Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

THIS IS NOT AMERICA

Message 11 of 53

LouD's post was excellent. However, unlike a Grand Jury, where the prosecutor reigns supreme and the defense doesn't participate, that's not true during an impeachment hearing. For example, I believe both Nixon and Clinton mounted a DEFENSE during their impeachment proceedings. 

However, we know for a FACT, that Trump formally rejected the opportunity to present a DEFENSE during the Impeachment proceedings.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: THIS IS NOT AMERICA

Message 12 of 53

I know everyone out there has heard of a grand jury.

The prosecutor can do pretty much whatever he wants to during a grand jury. Lawyers for the defense aren't even allowed in the room when a grand jury sits.  The only thing the prosecutor must prove is that there is enough evidence for a trial. If you are indicted by a grand jury you sit for trial or cop a plea. During impeachment proceedings the House act as a grand jury. An impeachment is like an indictment That is due process in the United States I swear to God I don't know what country some of you people are from. 

"The buck stops here." Harry S Truman
"I don't take responsibility at all." Donald J. Trump
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 53

If we don't like the President -- let's impeach him. This impacts every President from now on. That's just wrong.

No, if the President is accused of crimes, we examine the facts in the House , and then if the evidence shows the President did commit crimes,  we impeach him, and then we try him in the Senate.

We had a trial in the Senate  that didn't allow evidence or witnesses , first time in history.

Why did that happen?

Now can we all get trials like that if we're accused of crimes, or is that just for Trump.

What do you call that?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 53

@MichaelF112841 wrote:

Nice try.  That's your version of reality. 

and that's where I will end.  There is no understanding. 

look at the times lines.  Look at the witness lists.  They are all one sided.  I am not assuming that you will believe that.  Because you don't want to.

i hope that neither your nor I are ever treated the same way that the impeachment trial was handled.  That is not the way this country was built.  For all of our sakes.

i wish you all well.

I agree. They should have finished the job and kicked the cretin out the door.

When I find myself in a political argument IRL, (almost never) at some point I ask people for the name of their congressman (person). If they don't know it they're not talking politics they're just killing time, really. They have a perfect right to  do this just as I have a perfect right to make an excuse and walk away.

Try it. Name your congressman. Not here on the boards, just to yourself, privately. If you don't know it and you are arguing politcs you are simply a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there.

"The buck stops here." Harry S Truman
"I don't take responsibility at all." Donald J. Trump
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 53

Its healthy to have a strong discussion on the table and yours is a good one.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 53

I know, clueless.

In politics, there is your opinion, and then there is my correct opionion. (oxymoron)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 53

Trump is going to die by the internet, which is the thing that got him elected with help from Wikileaks.

The negative publicity against his opponent in 16 is going to bite him in 2020 with things released about him, this time.

The Russians want Ukaraine back and thier campaign and loans paid, and Trump has not delivered either. 

Its a sword that cuts both ways when you deal with the Russian Mafia.

I am not hopeful he will concede an election, he will call it a hoax, and we will have to have secret service drag his ass out of the White House.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 53

I think Michael F forgot to mention Mcarthyism, which went over big for a while until the facist movment got voted out.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 53

We are a Democracy, not a Banana Republic, nor a Monacharcy. The framers of the Constitution sought freedom from Europe and the Kings rules.

People are sworn in to uphold the Constitution of this land, not make up one of thier own.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 53

Critical Thinking supplied you with facts. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.