Reply
Regular Contributor

TX AG brags about Houston mail in ballot suppression

CONCERNED - AG PAXTON DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.
We all have the right to vote sir, not just your party.
Texas Attorney General has successfully moved to suppress the Harris County vote by mail initiative - underway by county officials. That's Houston, county population 4.7 million. He brags on the his official state webpage that he STOPPED the county from soliciting mail in ballot participation. See article from Texas Attorney General's website proudly announcing this voter suppression success:
TX AG proud of suppressing mail in vote 

Grampa wjswitzer
Enough is as good as a feast - Mary Poppins
Trusted Social Butterfly

When Republicans "rig" an election we and the media call that "voter suppression". Why is that?

0 Kudos
575 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Has the Texas Election Law on the stipulations within the absentee ballot as to who is eligible for one ever been challenged?  I looked, I could find one.

 

So until that is changed, isn't it fruitless that people who don't meet the conditions to even fill out an application for a ballot?

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

Has the Texas Election Law on the stipulations within the absentee ballot as to who is eligible for one ever been challenged?  I looked, I could find one.

 

So until that is changed, isn't it fruitless that people who don't meet the conditions to even fill out an application for a ballot?

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -


IMHO, one thing that you are missing is that the very qualifications you listed restrict voting immensely, most especially during this pandemic.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Has the Texas Election Law on the stipulations within the absentee ballot as to who is eligible for one ever been challenged?  I looked, I could find one.

 

So until that is changed, isn't it fruitless that people who don't meet the conditions to even fill out an application for a ballot?

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -


IMHO, one thing that you are missing is that the very qualifications you listed restrict voting immensely, most especially during this pandemic.


Not with MASK, SOCIAL DISTANCING, HAND-WASHING AND DISINFECTING -

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Has the Texas Election Law on the stipulations within the absentee ballot as to who is eligible for one ever been challenged?  I looked, I could find one.

 

So until that is changed, isn't it fruitless that people who don't meet the conditions to even fill out an application for a ballot?

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -


IMHO, one thing that you are missing is that the very qualifications you listed restrict voting immensely, most especially during this pandemic.


Not with MASK, SOCIAL DISTANCING, HAND-WASHING AND DISINFECTING -


Those things only assure so much, and that is only if they are practiced by everyone (and you can be sure they won't be).  The vulnerable are especially vulnerable to dying from exposure to Covid 19 and should be accommodated with mail in voting. It's the right thing to do.

 


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

Those things only assure so much, and that is only if they are practiced by everyone (and you can be sure they won't be).  The vulnerable are especially vulnerable to dying from exposure to Covid 19 and should be accommodated with mail in voting. It's the right thing to do.

 


People will be mandated to wear mask, social distance to be allowed to vote in person whether early or on election day.  Do you think this requirement is a form of "suppressing the vote"?

 

Poll workers or staff hired for just this purpose will be cleaning and disinfecting after each voter.

 

I have no disagreement with you about mail-in voting - I like it.  However, states have their respective laws which were in place before the pandemic and these laws along with the systems & procedures in place to achieve them are under the state's command and governments can't turn on a dime.  When you have all these (various intelligent) people voting at one time or within a short period of time, the procedures have to be clearly and perfectly in place or there are problems - sometimes BIG problems.

 

Would you like to delay the General Election just so TX or one of these other (4 - I think) states can fight it out in their legislature to change their election law, then , if approved, give them time to set in place all of these systems and procedures and train everybody in their application? 

By that time, we probably would have a new SCOTUS justice appointed !!

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


IMHO, one thing that you are missing is that the very qualifications you listed restrict voting immensely, most especially during this pandemic.


How many are restricted from shopping for food and other necessities?  From the pictures of people lining up to vote, apparently not many are restricted from voting except in their minds.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:


IMHO, one thing that you are missing is that the very qualifications you listed restrict voting immensely, most especially during this pandemic.


How many are restricted from shopping for food and other necessities?  From the pictures of people lining up to vote, apparently not many are restricted from voting except in their minds.


If true social distancing were practiced and masks were worn by everyone, what you say is true. However, reality is far different.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


If true social distancing were practiced and masks were worn by everyone, what you say is true. However, reality is far different.


So just because individuals will ignore mandates to wear masks should be allowed to vote absentee?  Reality is that they should wear a mask when in public, while voting the same as shopping.  Texas law, as probably in other states, says certain requirements has to be met for absentee voting.

 

But I can't understand why it is such a problem for those who are not Texas residents or why it matters to them.  Unless it is only for argumentative reasons.  

 

I believe the reason the Harris County Clerk wants to send ballots to all registered voters is for political reasons.  The State Democratic Party sends absentee ballot applications to all registered voters who are senior citizens.  That is how I became aware of the system back over a decade ago.  I sign up for annual ballots to include party primaries.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote: (in blue text)


If true social distancing were practiced and masks were worn by everyone, what you say is true. However, reality is far different.


So just because individuals will ignore mandates to wear masks people should be allowed to vote absentee? Actually that is just one of many legitimate reasons. Reality is that they should wear a mask when in public, while voting the same as shopping. I agree, but unfortunately a lot of people won't and it puts others at risk, some could die of Covid if they catch it. Texas law, as probably in other states, says certain requirements has to be met for absentee voting.  So are they gonna' have the cops there to enforce it?

 

But I can't understand why it is such a problem for those who are not Texas residents or why it matters to them. Then in other words, you should have no opinion or voice one about what goes on in a state besides your own, like Kentucky? Unless it is only for argumentative reasons. Were those your reasons when you commented on Kentucky in the past? 

 

I believe the reason the Harris County Clerk wants to send ballots to all registered voters is for political reasons. Odd, logic says it is to make it easier for people to vote and would result in higher voter turnout. So wouldn't it be political to take a position against mail-in voting? The State Democratic Party sends absentee ballot applications to all registered voters who are senior citizens. Glad to hear that but the elderly aren't the only ones that are compromised and may die if exposed to Covid 19. That is how I became aware of the system back over a decade ago.  I sign up for annual ballots to include party primaries. So then it should be OK with you if they send ballots to all registered voters, right?


 


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:


 Actually that is just one of many legitimate reasons.  I agree, but unfortunately a lot of people won't and it puts others at risk, some could die of Covid if they catch it.  So are they gonna' have the cops there to enforce it?

 

 Then in other words, you should have no opinion or voice one about what goes on in a state besides your own, like Kentucky?  Were those your reasons when you commented on Kentucky in the past? 

 

Odd, logic says it is to make it easier for people to vote and would result in higher voter turnout. So wouldn't it be political to take a position against mail-in voting? Glad to hear that but the elderly aren't the only ones that are compromised and may die if exposed to Covid 19. So then it should be OK with you if they send ballots to all registered voters, right?


 


Not so strange that there has been no complaints from those affected here with this law, but there is much from those in other states.  It has been the law here in Texas for decades, but suddenly we're getting a lot of flack from posters in other states.  Those that's not affected.  I guess the next thing will be the basis for having a handicapped tag or placard here. 

 

What does Covid 19 have to do with all of this?  This was in place way before Covid 19 became a problem.  There is a requirement for wearing masks when shopping, etc., and that is expected when voting in person along with other procedures.  

 

From what I gather, all of this is just for the sake of argument based on partisan politics here.  Even there you've been assuming a lot about other people's politics, mostly erroneous.  When are you going to concentrate on politics in Kentucky, namely your problem that affects the country.... a character by the name of Mitch McConnell.   

 

 

 

 

0 Kudos
382 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:


 Actually that is just one of many legitimate reasons.  I agree, but unfortunately a lot of people won't and it puts others at risk, some could die of Covid if they catch it.  So are they gonna' have the cops there to enforce it?

 

 Then in other words, you should have no opinion or voice one about what goes on in a state besides your own, like Kentucky?  Were those your reasons when you commented on Kentucky in the past? 

 

Odd, logic says it is to make it easier for people to vote and would result in higher voter turnout. So wouldn't it be political to take a position against mail-in voting? Glad to hear that but the elderly aren't the only ones that are compromised and may die if exposed to Covid 19. So then it should be OK with you if they send ballots to all registered voters, right?


 


Not so strange that there has been no complaints from those affected here with this law, but there is much from those in other states.  It has been the law here in Texas for decades, but suddenly we're getting a lot of flack from posters in other states.  Those that's not affected.  I guess the next thing will be the basis for having a handicapped tag or placard here. 

 

What does Covid 19 have to do with all of this?  This was in place way before Covid 19 became a problem.  There is a requirement for wearing masks when shopping, etc., and that is expected when voting in person along with other procedures.  

 

From what I gather, all of this is just for the sake of argument based on partisan politics here.  Even there you've been assuming a lot about other people's politics, mostly erroneous.  When are you going to concentrate on politics in Kentucky, namely your problem that affects the country.... a character by the name of Mitch McConnell.   

 

 

 

 


I live in a State that borders Texas. Texas is responsible for most of the virus cases in Eastern NM. The local govt. people were pleading with residents of NM not to go to Texas because of the virus and the way it is handled. NM has  now  banned anyone from Texas in the State unless they go through a 14 day quarantine before they move around. The State threw out people from Texas who were living in our State Parks because of the way Texas handled the virus. No one from NM is supposed to go to Texas, and if we do there is a 14 day quarantine when we return.

Texas is as bad as AZ in handling the virus, and a lot of people in TX and surrounding States have paid the price for the far right govt in Texas.

0 Kudos
354 Views
0
Report
Regular Contributor

@TxGrandpa2  about your comment
"But I can't understand why it is such a problem for those who are not Texas residents or why it matters to them. Unless it is only for argumentative reasons."
"I believe the reason the Harris County Clerk wants to send ballots to all registered voters is for political reasons. The State Democratic Party sends absentee ballot applications to all registered voters who are senior citizens. That is how I became aware of the system back over a decade ago. I sign up for annual ballots to include party primaries."
.
Here's the reason - in my opinion - everybody cares so much about Texas letting or not letting people vote by mail. We have more Electoral College votes than anybody except California. And those votes are winner take all. And it's much more of an undecided than true blue California. This only adds to the uncertainty.
About Harris County - yeah that's pretty clearly them making a move designed to highlight the fact we can't vote by mail in Texas - and guess what? It succeeded. It still doesn't bother me that Harris County chose to break ranks and grab publicity about it. What bothers me is that Texas thinks it's okay to let people stay home and not vote even though they're registered voters. And that's not valid about going to the grocery. My friends who are at risk are NOT going to the grocery store either - or anywhere. All the stores especially grocery stores are delivering now. And many people are doing that, to comply with CDC guidelines and because well, it's always a better day when you don't die that day from Covid. So the rules in Texas make us by far the BIGGEST and even more INFLUENTIAL state that failed to make a change to make voting possible for the at risk population. I say biggest and most influential based on the electoral college stuff below and because it's a hotly contested race here for President unlike California.
.
I've come around to the point of view it's inaction, not a conspiracy, that put Texas where we are. I think it was preventable once, and obviously no longer is. Strap yourself in Texas, our turnout will be lower in 2020 than it would with mail in voting. However the people who ARE able to vote without much risk, and choose to do so, will have their vote count more. Because Texas isn't losing its Electoral College votes, just basing them on fewer people voting (a lower 'popular' vote). We still count just as much as we would have, in the national election. With all the fuss Harris County helped stir up to publicize (I'm still glad they did though I misunderstood at first and thought it was nefarious Republican strategy - it's just inaction and inertia not bad intent). And all that publicity has probably fully neutralized any benefit to Trump from failure to allow mail in voting. It might even result in more support for Biden / Harris.
OKAY THE DATA:
Total Electoral College votes: 538
Here are the five states that aren't allowing vote by mail for all voters, with their number of votes in the electoral college:
Texas - 38 (7.1%)
Tennessee - 11 (2%)
Indiana - 11 (2%)
Louisiana - 8 (1.5%)
Mississippi - 6 (1.1%)
.
Number of Electoral College votes required to win the Presidency: 270
NOTE: DC with 3 votes DOES get to vote for the presidential election
.
Source: NPR.org for absentee voting rules by state -
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/14/909338758/map-mail-in-voting-rules-by-state
.
Source: USA.gov for the electoral college -
https://www.usa.gov/election#item-36072
.

Grampa wjswitzer
Enough is as good as a feast - Mary Poppins
Honored Social Butterfly


@wjswitzer wrote:


About Harris County - yeah that's pretty clearly them making a move designed to highlight the fact we can't vote by mail in Texas - and guess what? It succeeded. 
.


I completely disagree with that sentence.  I have been voting absentee since I was 65 (that's sometime!).  As I have posted the state Democratic party initially sent me an application years ago.  Since I've been obtaining an application every year and have been signing up for annual ballots to include party primaries.  

 

I'm not a resident of Harris County but we get our news media from Houston.  I do note that their County Clerk was just appointed last spring, which explains why he wants to send ballots to everyone, probably to make his name.  But apparently the Houston Mayor, County Judge and now County Clerk is having the opposite effect.  As far as obtaining an absentee ballot, there is no hassle if one is eligible since both my wife and I receive one like clockwork when we apply.

 

And yes, even the supermarkets, etc are delivering....FOR A PRICE..if you live in their area.  Texas is a big state and delivery isn't always available even then.  

 

I can't understand the arguments here about voting either in person or absentee.  I am aware that the majority of those here that are upset about Texas doesn't even live in the state and have no dog in this, but apparently is just arguing to be doing so.  They probably resent those like me having handicapped tags or placards also.  Sure I go to supermarkets also, but when shopping I use their handicapped carts to get around. 

 

If you qualify why don't you apply for an absentee ballot?

Honored Social Butterfly

@wjswitzerwrote:

yeah that's pretty clearly them making a move designed to highlight the fact we can't vote by mail in Texas - and guess what? It succeeded. It still doesn't bother me that Harris County chose to break ranks and grab publicity about it. What bothers me is that Texas thinks it's okay to let people stay home and not vote even though they're registered voters. And that's not valid about going to the grocery. My friends who are at risk are NOT going to the grocery store either - or anywhere

 

People can vote by mail in TX - certain people. 

Was this a problem before this year ????  Doesn't seem that mail-in ballots had too much of a response - now early voting seemed popular.  Even those 65 and older preferred something other than mail-in ballots.

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/earlyvoting/2016/nov4.shtml 

 

Screenshot_2020-09-19 Early Voting - November 4, 2016.png

Screenshot_2020-09-19 Early Voting - November 4, 2016(1).png

 

You can look at the link for the rest of the Counties.  Harris County a total of 4.24% of the voters in 2016 voted by mail in ballot.  3.19% for the WHOLE STATE.

 

Now if there is just a push to do mail in voting exclusively - they might need to start earlier in changing to that method.

 

I will caution you and those in TX that are pushing this  - for people that aren't use to performing this procedure of voting, people of all different intelligence levels, it may not be a plus factor until they get use to doing it - confusion abounds and with confusion comes mistakes and with mistakes come disqualifications.  It could open up a lot of challenges. 

 

Here is the part of the TX application for a ballot that is relevant to people who may be immuno-compromised and fear exposure EVEN if they are wearing a mask and perform social distancing.

 

Screenshot_2020-09-19 Application for Ballot by Mail - 5-15f pdf.png

 

What's stopping them from filing it out and sending it in?  Being scared can be a disability.  Being immuno-compromised in a pandemic is a disability too.

A disability:  a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

 

I think a lot of people need to start standing up for themselves rather than waiting around for government to do it for them.

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

Has the Texas Election Law on the stipulations within the absentee ballot as to who is eligible for one ever been challenged?

What is challenging, for many, is Texas does not accept applications to receive a ballot, IF you simply want - TO USE THE MAIL -

 

So until that is changed, isn't it fruitless that people who don't meet the conditions to even fill out an application for a ballot?

I'm not understanding "people who don't meet the conditions" in relationship to being able to fill out an application.

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

All the "trouble"?  Upon reading the application, once received, one would know if they do or do not qualify - to have a ballot mailed to them.  Opportunity to participate, should not be "trouble".  

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;

What am I missing here - 

Sick with anything you will qualify.  Sick with Covid-19, you won't qualify.

Isn't that true? And crazy?


 

Honored Social Butterfly

@oceanedge2 

 

You aren't understanding my post -  The TX legal challenge is sending out application for a ballot to all registered voters - well the challenge is by one county - maybe more.  They initially wanted to just go ahead and send out ballots to every registered voter - that got shot down by a judge pretty fast.

 

The election law in TX has to be changed.  Anybody, in TX or any of those other (4) states, can request an application for a ballot but if they don't meet the criteria in these state's election law to be eligible to vote by mail, their request is useless or it will be denied.  IOW, they are wasting their time and that of the registrar.

 

You cannot say that mask, social distancing, hand washing and disinfecting can stop the spread of SARS-CoV2.  Remember mask are suppose to prevent you from spreading the virus but yet say that all people are sick and thus qualify for a mail in ballot in those states where there are specific eligible reasons for the request.

 

Maybe people in TX and those other states should take a covid test and if the results are positive, they can send a copy of the test along with their application for a mail in ballot - they will probably get one under those circumstances.  Sure would take some timing - but on the other hand, if a person comes down sick with anything who would be considering going to the polls or even voting in whatever way.

 

This isn't voter suppression - it is only a rejection of some people not being able to vote a specific way - there are still other ways.  In all but Mississippi, there is absentee voting in the form of early voting when crowds are down and then there is also election day actual in-person voting.

 

We are in a new situation here with the pandemic, the processes in these few states really hasn't been a problem up to now - their list of "who" can vote by mail covered the majority of the cases of those desiring this option up to now.  It also indicates that government can't turn on a dime.  Election Laws in these few states have to be changed or modified to accommodate pandemic outbreaks.

 

Remember that many states postponed their primary elections when we were under shutdown.

Many of these states had to make alternative plans for their primary election - it did cause some voter confusion. 

 

Could that happen again for the General Election ?   Yes, and it could be a mess in many (most) states that aren't under a complete mail-in ballot election law.  These (4 - 5) states with these reasons for getting a mail in ballot would be at a distinct disadvantage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@oceanedge2 wrote:

 

Sick with anything you will qualify.  Sick with Covid-19, you won't qualify.

Isn't that true? And crazy?


 


Wouldn't being sick with Covid-19 be a qualification versus being afraid of contacting Covid-19?  If a person is concerned with contacting the virus they should just completely not going out for any reason.

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Sick with anything you will qualify.  Sick with Covid-19, you won't qualify.

Isn't that true? And crazy



Wouldn't being sick with Covid-19 be a qualification versus being afraid of contacting Covid-19?  I don't know if one would has to state their sickness, OR any biases.

If a person is concerned with contacting the virus they should just completely not going out for any reason.

Only if....  there were not this election calling them out to vote - during a Pandemic.  It is evil to make people put their health at risk in order to vote.  My State of Washington pays ALL  postage.  They don't think voting should cost citizens money and they don't require you to appear in person to vote.

Honored Social Butterfly


@oceanedge2 wrote:

Only if....  there were not this election calling them out to vote - during a Pandemic.  It is evil to make people put their health at risk in order to vote.  My State of Washington pays ALL  postage.  They don't think voting should cost citizens money and they don't require you to appear in person to vote.


If one is concerned about the virus, then they shouldn't be going to the supermarket, fast food places, etc.   No doubt those same people are not letting them stay confined to their homes.   They should take the same precautions when voting (masks, social distances, etc) as they take any other time they go out in public.

 

Good for your state for paying all postage, I don't mind spending a small amount of change since the state of Texas allows me as a senior (and handicapped) citizen to cast a vote by mail.  Years ago I spent money on gas going to the polling place.

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -


There is a requirement that the application for a Absentee Ballot be mailed in rather then applied for on-line:  https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot/texas/ 

 

"All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If you fax or e-mail your application by the deadline, your application will be considered complete and timely as long as the original is mailed to the clerk and received by the early voting clerk by the fourth business day after it was submitted by fax or e-mail."

 

I've been voting absentee for years since being 65 but have to apply annually for absentee ballots through the next year.  I fill out the request on-line, but then have to print the form, sign it and mail to the County Clerk.  I have to believe they need to verify the signature.

 

I don't agree about mailing applications to everyone since it could increase the possibility for fraud.

0 Kudos
548 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

 

Why go to all the trouble to mail out an application for a (mail-in) ballot when many people aren't gonna qualify for one anyway.

 

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

  • be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

 

What am I missing here -


There is a requirement that the application for a Absentee Ballot be mailed in rather then applied for on-line:  https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot/texas/ 

 

"All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If you fax or e-mail your application by the deadline, your application will be considered complete and timely as long as the original is mailed to the clerk and received by the early voting clerk by the fourth business day after it was submitted by fax or e-mail."

 

I've been voting absentee for years since being 65 but have to apply annually for absentee ballots through the next year.  I fill out the request on-line, but then have to print the form, sign it and mail to the County Clerk.  I have to believe they need to verify the signature.

 

I don't agree about mailing applications to everyone since it could increase the possibility for fraud.


Proven fact it does not increase fraud, but it does increase the number of people taking part. Free fair elections is something Texas does not have due to the far right.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


Proven fact it does not increase fraud, but it does increase the number of people taking part. Free fair elections is something Texas does not have due to the far right.


Of course you can provide documentation for that claim?  Waiting.........

 

Wasn't aware that you were that knowledgeable about Texas elections. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


Proven fact it does not increase fraud, but it does increase the number of people taking part. Free fair elections is something Texas does not have due to the far right.


Of course you can provide documentation for that claim?  Waiting.........

 

Wasn't aware that you were that knowledgeable about Texas elections. 


I was talking about elections all over the country including Texas. You can get all the details by watching TV and they will give you the studies made and the results. It can also be found in newspapers. I have gotten my info that way. I am not going back and spend my time looking up fact stories for you. I will give you advice. Stay away from FOX, OAN, and right wing papers as they do not carry it.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


I have gotten my info that way. I am not going back and spend my time looking up fact stories for you. I will give you advice. Stay away from FOX, OAN, and right wing papers as they do not carry it.


Of course why spend time looking at fact stories when you haven't any idea of where to find any.  As far a FOX, OAN (?), etc, I get most of my information from CNN, USA Today and other reputable sources.  One shouldn't make accusations that can't be based on facts.

 

Have a good night. 

0 Kudos
422 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


I have gotten my info that way. I am not going back and spend my time looking up fact stories for you. I will give you advice. Stay away from FOX, OAN, and right wing papers as they do not carry it.


Of course why spend time looking at fact stories when you haven't any idea of where to find any.  As far a FOX, OAN (?), etc, I get most of my information from CNN, USA Today and other reputable sources.  One shouldn't make accusations that can't be based on facts.

 

Have a good night. 


Is that your typical cop out. There is one great thing that neither you nor I can change. Facts. I gave them to you and you can not change them so you retire for the night. I hope you will learn the facts and then you can use them to.

0 Kudos
397 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Voter suppression is...voter suppression!

And voter suppression is denial of Citizens right to vote, and making it difficult to vote. 
If states are not assisting voters, providing adequate polling sites, assisted legal voting registration, and vote by mail options, then they are suppressing the right to vote. All other explanations are chaotic fluff, and dishonest. 
Let’s have a valued tradition, and have a day off for elections...Election Day Holiday! Protect a valued American privilege and make it special...as it should be. 

Regular Contributor

@GailL1 Hmmmmm . . . excellent points. However in Tarrant County (Fort Worth is county seat, population 2.1 million) I THOUGHT I had voted by mail in the primary but my memory cleared - I voted EARLY, at my normal polling place. Expansion of early voting times and locations was the technique for Tarrant County to accommodate the pandemic. LOTS of volunteer time put in to make that happen. Thanks.

From the Tarrant County website, confirming your input (clipped):

*****

Tarrant County registered voters are eligible to request and receive a ballot by mail if any of the following conditions prevents them from voting in-person during the early voting period or on Election Day:

- Expected absence from the County during both the early voting period and on Election Day. (The ballot must be mailed to an address outside the County.)
- Disability
- 65 years of age or older
- Confinement in jail and not finally convicted of a felony

*****

Military service is a common reason, but it's included in 'expected absence' and not specifically listed.

*****

URL (full official page for Tarrant County vote by mail):

https://www.tarrantcounty.com/en/elections/Early-Voting-Information/Voting-by-Mail.html

*****

Great question. But . . . I have a question in response, and I'm not trying to be a blockhead about it (fully capable of that, just trying not to in this question). What effect will this have on the election in Texas? Obviously, a reduction in voter turnout for those at risk of infection. Yikes. Well, there is a lot of pain to go around that's basically a given, in this pandemic thing. Nothing like it until the plagues that decimated Europe, in the history of Western Civilization - certainly nothing of the sort was anticipated by the founding fathers, except for the fact they created the electoral college to solve REALLY HARD logistics problems that were specific to the 18th and 19th century. So you could say they did anticipate difficulty in election logistics. OK rambling now - thanks again. wjswitzer out.

Grampa wjswitzer
Enough is as good as a feast - Mary Poppins
Social Butterfly

Texas, the Lone Star State, should just succede from the Union.

 

Be less electoral votes for Trump, and he could always claim assylum there.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png