Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE TO THE "GRAND OLD PARTY"

Message 1 of 11

pc....I saw it.  Putin and Trump practice the latest iteration of a tactic authoritarians have employed for as long as government has existed. And no, government is not the only venue in which unquestioning "confidence" or "belief" from the audience gets you what you want.  It is a classic tactic employed by con men and demagogues for centuries....technology makes it both more visible and more effective. 

That is, of course, a comment about both the capacity and rationality of....I guess 'devotees' would be a good word to use.  'Faithful' would be another.  'Developer', 'Entrpreneur', 'Time-share peddler', 'Marketer'......all other words that can fit what these guys are.  Truth is, they're all conficence men/women [can't ignore the 'gentler sex here] out to gain advantage however they can.  Ethics?  I very much doubt that word has any meaning in their world.

Here refer to the editorial board of the LA Times April 2, 2017 website article in 4 parts entitled "Our Dishonest President".  I'm not going to paraphrase.  In my opinion, it is precise and accurate.

It is the first in a series.  II will be Why Trump Lies.  III and IV apparently are not yet titled, but will follow Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'm told you can subscribe on facebook, twitter and the like and may find this article and following articles at @latimesopinion.  I'm waiting for the "Fake News" screams from the gaggle of geese in the gallery.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

If the Establishment Republicans don't start listening to the base they too will be gone when they are up for re-election.

What is the base?

Is it the GOP of the Bush Family, the Cruzs, and the Rubios.

Or is it possibly those that make up the Freedom Caucus; formally known as the TEA Party.

Or is the BLIND followers of the depraved, habitually bankrupted, sexual deviant that presently occupies the White House with his oligarchy of a Cabinet.

No one knows what the base of the GOP is any more because this one man, DUFUS TRUMP, has fractured the GOP beyond repair.

All the king's horses and all the king's men won't be able to put it together again.

President Trump's base is the voters who nominated him and then elected him. It is not the Party establishment nor is it career politicians.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@jimc91 wrote:

If the Establishment Republicans don't start listening to the base they too will be gone when they are up for re-election.

What is the base?

Is it the GOP of the Bush Family, the Cruzs, and the Rubios.

Or is it possibly those that make up the Freedom Caucus; formally known as the TEA Party.

Or is the BLIND followers of the depraved, habitually bankrupted, sexual deviant that presently occupies the White House with his oligarchy of a Cabinet.

No one knows what the base of the GOP is any more because this one man, DUFUS TRUMP, has fractured the GOP beyond repair.

All the king's horses and all the king's men won't be able to put it together again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

umbarch64--I don't know if this got lost in all the posts flying back and forth, but CNN had a special on Putin the other day.  One of the things that was spoken about was how one of Putin's ploys when trying to create calm and trust amongst the Russian people is to tell them that anything other than what he is telling them is "Fake News."  Can't imagine Trump is original enough to have come up with anything original, and even though, this isonly  one of many poisonous thoughts Trump has interjected in the lives of Americans, knowing the origin of this ridiculous "Fake News" comment is frightening.

Also heard on CNN is that the Russians will plant "Fake News" about both parties, in order to divide the nation.  LOOK AT US RIGHT NOW.  Many have lost friends over this ridiculous man and his dangerous administration. I find it hard to go to the salon and listen to people prasing God that he has sent us this president.

You are right--YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT--this is not normal--it is not a old norm, nor is it a new norm.  This is danger.  This is dysfunction.  This is criminal. 

As for a name of this new GOP--I suggest the name represent what this administration will no doubt accomplish.

THE PARTY OF RUIN--POR--IRONIC ISN'T IT???

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

The 'Greedy Old Party'.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@Richva wrote:

Speaking as a progressive Democrat, I am very satisfied with the way the Republican party has developed and thrilled with the daily stories about the Trump Administration.  Please don't change a thing. 

I am hoping for great change. I am hoping that the Republican Party wakes up to the messages that they have been sent but not responded to. 

It appears that the Dems have also gotten a message and they are doing a major overhaul.

Gonna be interesting.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Speaking as a progressive Democrat, I am very satisfied with the way the Republican party has developed and thrilled with the daily stories about the Trump Administration.  Please don't change a thing. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@rk9152 wrote:

The idea of merely changing the name is quite shallow. In reality a basic philosophical change is needed. The rise of the Tea Party sent a message that was ignored. The nomination of Donald Trump sent a message and yet it is hard to see the establishment as actually getting the message.

Over a period of decades a fundamental change took place in the Democratic Party as the old Liberals were replace by the Progressive Movement.

The name stayed the same for the Democrats. Should the need changes occur withing the Republican Party, a name change is unneeded.

You are so right!  John Kennedy would not recognize the democrat party today.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

The idea of merely changing the name is quite shallow. In reality a basic philosophical change is needed. The rise of the Tea Party sent a message that was ignored. The nomination of Donald Trump sent a message and yet it is hard to see the establishment as actually getting the message.

Over a period of decades a fundamental change took place in the Democratic Party as the old Liberals were replace by the Progressive Movement.

The name stayed the same for the Democrats. Should the need changes occur withing the Republican Party, a name change is unneeded.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

@nctarheel wrote:

In this era of any news other than from Fox News or Brietbart News is considered fake news........

In this era where "alternative facts" can take the place of true facts.....

In this era where the Commander in Chief has no command of the English language...

In this era, where the leader of the country surrounds himself with oligarchs and family members...

In this era when a sexually depraved, habitually bankrupted, racist, miscreant can become the leader of a political party.....

THEN IT IS TIME TO CHANGE THE GOP FROM "GRAND" OLD PARTY TO SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE, WHILE IT IS OLD AND A PARTY, IT IS ANYTHING BUT GRAND.

Some suggestions might be:

"GRAFT" Old Party

"GREASY" Old Party

"GUILTY" Old Party

"GREEDY" Old Party

"GLUTTONOUS" Old Party

"GORGING" Old Party

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Well.......now that you ask...yes I do.  But each time I start to write one down, I think, "this only works on a symptoms, not the  disease itself which is in its later stages". 

I then think about where and when the disease started, the human foibles that allowed it to get a foothold and how it mutated into what it is today.  Nobody really knows when it started...seems like it's always been around, doesn't it?  Seems like there once was a time here in this place there was a 'shining city on a hill'.  People didn't disregard Truth and decency.  They didn't act like they do today. I hear folks talk about that place and time on occassion...even here in this place of bickering and confusion.  I can remember that once there was such a time....once there was.

At that point in my reverie, I am forced to say, "Self, you know nostalgia is a trap and treating symptoms instead of the disease will only postpone the inevitable. This political thing went epidemic here somewhere around the time of Barry Goldwater.  That's the origin.  Guess what?  Working Time Machines haven't been invented yet." 

Despite not being able to go back, it still seems to me we still have to get rid of this 'thing'.  You and I 'know' that left alone it will destroy civilization, at least as we have come to envision it should be.  So....IF we can't do it there, we have to do it here in this time..... on a much wider scale now that we have let it go on so long.

Where to start?  Well....my son would say, "IF you get hung up on finding the right place to start, you never will.  Sometimes you just have to do it.  The doing will tell you what you have to do next."    I think he nailed it. 

So...let's start by not tolerating distortions of the Truth.  Unless and until people can have confidence that what they see and hear is True, no one can ever be sure that the proposed way forward is correct, for it may not be a truthful representation.  A rational being might have a very hard time doing that.

I hope you can see clearly what "the donald" and his minions have brought about. This is NOT normal, never was.  This is NOT the NEW NORMAL either.  It is NOT how civilization progresses.  .  The real solution becomes more obvious with each passing day.  This is where we start!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors