Tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time and why

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 301 of 343

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@creppelrm wrote:

I thought Nancy Reagan did a fantastic job!  Of running her husband during his time in the White House.

Credit where credit is due - pretty sure Nancy was channeling Teddy Roosevelt for the Gipper.

And doing a poor job at that.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 302 of 343

@creppelrm wrote:

I thought Nancy Reagan did a fantastic job!  Of running her husband during his time in the White House.

Credit where credit is due - pretty sure Nancy was channeling Teddy Roosevelt for the Gipper.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 303 of 343

@rp73959083 wrote:

I'm retired Army and a combat veteran. I have to say that I'm beyond shocked that anyone would list Obama as a good president. 

He has gutted the military and fails at every turn to take a firm stand against any of our enemies. We are the laughing stock of the world now.

A lot of the world only understands one thing "Brute Power" and the willingness to use it if you HAVE to. After fighting a war, I'm not promoting war, however, you must be willing to do so and make your enemies believe it. 

If you have never served your country, you will probably have little to no understanding of what I'm speaking of. 

Weakness or the precieved weakness of a country such as ours invites war. 

I also served on a terrorism task force. If YOU had ANY IDEA of the danger that this country is in due to our "open borders", you would faint. If the government came clean on the true danger that we're facing, this country would have a mental breakdown. 

Keep drinking you coffee in the morning and watching the spoon fed news. One day soon (God Forbid) you are going to be horrified at the results. All brought to you by your beloved leader.

The greatest demonstration of America's weakness was jrbush allowing the 9/11 attack to succeed because he had all our intelligence focused on finding an excuse for him to invade Iraq and grab the oil. Then jrbush deployed our Troops WITHOUT the necessary equipment or an exit strategy. The continued demonstration of that weakness was jr ignoring the CSA telling him they would need a minimum of 360,000 Troops in country to keep the peace after Saddam's military was destroyed, and trying to do the job with 60,000, and failing spectacularily.

Under President Obama, the Army budget for upgrading the M1 Abrams has increased 50%, the M2 Bradley program is up 65%, the M109 Palladin program is up 90% and we are finally replacing the HumVee with a $308M program that did not exist under jrbush.Of course there are about 100 fewer GIs dying every week as well, the new total being ZERO most weeks.

The Navy has added a new class of Crusier with enhanced BMD capability to counter China's threat to our Carrier force, we now have the Zumwald class destroyer with an electronic rail gun that can hit targets 200 miles away with 150lbs of HE or a small nuke, and we now have a totally upgraded attack sub in the John Warner along with upgrades to the FBMS fleet. The USAF, thanks to President Obama, has gotten rid of the F-22 foist upon them by jrbush and is in the process of adding 2470 F-35 strike aircraft.

We are out of the quagmire of Iraq, nearly clear of Afghanistan, got rid of Kaddaffi without losing a single American life, the Muslim Brotherhood no longer rules Eqypt, ISIS - created by jr bush when he sent the Iraq Army home with no pay, future or honor, but WITH their weapons and then financed with 12 planeloads of $100-bills that are now showing up in ISIS pay envelopes - it being pushed out of the territory they've held for years, again without loss of a single American lifE, OBL and most of his senior staff are DEAD and Iran, that was weeks away from a nuke under jrbush, is now a year away, and their oil is back on the World market which is one reason our gasoline is $1.35 instead of over $4.00 per gallon under jr's maladministration.

So tell us SPECIFICALLY how your wealth of military expertize rates President Obama as less supportive of a strong defense than your boy jrbush?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 304 of 343
It was Joe not Eugene
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 305 of 343
My favorite president is Ronald Reagan but a close call with JFK, FDR, and WW. They were true leaders!
Keith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 306 of 343
FDR no other president comes close. He had guts. Women were new to voting. He had the first women in a cabinet position. Frances Perkins was the best person for the job of labor secretary. Together they were responsible for Social Security, 40 hour work week, union rights, worker safety, workers comp. They were a real champion for the worker.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 307 of 343

Agreed.  HST was underrated.  He was a Democrat when there were fundamental differences between the parties.  And he never hesitated to tell you what those differences were. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 308 of 343

Absolutely.  I will add Carter.  While the Iran hostage crisis overwhelmed his presidency, his economics were excellent and since then, he has proven to be a mensch in every sense of the word.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 309 of 343

@jj41326955 wrote:

Dwight Eisenhower was my favorite President.

He was able to stop Senator Eugene McArthy's campaign to blackball all whom he thought were communists.

He paid attention to the people.

He did not usurp power by making "Exective Orders" that hurt our country.

He was not an arrogant man. He cared more about people than power.

He expressed his sorrow at making the decision to send the U2 plane with Gary Powers to spy on the Russians; he said this was his biggest mistake of his Presidency, causing a breakdown in the talks with the Russians over the "Arms Race."

He was also a quiet man. I so very much wish we had a good Republican candidate who would be like him. Instead we have a man who is leading in the polls who will cause the Republicans to lose any chance of getting into the White House.

Oh for another man like him or like the wonderful Vice-President Hubert Humphrey.

I will al;ways like Ike, but the reason he used few Executive Orders is his margin of victory in both Presidential elections was so great no Coingressman wished to risk Ike showing up to stump for their opponent. (If they had won their district with 52%, Ike probably got 60%), so he was virtually "over-ride-proof" so he could bargain from strength when offering "compromise" - sort of you go with something I can live with, I won't stop everything you want.

Trivia on the U-2. For several years, the USAF had been flying B-36 bombers across the USSR. They could operate at over 50,000 feet and the Russian radar could not pick them up, BUT their spies would tell Stalin when the planes took off from a base in Europe and when they would land in Japan, and there was no way they could make the trip in so short a time WITHOUT flying over the USSR. Ike knew this could not last, so he ordered the development of the U-2. Then when the Russians began pushing "total Nuclear Disarmament" in the UN, Ike agreed, with one proviso he called "open skies" where we would allow Soviet recon planes to overfly the USA and Russia would let us fly over the USSR. The Russians knew they would not be able to hide their nukes, and quietly dropped their "disarmament" proposal, which they intended would only disarm us. What Ike didn't mention was he intended to fly over the USSR as much as necessary, and proceeded to do so with the U-2 beginning in 1956. With those flights, Ike learned we were NOT behind the Soviets in our missiles or nuclear weapons - the Ruskies had "tied together" 5 of their biggest ICBMs to launch their satelights, something totally impossible to put in a protected silo, so no single rocket they had was more capable than the Atlas in our arsenal. One issue that JFK used to beat Nixon was "the missile gap" which Ike knew did not exist, but would not say anything because that would've tipped the Soviets to how much we knew about their military. That just might make Ike the last President to put national defense ahead of politics.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

In honor of President's Day this year, tell us who is your favorite U.S. President of all time a

Message 310 of 343

JFK

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Claim your 1,000 Welcome bonus points!