Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 261 of 343

BO is my 2nd pick............but close to FDR.....Woman Very Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 262 of 343

My favorite president of all time is Barack Obama.  In the face of apalling disrespect and obstruction from his politac opponents he has always remained calm and reasonable.  I don't always agree with his actions but I know that he always makes them in an informed and cerebral way.  I value how intelligent he is and how much knowlege he brings to his job.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 263 of 343

My favorite President, of course, are those that care about middle class folks, seniors, veterans and "average" folks.

So FDR would be at the top. 

Some sites with his accomplishments:

What are some of FDR (Franklin D. Roosevelt)'s greatest accomplishments?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090822152250AA9CqnW

His single greatest accomplishment was nothing that can be measured by an analysis of his policies. What FDR did was restore American confidence and create sense of optimism in the midst of the Depression. He always sounded hopeful that things would get better and did his best to try and explain what he was doing to try and fix the problem through his fire-side chats over the radio. In doing this, many in America had great confidence in FDR and were highly supportive of him, which is partially why he remains one of the most popular presidents in American history.

In terms of policy success, his greatest real accomplishment was providing regulations for what business could do. The Great Depression was the result of several factors, including bad credit and greed on the part of banks. When the stock-market crashed in 1929, the financial policies that came out of the seeming blooming of the 20s were proved to be faulty, and FDR made sure that their mistakes could not be repeated. As a result, the US economy until 2008 after 8 years of Reagan, 4 years of HW Bush, and 8 years of W Bush (all of whom worked to undo FDR's policies) never suffered an economic crisis on the same scale as the Great Depression.

Other things like Tennessee Valley Authority, which brought electric power to the Appalachian Mountains and the Civilian Conservation Corps, which put people to work without drafting them into the military are also among his top accomplishments as President.

And in terms of foreign policy, his greatest accomplishment was being able to eventually rally America to the allied cause against both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. The Lend-Lease Act was FDR's main idea to supply Britain and other allied nations with the equipment needed to keep fighting.

AND, of course, SOCIAL SECURITY, which is HUGE for we seniors:

In 1935, FDR signed the Social Security Act to provide aid to the country's most senior citizens and others in need. 

FDR considered the Social Security Act to be one of his greatest accomplishments. In a 1934 speech to Congress, he said that "I place the security of the men, women and children of the Nation first." FDR believed that the American people deserved "some safeguard against misfortunes which cannot be wholly eliminated in this man-made world of ours." He accomplished this goal with the creation of Social Security.

He gave Americans hope which was a rare commodity when facing the depression. He showed them that their government cared.

Social Security is the most successful federal program we have.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3261

Social Security is more than just a retirement program. It provides important life insurance and disability insurance protection as well.

Social Security provides a guaranteed, progressive benefit that keeps up with increases in the cost of living.

Social Security provides a foundation of retirement protection for nearly every American, and its benefits are not means-tested.

Social Security benefits are modest.

Social Security is important for children and their families as well as for the elderly.

Almost half of the elderly would be poor without Social Security. Social Security lifts 14 million elderly Americans out of poverty.

Most elderly beneficiaries rely on Social Security for the majority of their income.

Social Security is especially beneficial for women.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 264 of 343

@ASTRAEA wrote:

This is a really tough question, because until recently, "We the People" honestly didn't know all that much about our Presidents, but for what was included in our white-washed history books.

I recently went to a play titled, "The Second Mrs. Wilson", about NJ Governor & President Woodrow Wilson's 2nd wife Edith Bolling, his subsequent strokes, and her covering for him for months as his mouthpiece .. not letting anyone see him. That kind of thing just couldn't happen today, and frankly made me think a lot differently about Wilson, than I did before.

And then there's the issue of how much personal ethics count for, in the measure of a President.

Guess when it comes to "personal ethics," I would imagine Bill Clinton would not score well. BUT your post spurred me to google this and these Presidents popped up. I would think they would be ruled out.

And it's not just Democrat Presidents. MANY Republican Presidents have........Woman Wink

https://www.quora.com/What-US-presidents-allegedly-had-affairs-in-or-out-of-office

Answers below mention, in order of presidency:

• Thomas Jefferson allegedly with his slave, Sally Hemings.
  • Grover Cleveland had an illegitimate child.
  • Warren Harding with Carrie Phillips and Nan Britton.
  • Franklin Roosevelt with Lucy Mercer.
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower and his chauffeur, Kay Summersby.
  • Lyndon Johnson had numerous affairs. Serially unfaithful.
  • John F. Kennedy allegedly with Marilyn Monroe (actor) and Judith Exner and many others.
  • George H.W. Bush allegedly with Jennifer Fitzgerald.
  • Bill Clinton with Monica Lewinsky.

Sawyer: Republican presidents also had their affairs

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/opinion/columns/sawyer-republican-presidents-also-had-their-affairs/a...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 265 of 343

1. George Washington because he walked away from power.  He set the precedent for what a president should be and made sure the office is not a monarchy.  Without his approach to the office none of the other presidents would have held the office. 

2. Abraham Lincoln because he tenaciously saved the Union and of course signed the Emancipation Proclamation. 

3. FDR because of his attempts to get the country out of the depression through innovative programs; because he led the country through WWII, and for Social Security.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 266 of 343
George Washington. Not only did he refused to get paid, but he sometimes paid off the national debt out of his own money. He started the United States Navy, thought up the idea of amendments to the constitution and, btw, SAVED the United States from British rule!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 267 of 343

Ronald Regan

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 268 of 343

Clinton was my favorite because  I think he did more to lower the national debt than any other current President.  He was a wonderful speaker.

All of his scandals did not change my opinion.  Many presidents and other powerful men have had affairs, but they were protected by the press, not so anymore.  FDR was my second choice.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 269 of 343
John Kennedy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 270 of 343

Ronald Reagan, he seemed liked the last President to have common sense.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors