With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Teen Taken into Custody with Toy Gun

Message 11 of 35

@BigLib wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Good points    Things were different when we were young .. there was much less violence on TV  movies, electronic games and the world in general..  

LMAO! When I was a kid, World War 2 was going on, and Hitler was gassing millions of Jews. That seems pretty violent to me!

Correct!!  And I remember the newsreels which were direct and to the point; they showed plenty about the atrocities in the Far East and Europe.  We had soldiers bivouaced in woods a few thousand feet from our house, an anti-aircraft emplacement adjacent to our school-yard, etc.  We knew that life wasn't a rose-garden unlike kids today grow up to expect.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 35

@nyadrn wrote:

Good points    Things were different when we were young .. there was much less violence on TV  movies, electronic games and the world in general..  

LMAO! When I was a kid, World War 2 was going on, and Hitler was gassing millions of Jews. That seems pretty violent to me!

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 35

@lk152 wrote:

As a child I often played with toy guns. Some of those guns looked pretty realistic. In addition those cap guns used caps with real gunpowder to make a noise like a real gun being fired. I used to play "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and Indians" with other boys where we would point our toy guns at each other and pretend we were back in the wild west or on a gritty city street chasing bad guys. One of my favorite toy guns was a six shooter that looked like a real Colt 45 from the old west. Another was a toy gun made out of black plastic that looked like a real Thompson machine gun favored by real mobsters. Both made noises like really being fired. 

But I (as well as the other neighborhood boys who also played with those guns) never thought of using those toy guns to commit a robbery. Everyone in the neighborhood realized that us boys were just playing with toy guns and not being menacing. I was also taught that if a policeman approached us or came into the neighborhood that we should drop our toy guns. If I had seen a policeman draw his weapon, I would have been scared s***less. We knew the difference between our toy guns and the real thing. 

>>

Good points    Things were different when we were young .. there was much less violence on TV  movies, electronic games and the world in general..   this story could have had a much differnet ending..  it would be great if parents and schools discussed the events that have occurred recently with their children and young adults. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 35

As a child I often played with toy guns. Some of those guns looked pretty realistic. In addition those cap guns used caps with real gunpowder to make a noise like a real gun being fired. I used to play "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and Indians" with other boys where we would point our toy guns at each other and pretend we were back in the wild west or on a gritty city street chasing bad guys. One of my favorite toy guns was a six shooter that looked like a real Colt 45 from the old west. Another was a toy gun made out of black plastic that looked like a real Thompson machine gun favored by real mobsters. Both made noises like really being fired. 

But I (as well as the other neighborhood boys who also played with those guns) never thought of using those toy guns to commit a robbery. Everyone in the neighborhood realized that us boys were just playing with toy guns and not being menacing. I was also taught that if a policeman approached us or came into the neighborhood that we should drop our toy guns. If I had seen a policeman draw his weapon, I would have been scared s***less. We knew the difference between our toy guns and the real thing. 

Perhaps another difference is that even when I was a child, I was taught to repect firearms as well as how to use them safely. My father would take my brother and I out to a great uncle's farm where we would shoot tin cans on fence posts. When I was in the cub scouts and boy scouts, we had gun safety taught to us by the local police. We also would go to the rifle range at summer camp where we learned marksmanship as well as firearm safety. 

So even though I played with toy guns as a child, I also learned the difference between a toy gun and the real thing as well as a healthy respect for the real thing. 

As an adult, I lived in western North Carolina where it seemed that every house had firearms and that every boy and girl learned how to use a gun as soon as they were old enough to hold one. Yet there was barely the gun crime or violence there like what exists in our cities. Maybe it is because in western North Carolina, people from an early age learn about guns (and how to shoot straight) and develop a healthy respect for the power of a firearm.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 35

I can't understand that man's actions. If he parades around schools etc He should be considered threatening, for what, would be the reason to do that? I respect that responsible individuasl can buy a gun for protection or people who like to hunt to buy rifles. I don't understand people who parade with huge rifles for nothing. What a "macho"man?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 35

The world HAS changed, and a teenager pretending to be Barney Bad Butt with a toy needs a strong lecture about stupidity. I wouldn't charge him with a crime but just make sure he knows that a child of color of any age...Do they still have " Scared Straight" programs?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 35

Gun laws in Ohio are undoubtedly different than in some Western and Southern states. I suspect that open-carry is not legal in Ohio.

Tennessee just passed a law making it illegal to carry facsimile guns near a school or public building. The reason for the law was a Rambo-like character who likes to parade in front of schools and public buildings carrying an AR-15. He has already been the cause of numerous school lockdowns as school administrators are obviously wary of a potential school shooting. The irony is that it is still legal for this man to carry an AR-15, since open-carry laws permit the open display of real guns.

The AR-15 was the high-powered gun Adam Lanza used to kill the children in Sandy Hooks Elementary.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 35

Thanks for posting  the link.  That gun , there is no way that we can tell is not real.  A 15 y/o should know better than to bring a BBgun to (According to the reporter" a park full of kids) with all the incidents that have happened lately of kids with guns shooting other kids, probably the other kids parent's complained. Is better that he learns a lesson now than later when he may bring a real gun. Even is "just" a BB gun, it was so sad to treat a girl at the E.R who was shot by another kid with a BBgun and lost her left eye. I have treated kids with pellets embedded in the skin due to a BBgun.  I honestly blame the media for glorifying violence. Have you watched the most popular shows?  The issues of" I have the power, revenge etc Getting away with murder". I blame the parents, for someone bought this BB gun.  BB guns are not toys they can even kill. in around 1980 working at the E.R. a 10 y/o kid was brought, had difficulty breathing, I examined him and he had blood inside his mouth without any wound that might explain it. I knew one of his lungs had been perforated. Usually a grown man shot with a BBgun that hits the chest below the clavicle is not going to die. This kid was lean, not much muscle there. I called the Medical Center for an ambulance I was working in a neighborhood clinic, I  started him on I.V fluids,  Oxygen in the meantime the kid was grabbing my sleeve "don't let me die".  The ambulance arrived the Medical Center was not far away.  I was really hoping the kid would survive.  Later on one of the Nursing Aids informed me the kid died, how? Upon arrival a surgeon was called, in those cases a tube is inserted in the lung to evacuate the blood , when they did that there was a rush of blood.  The pellet had hit the artery that runs next to the clavicle.  They tried to revive him, they couldn't.  I can't erase that from my mind. Parents have to use their heads and explain the danger of ,Oh it is just a BBgun, all guns.  If any child gets a real gun from his home the parent needs to held responsible.  Guns at home have to be in places where they are not easily accessible to kids.  There is the right to defend ourselves but if anyone is going to own a gun needs to be fully responsible for it.  Kids used to play with "toy" guns but things have changed a lot. Toy makers instead of having a gun look like real deal should make it obvious that is a toy gun.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 35

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

And it has been how many months since a young man was shot to death after waving a toy gun in a park with other children present?

I hope the parents consider this a wake up call!

I am not sure how long it has been since someone waving a toy gun in a park with other children present but it has been less than 2 months since a child in Cleveland was shot to death while in a park by himself.

What are we to expect of teenagers when adults can open carry?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 35

@nyadrn wrote:

And it has been how many months since a young man was shot to death after waving a toy gun in a park with other children present?

I hope the parents consider this a wake up call!

I am not sure how long it has been since someone waving a toy gun in a park with other children present but it has been less than 2 months since a child in Cleveland was shot to death while in a park by himself.

Kudos
Views