Honored Social Butterfly

Tangled web

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/08/03/tangled-web-connects-russian-oligarch-money...

Tangled web connects Russian oligarch money to GOP campaigns

Party loyalty is often cited as the reason that GOP leaders have not been more outspoken in their criticism of President Donald Trump and his refusal to condemn Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election. Yet there may be another reason that top Republicans have not been more vocal in their condemnation. Perhaps it's because they have their own links to the Russian oligarchy that they would prefer go unnoticed.

I think Russian effort to buy influence goes deeper then the article reports. I think the Russians are exploiting our corrupt political system though every possible avenue. 

Our corrupt political system is a easy target for exploitation.

Honored Social Butterfly

Dallas site is a bit wonky.    Their news is accurate but some may get blocked.    Here is another article that uses the DMN information.   

The Dallas News just issued a stunning report based on public records recently uncovered by the Democratic Coalition, that the Republican Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Senate Majority leader McConnell have taken a Putin-connected billionaire Blavatnik’s cash:

Donald Trump and the political action committees for Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich and John McCain accepted $7.35 million in contributions from a Ukrainian-born oligarch who is the business partner of two of Russian president Vladimir Putin’s favorite oligarchs and a Russian government bank.

During the 2015-2016 election season, Ukrainian-born billionaire Leonid “Len” Blavatnik contributed $6.35 million to leading Republican candidates and incumbent senators. Mitch McConnell was the top recipient of Blavatnik’s donations, collecting $2.5 million for his GOP Senate Leadership Fund under the names of two of Blavatnik’s holding companies, Access Industries and AI Altep Holdings, according to Federal Election Commission documents and OpenSecrets.org.

I can only suggest that whiners read this article if only to learn about the citizenship of this GOP donor, Len Blavatnik /     

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

An international businessman of many years standing is sure to have all sorts of relationships and connections all over the world.

To make such relationships a factor if that person enters politics is to insure we never have anything but career politicians - something I do not believe anyone wants.

On the other hand, if a pol has business relationships while in office, that is another story. For example, if the SecState were to sell her office to enrich the family business - well, that is surely something to be concerned about - - - - RIGHT????

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

An international businessman of many years standing is sure to have all sorts of relationships and connections all over the world.

To make such relationships a factor if that person enters politics is to insure we never have anything but career politicians - something I do not believe anyone wants.

On the other hand, if a pol has business relationships while in office, that is another story. For example, if the SecState were to sell her office to enrich the family business - well, that is surely something to be concerned about - - - - RIGHT????

Good thing the previous Secretaries did not do that, isn't it!

Now do you have any comment on the topic?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Good thing the previous Secretaries did not do that, isn't it!

Now do you have any comment on the topic?

Did you not notice the excitement over the Dallas newspaper op/ed???

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/08/03/tangled-web-connects-russian-oligarch-money...

Tangled web connects Russian oligarch money to GOP campaigns

Party loyalty is often cited as the reason that GOP leaders have not been more outspoken in their criticism of President Donald Trump and his refusal to condemn Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election. Yet there may be another reason that top Republicans have not been more vocal in their condemnation. Perhaps it's because they have their own links to the Russian oligarchy that they would prefer go unnoticed.

I think Russian effort to buy influence goes deeper then the article reports. I think the Russians are exploiting our corrupt political system though every possible avenue. 

Our corrupt political system is a easy target for exploitation.

Recently one of those incessant reports on this and that analyzed the cost to the Russians, in terms of military hardware, for their activities during the hacking and subsequent furor.  Cheap, cheap, cheap.  It does sound a bit like what birds do, doesn't it?  I couldn't help it....the Devil made me do it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hilariously, the donald supporters...or possibly a troll,  can't seem to distinguish that Citizenship in this country allows people to donate to campaigns.      The sum of the donations is a hat tip to the Republican majority SCOTUS that approved Citizen United case.  

But then we know that information such as that never has stopped a certain type from ignoring the recent history of the US to try and distract from the issue of money in politics. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Out of curiosity.. do you think $George Soros$ and his OSF contributed to democratic campaigns via proxey's ?

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
Out of curiosity.. do you think $George Soros$ and his OSF contributed to democratic campaigns via proxey's ?

Why don't you simply tell us and show documentation supporting your views?

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png