Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 241 of 343

df2093 posted:

I find Johnson to be one of the WORST because of his comment "give the "N"'s welfare and they will vote Democrat for life. HOW demeaning! AND? Racist. FYI It was the other side of the aisle the right side that actually fought and won the end of segregation and were the ones that fought the hardest FOR civil rights. The Democrats looked at blacks like bait and exploited them for votes. They destroyed the black family by making there be zero responsibility for fathers to care for their kids with handouts to the women in wlefare.

Are you sure that LBJ actually said that or did someone else make that statement? LBJ was known for his crass and often vulgar comments, but the man who pushed hard for and eventually signed into law the Civil Rights Act into law in 1964 to have said something like that is a stretch. 

One thing that LBJ did say was, after he signed into law the Civil Rights Act, "we have just lost the south for a long time". Since that his words have rung true. Those southern Democrats have since joined the Republican party and today the south is one of the strongest parts of the country for the Republican party. In fact some of the words coming from those southern Republicans are not much different than the words that came from the old racist southern Democrats back in the 1960s. 

Actually most historians regard LBJ as one of the best and most effective Presidents in history. He not only advocated for and signed the Civil Rights Act into law, but also the Voting Rights Act in 1965. He is largely credited with the passage of Medicare and Medicaid in 1965 as well as federal aid to education.

When he graduated fron college, LBJ was a teacher at a school with a high number of children in poverty. He never forgot that and pushed hard to improve educational opportunities for poor children. He was a very strong advocate for education throughout his life. One of his pet programs (and one of the biggest successes of his "Great Society") is the Head Start Program that helps children from impoverished families get ready for kindergarten. 

The major flaw with LBJ's administration was that he couldn't avoid getting the United States entrapped in the war in Vietnam. He inherited that war from JFK who inherited it from Eisenhower. But is was LBJ who was mainly responsible for escalating the war as far as American troops fighting in Vietnam. By the end of his administration the country was very divided on the war in Vietnam and it drove him from office. 

But to paraphrase Shakespeare; the evil that one does is buried with them while the good that they did endures. Looking back from fifty years, the war in Vietnam is ancient history for many Americans and we now trade with and travel to Vietnam. But the programs initiated by LBJ have endured. The food stamp program, Head Start, Medicare, Medicaid, federal aid to education, the civil rights act and the voting rights act still endure and have reshaped the nation for the better. None of those would be here had it not been for LBJ's efforts and administration. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Ronald Reagan

Message 242 of 343

Ronald Reagan - Intelligent, proud American, honored the military, kind to White House personnel and Secret Service, dedicated, so many more reasons

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 243 of 343

@Stormcloud259 wrote:
I'd have to agree with alferdpacker, on FDR, JKF BO and would have to add Eisenhower for the interstate highway system that crosses this country of ours.

Let's not forget Ike's support for Unions, the minimum wage, the UN, an equal rights for men and women Amendment, and the job he did on Hitler.

Then there's this: "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are...a few...Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid," wrote Republican President Dwight Eisenhower to his brother in 1954. Unfortunately, this splinter group is now in charge of this once-respectable political party.

I STILL like Ike.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 244 of 343
Barack Obama
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 245 of 343
I'd have to agree with alferdpacker, on FDR, JKF BO and would have to add Eisenhower for the interstate highway system that crosses this country of ours.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 246 of 343

Jimmy Carter is one of the few that has "walked the talk"...honest, kind, compassionate and a Christian in the truest sense of the word.  Jimmy is a tireless worker for peace, an advocate for women's rights across the globe and an active participant in Habitat for Humanity. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 247 of 343

I agree

@rker321 wrote:

FDR Truman and Obama, each of those Presidents had to deal with many really important issues in their time in office.
I put Obama in that list, because he has had to deal with the fact that being the first African American in office he porbably has been the most vilified and insulted President in all our history.
I believe that we will see his name and his place in history.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 248 of 343

Barack Obama.   With a hostile Senate and mostly hostile House he's kept his faith steady in both democratic process and the American people.  The legislators are not lukewarm, they are actively hostile and apparently proud of it.   The president keeps doing the right thing and when that doesn't work he keeps TRYING to do the right thing.

(His opponents consider themselves patriotic!)  

Corporations amok?  Corporate executives have no legal (or moral) obligation to their shareholders.  This is a new idea in these past 30 years; I believed it myself.  Turns out that executives are paid in so much stock that they suddenly take care that their corporation's stock value goes up . .and up . . .despite the harm to American life done by guttering wages and lack of full-time decent-paying jobs.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 249 of 343

My favorite president was Ronald Reagan. He was tough, fair and had an amazing way of bringing humor to the forefront. I felt that was very comforting. I liked Reaganomics because it helped in getting our country back in financial shape.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 250 of 343

Jimmy Carter

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors