Honored Social Butterfly

Ted Cruz says Trump 'won't capitulate' over $5B demand, enough for 215 miles of border wall

BY Todd J. Gillman

WASHINGTON — Homeland Security officials laid out the stakes in the budget brinkmanship that threatens a partial government shutdown late Friday: the $5 billion the House has approved for a border wall would be enough for about 215 miles of barrier.

Less than half of that — about 100 miles, mostly in South Texas — would be frontier that doesn't already have a fence.

Homeland Security ,

The rest would go to replace older, less-effective fencing or to build secondary fencing.

President Donald Trump threatened to veto any stopgap spending measure that didn't include $5 billion for a wall. With Republicans poised to lose control of the House in two weeks, any leverage he has will quickly disappear.

"We're totally prepared for a very long shutdown. And this is our only chance that we'll ever have," Trump said at a ceremony for his signing of a criminal justice overhaul.

Sen. Ted Cruz lauded Trump for digging in, calling the demand "very reasonable."

"I commend the president for standing strong on securing the border," he said, "and I hope we don't see the Democrats play partisan politics and force us into a shutdown."

"He doesn't intend to capitulate. He's not going to," the Texas Republican told reporters at the Capitol.

Trump tried unsuccessfully to cajole Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to scrap the traditional filibuster rule — using a simple majority of 51 votes to sidestep the need for 60 — to make it easier to get the wall funding approved.

President Donald Trump signed criminal justice overhaul measures in the Oval Office on December 21, 2018. At right, in beard, is Sen. Ted Cruz.  Photo by Olivier Douliery/ Abaca Press(Olivier Douliery/TNS)
President Donald Trump signed criminal justice overhaul measures in the Oval Office on December 21, 2018. At right, in beard, is Sen. Ted Cruz.  Photo by Olivier Douliery/ Abaca Press
(Olivier Douliery/TNS)

Support for the wall is tepid in the Senate, and at least 60 senators oppose the so-called nuclear option of changing the filibuster rule, including McConnell.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, the majority whip, said Trump's demand to end the filibuster reflects "a desire for immediate gratification without regard for long-term consequences."

Trump insisted that drugs are pouring over the southwest border and that human trafficking is "at all-time worst in history." Ten days earlier, in a remarkable televised White House confrontation with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, the incoming House speaker, Trump said he would be "proud to shut down the government for border security ... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."

But on Friday, after the House approved $5 billion in wall funding in a party-line vote, Trump sought to shift the blame. 

"It's really up to the Democrats, totally up to the Democrats, as to whether or not we have a shutdown," Trump said. Arguing that illegal immigration costs the United States $285 billion annually, he said: "The wall will pay for itself on a monthly basis. I mean, literally, every month it pays for itself. So we're talking about small amounts of money."

Cruz brushed aside Trump's embrace of any blame for a shutdown, saying his "proud" comment was predicated on Pelosi's erroneous forecast that the House wouldn't approve wall funding.

Now, Cruz said, the onus is on Schumer, and "his plan B is to draw an unreasonable line, insist we leave our border unsecured and then shut the government for as long as it takes to cause the president to capitulate."

Senior officials from the Homeland Security Department briefed journalists Friday afternoon on what the proposed $5 billion could accomplish.

Their estimate of 215 miles' worth of new and replacement fencing works out to more than $23 million a mile, on average.

That's far higher than the nearly 700 miles of barrier already in place along the 2,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border. Most of that was authorized under President George W. Bush, in the Secure Fences Act of 2006.

The Government Accountability Office issued a report in 2009 that put the initial cost per mile at $2.8 to $3.9 million. But that was in urban areas, where roads were already in place.

Some of the replacement fencing installed during the Trump administration has cost about $8 million a mile. The more remote the area, the higher the cost.

Homeland Security officials insisted that comparisons are inappropriate.

"Every mile of border is different," said one official. "It depends on the terrain" and other factors.

Since Trump took office, Congress has approved $341 million for 40 miles of replacement fencing and new gates in San Diego, New Mexico and West Texas, plus gates in the Rio Grande Valley to close gaps between existing fence. Of that, 34 miles is complete.

Earlier this year, Congress provided an additional $1.375 billion for about 84 miles of new and replacement border barrier.

That includes levee wall in the Rio Grande Valley, with construction expected to start in February, plus some new wall construction in that area of South Texas, along with replacement barrier in Arizona and California.

About $500 million in contracts have been awarded, and $500 million more could be finalized in coming weeks, officials said.

Homeland Security officials wouldn't discuss the priorities for new construction but have provided plans to Congress. Officials who spoke with reporters on Friday said the top priorities are in South Texas, segments around Laredo, Yuma, Ariz., and El Centro, Calif.

Most of the new construction would be bollard fencing — steel slats similar to the fencing already in place, though taller. Officials said that the prototypes built near San Diego provided some lessons and that certain design elements would be incorporated to improve reinforcement and fortification

When Congress authorized wall funding earlier this year, it restricted construction to designs already in use.

It's unclear how much of the $5 billion would go to land acquisition, including costs to condemn property when landowners refuse to sell.

"Eminent domain is always an option. Eminent domain is a tool in our toolbox," said one senior Homeland Security official. "People would have a very difficult time finding a more public use for property than defending the United States' borders."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/12/21/much-border-wall-5b-buy-215-miles-half-already-f...

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Poor TED, caught in the headlights and his followers don't seem to notice.    Donald has already caved, he cut the amount of funding in half.     

One can only marvel at the disconnect from reality by some.    Oh yeah, the negotiated amount was forwarded by Mulvaney 6 days ago.

I could suggest that some read more than their standard RW media - that way they could not  be as uninformed as they appear. if they are to be judged by their posts.  

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/12/24/trump-would-accept-less-money-for-border...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Poor TED, caught in the headlights and his followers don't seem to notice.    Donald has already caved, he cut the amount of funding in half.     

One can only marvel at the disconnect from reality by some.    Oh yeah, the negotiated amount was forwarded by Mulvaney 6 days ago.

I could suggest that some read more than their standard RW media - that way they could not  be as uninformed as they appear. if they are to be judged by their posts.  

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/12/24/trump-would-accept-less-money-for-border...

President Trump is negotiating from a position of strength and is in tune with the American people...

Chuck Schumer is having a disagreement with himself and really needs to pull himself together.

Come on Chuck 2018 let me introduce you to Chuck 2009 that has the correct position!!

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Almost half of all illegal immigrants in America came here LEGALLY, but didn't leave after their VISAs expired. Even a Trump Cult member could figure out a wall will not change this.

Next, illegal immigration is down sharply the past few years. 

Next, didn't Trump promise his loyal minions that Mexico would pay for the wall, as opposed to the American taxpayer?

Next, almost all experts say technology and the smart use of our border agents would be far more effective than a wall.

Finally, think how many people we could help with that money, instead of spending it on a wall.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The symbolism of a wall is far more important to Trump and his Cult members than what's best for America.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

The symbolism of a wall is far more important to Trump and his Cult members than what's best for America.

The first part of that is true. It symbolizes a commitment to border security and our control over our immigration policy.

It is only one element of the total package of border security but the one the Dems have decided to dig their heels in over - after approving a fence showing it is just a partisan ploy.

Honored Social Butterfly

A fence is a usually wooden or metal structure that encloses a yard, pasture, or other area. ... The difference between a fence and a wall is that you can almost always see through a fence, at least to some degree, while a wall is solid.   fence - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't care what you call it.  It's a barrier.  

Airports have barrier's in order to funnel people to controlled access points.  with the right documentation access is allowed, without it you are turned away.  

Every country in the world has borders that require people respect the laws of the land.  We are a nation of laws and these laws for the first time in quite a few years are actually being enforced and we have people that do not approve.  My comment is; You need some self examination because you are a criminal.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

A fence is a usually wooden or metal structure that encloses a yard, pasture, or other area. ... The difference between a fence and a wall is that you can almost always see through a fence, at least to some degree, while a wall is solid.   fence - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't care what you call it.  It's a barrier.  

Airports have barrier's in order to funnel people to controlled access points.  with the right documentation access is allowed, without it you are turned away.  

Every country in the world has borders that require people respect the laws of the land.  We are a nation of laws and these laws for the first time in quite a few years are actually being enforced and we have people that do not approve.  My comment is; You need some self examination because you are a criminal.

Yes you are correct we are a nation of laws, and these laws have been enforced up to now. We have a President and people around him who have broken just about every law they have come in contact with, and your last comment I assume is directed at the people who enabled Trump to become President, and I agree with you. Lets hope all these law breakers are dealt with shortly so we can get back to being the great country we once were.

Regular Social Butterfly

@jimc91 Yes, you have a valid point. Our country does indeed need to revamp the whole system they fold everything into....Immigration Policy.  After all, all the internal "wars"...war on drugs....war against terrorism...war on crime...war on poverty and on and on will continue to divide us, spend our tax dollars on plans that have produced nothing but division, no?

Why wouldn't they determine it is time now to rethink and don't reinvent the wheel? Let's take a look at how the system is broken in the process of reviewing and proper timing for immigration into this country?  Like....more PEOPLE who will be employeed....who will process the applications....who will get a speedier court date because more Judges are in place????

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 wrote:

@jimc91 Yes, you have a valid point. Our country does indeed need to revamp the whole system they fold everything into....Immigration Policy.  After all, all the internal "wars"...war on drugs....war against terrorism...war on crime...war on poverty and on and on will continue to divide us, spend our tax dollars on plans that have produced nothing but division, no?

Why wouldn't they determine it is time now to rethink and don't reinvent the wheel? Let's take a look at how the system is broken in the process of reviewing and proper timing for immigration into this country?  Like....more PEOPLE who will be employeed....who will process the applications....who will get a speedier court date because more Judges are in place????

We already have a visa program for people coming here to fill jobs that need filling. No doubt it needs updating but there is no need to revamp the entire system rather than fixing what we already have.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@rk9152  Visa program????  I guess you didn't quite understand my meaning....Jobs for the people who are already here, as in American????  

I understand it like this, the Republican's are okay with increasing the defense budget but they are not okay with any social program increases because that is just those "Libs" giving all the hard earned money that only a certain sector of people pay into???

https://www.statisca.com/statistics/272473/us-military-spending-from-2000-2012/

Don't misunderstand me...I certainly know we have to have a military with proper utilities and respect how they stand up and serve our country in such trying times!  I too, have paid a price for this gift of people who step up to the plate.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Butterfly565 wrote:

@rk9152  Visa program????  I guess you didn't quite understand my meaning....Jobs for the people who are already here, as in American????  

The subject is controlling immigration not finding jobs for Americans.

I understand it like this, the Republican's are okay with increasing the defense budget but they are not okay with any social program increases because that is just those "Libs" giving all the hard earned money that only a certain sector of people pay into???

Nothing to do with the border situation.

https://www.statisca.com/statistics/272473/us-military-spending-from-2000-2012/

Don't misunderstand me...I certainly know we have to have a military with proper utilities and respect how they stand up and serve our country in such trying times!  I too, have paid a price for this gift of people who step up to the plate.

Nothing to do with the border situation.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

How can you tell if a man who's positions are made of jello has "capitulated"?

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I know how Trump can get the wall built.

1. Get congress to add $5 billion more to the National Science Foundation (NSF) annual budget for a total of about $11 billion.  Explain to them that scientific and engineering research is worth it.

2.  Submit a research proposal to the NSF to study the effects of a wall along the US - Mexican border on the migratory habits of fauna.

3. Threaten to fire the director of the NSF, if the proposal isn't approved.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

: Ted Cruz says Trump 'won't capitulate' over $5B demand, enough for 215 miles of border wall

Well we all know Trump never tells a lie.

So I guess we're in for a bumpy ride until these problems get settled.

Maybe Trump will be in a better position the negotiate with the House after January 3rd.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Republicans controlled the White House, Senate, and House for the past 2 years. And now they want to close down the government over a symbolic wall that would be a waste of taxpayer money.

Oh by the way, I thought Mexico was paying for the wall as opposed to the American taxpayer.

Honored Social Butterfly

$5 billion would buy a lot of housing for homeless Vets wouldn't it? No wall period!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
$5 billion would buy a lot of housing for homeless Vets wouldn't it? No wall period!!!

It's not just $5Billion - it's $5 Billion EVERY YEAR to operate and maintain the Gross Wall of Trump, according to the CBO analysis of lil donny's fantasy. Anyone voting for such an abomination while we have PTSD driving our Vets to suicide and no affordable higher education for our kids should be horsewhipped.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Tom5678 wrote:

It's not just $5Billion - it's $5 Billion EVERY YEAR to operate and maintain the Gross Wall of Trump, according to the CBO analysis of lil donny's fantasy. Anyone voting for such an abomination while we have PTSD driving our Vets to suicide and no affordable higher education for our kids should be horsewhipped.

What are your thoughts on border security and how would you accomplish it?  

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Tom5678 wrote:

What are your thoughts on border security and how would you accomplish it?  

I think I have seen some posts from him on that. He would do it like you and I would follow the Senator from NY plan (Chuck) as we all agree with him. Now that does mean we oppose what Trump wants to do. Looks like we  have more people backing what you and I want.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 Yes, it certainly would, wouldn't it?  If they do not want to give to those who got completely left out of the last boom, lost jobs, or those who were forced into unemployment/retirement (that they can point fingers at and claim are just too **bleep** lazy, freeloaders) than they should be happy to give to those who serve and now are on the streets or **bleep** close?!

Oh, it's the season to be Merry, right?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

The Republicans controlled the White House, Senate, and House for the past 2 years. And now they want to close down the government over a symbolic wall that would be a waste of taxpayer money.

Oh by the way, I thought Mexico was paying for the wall as opposed to the American taxpayer.

And now trump defines "we the People" as a very small minority donating on a go-fund-me page.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Regular Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 8.12.36 AM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

This year Democrats offered $25 billion for border security. Republicans refused to consider it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Once again the Right erroneously compares rational minded people supporting fencing and border security as "voting yes" on a wall.  There will be no wall. Building walls goes along with tyranny, isolationism, and burning people in furnaces.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Once again the Right erroneously compares rational minded people supporting fencing and border security as "voting yes" on a wall.  There will be no wall. Building walls goes along with tyranny, isolationism, and burning people in furnaces.
Such interesting concepts. Keeping people from illegally crossing the border by a fence is "rational minded" but doing it by a wall is tyranny and isolationism. And a fence is just fine but a wall is like "burning people in furnaces" (that '30s Germany obsession again).

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Such interesting concepts. Keeping people from illegally crossing the border by a fence is "rational minded" but doing it by a wall is tyranny and isolationism. And a fence is just fine but a wall is like "burning people in furnaces" (that '30s Germany obsession again).

If a "fence is fine", why build a wall?  A wall symbolizes the things I said and will do nothing more than a fence will do in keeping people and or drugs from coming into the United States. That reality thing once more stings trump supporters.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

If a "fence is fine", why build a wall?  A wall symbolizes the things I said and will do nothing more than a fence will do in keeping people and or drugs from coming into the United States. That reality thing once more stings trump supporters.

I gotta tell ya, when I see a wall I do not think of people being thrown into an oven. Anyone who does should really seek help.

Honored Social Butterfly

I think Sen. Corker had the more accurate observation. Regardless, the Democrats are happy to let Mr. Trump continue HIS third shutdown of government. Enjoy.  

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee blasted Trump for failing to avoid the partial shutdown, dismissing his hardening negotiating posture on immigration as “a made-up fight so that the president could look like he’s fighting.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png