Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TRUMP APPOINTEE WANTS TO CUT SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE

Message 1 of 12

Nearly every Republican politician wants massive cuts to Social Security and Medicare. But Donald Trump claimed to be different, and made protecting these vital earned benefits a centerpiece of his campaign.
But now that he’s in the White House, Trump has picked Tom Price as Secretary of Health and Human Services and Mick Mulvaney as Secretary of the Office of Management and Budget. Price and Mulvaney have both spent decades attempting to destroy Social Security and Medicare.
Even Trump’s own voters overwhelmingly oppose cuts to Social Security and Medicare—that’s part of why they voted for him! But it’s now clear that Trump intends to sell them out and break his promise—unless he reverses course immediately. He has the perfect opportunity next week, when he will be giving a big speech to a joint session of Congress.
Sign the petition: Demand Donald Trump promise to veto any cuts to Social Security and Medicare in his address to Congress next week.
No one voted to destroy Social Security and Medicare. But ever since Election Day, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and his colleagues have been chomping at the bit to implement a far-right economic agenda that would destroy the American people’s earned benefits—and Trump hasn’t said a word of protest.
The reality is, all we need to do is ask the wealthy to pay their fair share into Social Security and we can protect and expand benefits for millions of individuals.
Protecting Social Security and Medicare was central to Donald Trump’s otherwise ridiculous campaign. And while we abhor his promises to deport millions of individuals, ban Muslims from the U.S., statements and violent acts against women, and so much more―his promises to seniors and working people were what many of his supporters clung to in spite of his bigoted and hateful rhetoric. They deserve to know if he has any intention of keeping those promises.
In his first speech to a joint session of Congress, demand Donald Trump promise to veto any cuts to Social Security and Medicare.
Together we must beat back these attempts to destroy our earned benefits and tell Washington politicians exactly where the American people stand: Expand, don’t cut Social Security!
Thank you,
Michael Phelan
Social Security Works

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

Social Security is a program of immense benefit to everyone.  It allows a reasonable amount of dignity at the end of your life.  Medicare allows you to extend that life a bit using an insurance system that is not perfect and doesn't pay for everything, but it sure helps.  Neither can be privatized or put into a voucher system of any sort without cutting into its provisions in some way. To represent that that can happen is one more scam....a con, if you like that better to get you to look away while what you don't want to happens gets moved into place. 

I'm truly sorry to have to say that the Republican Party in total has become a facilitatior for that kind of scam to occur. I would like to be able to say that the Republican Party is composed of honorable people working for the good of the People of this Nation.  I would like to be able to say that we both want that as the end goal toward which we both work.  We simply differ on how to get there.

'Taint so.  No amount of dissembling and distraction can conceal the Republican's real intent of dimantling and destroying those programs.  If not in one action, then by a constant progression of nibbling around the edges until everything is gone.  They are now willing to openly lie in that effort.

Do this with your Republican friends and office holders...ask for them...all of them...to work with Socail Security Works and draft a concept statement defining what Social Security should be without detail or specifics on how to get to that goal.  Make them sign it and pledge that anything they do, say, or finagle into law will be in strict conformance to that pledge.  See what you get.  My bet is you will get a side-shuffle two-step like you've never seen on any dance floor.

Easy enough to prove me wrong about them and about that...get them to do what I just said.  IF you can, I will gladly shake your hand and theirs and we will stroll off into the sunset together. But if you can't, you better part company with the snake-oil peddlers sooner rather than later.  It's simply bad for your health if you don't.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Mandm84 wrote

Simple tweaks like raising the Cap to $250,000 and FICA by 1% will strengthen Social Security for many years to come , . . . . "

-------------------------------------------------

The SSA Actuary says these things will not fix the program especially if the benefit design is not changed to not increase the benefit for those paying in more contributions.

Since Social Security for the most part is a pay as we go system, meaning benefits are paid out from the incoming contributions.  Then any increase in any benefit for current beneficiaries has to come from those currently paying into the program - that means kids, grandkids who are working.

Social Security benefits are already calculated in a progressive manner based on the bend points.  That means people who made less and paid in less during their working years get a better benefit calculation than those who made more.

Plus higher beneficiaries are taxed more on their benefits based on their total income, including the SS benefit and these taxes go back into the SS program.

Those beneficiaries which have low income may also get other benefits  to subsidize them.  They may get Medicare Extra Help, be a Dual eligible for Medicaid in addition to Medicare, they may get benefits from the SNAP program or a subsidy for their winter energy use, to name some.  ALL these things have value.  A bigger SS benefit could put them over the income line where they might lose some if not all of these other helping programs because income is the basis for most of these other programs.

A lot to think about and a lot to figure out based on pure numbers.

Why don't you start asking for some numbers from Social Security Works.

I'd be interested in those links or copy/paste.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Sorry Byron, you post it, you "said" it. You dislike being associated with what you post, don't post it.

As for kids/grandkids being (by inference) the ONLY ones to decide, that's nothing but a ruse to support the GOP approach - continue to do nothing until both systems fail, then kill them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Byron says 79% of 8700 adults said they would agree with increasing the retirement age to 68 if it meant keeping the system solvent for future generations. What would be the approval rate if you asked if they would agree to raising the "cap" on contributions so it covered the same portion of income that it did when Reagan was president in order to preserve the system for future generations? My guess is 100%, less those who worship the Uberrich.

We do NOT need to condemn our children and grandchildren to less than we have. We only need to make those who benefit most from our Society to pay a fair share for maintaining that society - raise the contribution cap for SS to $250,000 and increase the Medicare contribution by 0.4%. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, and nobody has to work longer or get less.

This comment is off base in two directions and commenter seems not to get the point so I'll try again

• 1. I did not "say" anything. What I posted was simply a repost of the last paragraphs of exactly the same article that the first commenter cut and paste and posted in the first chronological comment. Apparently the first commenter is in favor of cutting Social Security and Medicare or did not read what he or she posted.
  • 2. "We" do "NOT (why do people capitalize simple words?) need to condemn our children or grandchildren" or do anything else on this subject IF like me you are already on Medicare and Social Security and therefore well down the back nine. It's up to the kids and grandkids to understand the issues and decide what they want. Congress can triple tax rates and/or cut them in thirds and it is not going to cost me any more or less either way or reduce or increase my "retirement" benefits. The kids and grandkids are the ones that are going to have to pay more if they want more. Given that these issues have been pretty much the same since "we" (this time it was me) acted on them in the 1980s and 1990s, I guess the kids and grandkids don't care.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

poster states " I've always felt that this person that just cuts and pastes articles from other web sites didn't really read them. "

I am that person and I'm a member of "Social Security Works" and they can tell it like it is , much better than I. I've attempted to get my message out both ways in the past and we should all stay active in our own way to protect both S.S. and Medicare , as we know it.

Simple tweaks like raising the Cap to $250,000 and FICA by 1% will strengthen Social Security for many years to come , BUT of course the Far Right Plutocrats wont allow the top 1% to take ANY hit , but are ok with the rest of us to takes hits.

I apologize If I Copy and Paste too often , but some say it better than I and warning shots are also necessary these days !!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Byron says 79% of 8700 adults said they would agree with increasing the retirement age to 68 if it meant keeping the system solvent for future generations. What would be the approval rate if you asked if they would agree to raising the "cap" on contributions so it covered the same portion of income that it did when Reagan was president in order to preserve the system for future generations? My guess is 100%, less those who worship the Uberrich.

We do NOT need to condemn our children and grandchildren to less than we have. We only need to make those who benefit most from our Society to pay a fair share for maintaining that society - raise the contribution cap for SS to $250,000 and increase the Medicare contribution by 0.4%. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, and nobody has to work longer or get less.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Republicans are correct - if something is not done to restore the necessary funding to Social Security and Medicare, "somebody's going to take a pay cut". Their "someone" is and always will be The Middle Class.

Democrats realize that the only way Civilization happens is we organize to take SURPLUS (that which is not needed to survive) income and use it to provide things individuals cannot provide for themselves - safety, roads and bridges, courts, an accepted medium of exchange (money), schools, and laws to keep the powerful from preying on the not-so-powerful.

The Middle Class, thanks to Republican tax policy and deregulation, HAVE NO SURPLUS INCOME. 60% of American families could not come up with $600 to cover an unexpected expense. 90% cannot save enough to finance their retirement. And yet, Republicans demand these are the ones who must "shoulder the burden" of financing our Government.

The solution for SS is to increase the "cap" to $250,000 immediately, or leave the current maximum payment in place and increase the cap to $250,000 incrementally over 3-4 years.

The solution for Medicare is to tax payments made for those beneficiaries earning over $75,000 (vs $85K now) and increase the rate for those under 65 by 0.4%, from 2.9% to 3.3%.

The improvement that will make PPACA affordable and available for everyone is to make having health insurance MANDATORY. It is not an "individual choice" to buy health insurance that is at issue here, it's an individual deciding to be a parasite on society. You might be an EXCELLENT driver, but because your chance of being involved in an accident are virtually 100%, you must have car insurance. Likewise, you may be in excellent health, BUT you have a 100% chance of being involved in an illness, condition or accident requiring medical attention, so you must have health insurance.

And of course the way to solve all the problems for SS, Medicare and Heath Insurance is to remove the parasitic GOP from power.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

At our townhall meeting people discussed the following:

Obamacare added ten years to medicare

use money for ss and/ or medicare instead of wasting money on

--a stupid wall

--an imaginary epedemic of voter fraud

--a build up of mitary (although the way Trump is going we may need more military to fight the wars he may start)

--have the rich pay their far share for once

The right is soo proud that Trump is keeping his campaign promises-wonder how they feel now

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@umbarch64 wrote:

More is yet to come along this line mandm. I know you know that...now IF the other AARP members and users listen, by 2018 maybe, just maybe this "thing" can be turned around.  Thank you for your efforts.  I will presume to thank you on behalf of those who cannot any longer as well.  I hope they don't mind.  

I've always felt that this person that just cuts and pastes articles from other web sites didn't really read them. But maybe he or she agrees with Mulvaney and is in favor of cutting Medicare and Social Security benefits as the last five paragraphs of the article describe:

• "Though these solutions might make some people upset, they do hit on a critical point of Social Security and/or Medicare reform: the idea that benefit cuts may need to be accepted alongside increases to revenue in order to negotiate a long-term solution. For example, the "Voice of the People" survey found that 79% of the nearly 8,700 adults questioned across America from all political parties would prefer to increase Social Security's retirement age to 68 from 67 if it meant the preservation of the program for future generations of Americans. Even though increasing the retirement age could effectively decrease payouts for all future generations of retirees, the public recognizes the need make the program work. 
  • "No matter how Social Security or Medicare are eventually fixed, the reality is that something, or someone, has to give. If benefits are kept where they are now without a cut, it means the workforce will have to pay more into both programs. If the working class isn't going to pay anymore, it means future and/or current retirees may need to deal with a cut in benefits. Mulvaney described himself during his hearings as a "straight shooter." While his ideas of cutting Social Security and Medicare benefits may not be popular in Washington, they speak to the reality that if something is going to get done, someone's going to have to take a pay cut."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors