal.  The CCC and WPA put people to work.   And he helped create the middle class largely through programs like the GI Bill, that helped homecoming WWII vets go to school and buy a home.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 182 of 343

I'll choose who I feel was the best President in my lifetime - JFK.

I recently watched a DVD on Kennedy. I think it was a 9 part series documentary. I was very impressed.

A movie called "13 Days" about the Cuban Missile Crises. I think it was an Oliver Stone movie showing behind the scenes look. Exciting movie even though I knew the outcome.

I'm no historian, but FDR seems to be my choice for all time best President. He was no doubt the most popular with voters.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 343

d33, as far as Reagan's economic policies; in the short term, they worked and jump started a recovery from the recession. If anyone remembers what things were like in 1980; the economy was in a recession with double digit inflation and jobs being lost. The tax cuts in 1981 put a lot of money in people's pockets and helped revive the economy. 

Reagan was far from perfect, but he was the right President at the right time. I likes his optimism even though i did not agree with all his policies. Another thing about Reagan was that he might argue or debate issues with his opponents, he never demomized those who disagreed with him. He would have serious and contentious discusions with House Speaker Tip O'Neil; then after the discussions they would sit and have some scotch and joke among themselves. Somehow I cannot imagine President Obama and Paul Ryan doing that. 

Reagan was effective and got things done. That was mostly because he knew what to say and was able to compromise and take what congress would give him. BTW the Fairness Doctrine was something pushed by former Senator Jesse Helms who was a conservative talk radio host before being elected to the senate. That was passed by a congress that was controlled by the Democratic party so it had a lot of Democratic support. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 343

I respectfully disagree. Reagan hurt the economy with his trickle down economics, getting rid of the fairness Doctrine, and trashing of the middle class X the worst ending ever seen before George Bush. Obama raised our standards for not only Healthcare but for every community in the United States not just for the priveledged few.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 343

I respectfully disagree. Reagan hurt the economy with his trickle down economics, getting rid of the fairness Doctrine, and trashing of the middle class X the worst ending ever seen before George Bush. Obama raised our standards for not only Healthcare but for every community in the United States not just the white community.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 343

My Vote goes to Barrack Obama. On Healthcare Reform alone he's proven to be the most enduring and capable of Public Servants since FDR. He's had to manage with a Hostile Congress and overall Toxic Political Environment. The personal attacks leveled at him have been a display of ugliness not seen here since the KKK Days.

All through it he has displayed and  maintained a completely graceful, dignified and Presidential persona which has shown the resilience of America and it's People. He was handed the worst Economic Disaster since the Great Depression and has steadfastly directed a highly controversial Recovery. There have been Foreign Affairs blunders, but the Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia messess were alson beyond control as he took Office.

JFK is a close Second, but the Bay of Pigs Fiasco, and Viet Nam polices brought great distress.

Most Honorable Mention and Honarary Perpetual All-time Honors bestowed in my humble opinion go to Geo. Washiington and FDR.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 343

It is a tough choice between President Obama and President Carter.  Both have a strong sense of dignity and humility, intelligence and warmth.  Age wins here; I'm going to say President Carter.  He's no longer President, and he's given up being a politician, but he's always an Ambassador.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 343

Ronald Reagan. Because he stood up for America as the Shining City on a Hill. Obama has done knocked the city down the hill and has almost turned out the lights! He was a true Conservative that realized that government is the real problem along with the liberal news organizations that do their bidding.

He despised the lying Media that was controlled by the left-winged Democrats and still is, so he always took his case directly to the people. He had the courage to fight the threats of the day, stood tall, and was victorious. His policies brought a huge surplus to Clinton in the 1990's,created thousands of new jobs and had the largest economic growth of any president ever during a time of peace.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 189 of 343

I think you are totally wrong about being the worst of all time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 343

I really have to say that President Obama is my pick for favorite President of all time. It is a bit early but I believe that Obama will be one of the greatest Presidents in our nations history he is very well spoken and tries very hard to work on partisan solutions as well as doing what is right for the majority of the nation not thinking only of his self or how his family can make money from holding the most powerful job in our country. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors