TRUMP TO DISMANTLE SOCIAL SECURITY

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TRUMP TO DISMANTLE SOCIAL SECURITY

Message 1 of 43

@pc6063 wrote:

Mom- but wouldn't that be helping others and shouldn't their appearance be able to take care of themselves?  That's the mindset of the posters here who claim to be Republican.  Poor mom and dad! Guess they will have to takeom and dad to Alaska and float them  down the river on a ice floe. 

Yes, our culture assumes everyone is self-sufficient, or if they aren't, they are somehow lacking moral character.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 43

Social Security is NOT welfare. Americans paid into SS throughout their adult lives and earned every penny they get.

Social Security is a contract the government made with its citizens.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 43

@pc6063 wrote:
 maybe now you will see why Social Security, and Medicaid, and Medicare are so important. 

--

My point is that too many choose to depend upon social security without planning themselves for retirement.  My social security is only a supplement to my other retirement income, which I worked hard for, and was what I had planned.  From some posts here seem to indicate a complete reliance on it. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 43

So tx- if Social security, a

Medicare,  and Medicaid are stripped away from these old people, do you think their children are going to take care of them? according to the point you just made, the answer is no.

so what will happen to these people? maybe now you will see why Social Security, and Medicaid, and Medicare are so important. 

It would be incorrect of you to assume that this is a political anomaly with regard to elders being placed in nursing homes and forgotten.  this happens, unfortunately, all over America. it is unforgivable,  but it's true. this is why we need our government to stand firmly behind the American people.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 43

@pc6063 wrote:

Mom- but wouldn't that be helping others and shouldn't their appearance be able to take care of themselves?  That's the mindset of the posters here who claim to be Republican.  Poor mom and dad! Guess they will have to takeom and dad to Alaska and float them  down the river on a ice floe. 

--

Again Republicans are at fault.  After I finally retired from the corporate world, I volunteered with a chain of nursing homes in the area to drive residents to appointments.  And while there I saw families of all religions, politics, etc would dump their parent and never visit them.  I recall walking down the hallway, then stopping to visit with these.  Invariably they would thank me for spending a little time with them. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 43

@pc6063 wrote:
'little Republican'

--

Again that dismissive term 'little' in an attempt in bringing people or groups down to size!!!   That comes across like Leona Helmsley's words when referring to others.  Does indicate a sense of superiority.

And I wasn't talking about illegals, but those refugees that crocodile tears are being shed for here.  I would believe that I'm as aware about helping the unfortunate and those down on their luck as others.  And that goes for seeing those who are like a sponge in soaking up all they can without it actually helping them.

And it is well known that social security wasn't designed to completely support seniors, but as a supplemental income to make their lives a little better.  The idea was/is that people need to also save and plan for their own retirement.  But some here keeps wanting to make this a welfare state where the well off has to share with others for equalization.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 43

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 43

Maybe conservatives would like this better?  As an alternative to Social Security, maybe we should strengthen the filial responsibility laws, which exist now in about 30 states.  Some already allow nursing homes and other caregivers to sue adult children to pay for their parents' medical bills.  Family responsibility and all that.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 43

Tx-Wow!  Aligning SS with giving refuge to those in need?? ?

Firstly, refugees are in need of help to keep them from prosecution, persecution, or death. Hepling tbem is sn sct of humanity. Sad one would consider $ over saving a life.

If you are talking about "illegals" 

Some "illegals" use fake SS numbers to get a job, knowing they will never benefit-how does that hurt you? Those who work " under the table" are doing no more than many Americans.  Maybe if we had real immigration reform,  that would allow immigrants to come out of the shadows, you wouldn't have to worry about extending " charity" to others. You might want to talk to your obstructionist little Republican buddies about that.

I on the other hand, have no problem helping others, might want to use the SS to do just that!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 43

Der Trumper and the GOPers want to help those who will never need SS by screwing those who cannot survive in retirement without SS - it's that simple.

Raise the cap to $250,000 and end the tax exemption for SS income when total income is more than twice the average retirement income.

Problem solved, no one harmed, no reductions, no working longer.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors