Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: THE WOMEN

Message 1 of 31

LouD, your signature quote:

Patriotism means to stand by the country.
It does not mean to stand by the president. — Theodore Roosevelt

Today's Washington Republicans need to read this because they throw "the country" (America) out of the window and choose to stand by a corrupt President.  Unpatriotic.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

Ayanna Soyini Pressley (born February 3, 1974)  the U.S. Representative for Massachusetts's 7th congressional district since 2019. Her district includes the northern three-fourths of Boston, most of Cambridge, parts of Milton, as well as all of Chelsea, Everett, Randolph and Somerville.

A member of the Democratic Party, Pressley defeated ten-term incumbent Mike Capuano in the primary election and ran unopposed in the general election. She was previously elected as an at-large member of the Boston City Council in 2010. Pressley was the first black woman elected to the Boston City Council.

She is the first black woman elected to Congress from Massachusetts.

After leaving Boston University, Pressley worked as a district representative for United States Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II, for whom she had interned during college. The work included assisting constituents with Social Security claims and working with senior citizens and veterans and people with disabilities. Pressley became Kennedy's scheduler, then worked as constituency director, before becoming the political director and senior aide for Senator Kerry.

During 2009, Pressley served as United States Senator John Kerry's (D-Mass.) political director.

In her first year as a City Councilor, Pressley formed the Committee on Healthy Women, Families, and Communities, which addresses issues such as domestic violence, child abuse, and human trafficking. She worked collaboratively with community members to develop a comprehensive sexual education and health curriculum and update the expectant and parenting student policy. Both were successfully implemented into Boston Public Schools.

She also claimed that the district needed to be represented by someone who would take a more aggressive role in opposing the presidency of Donald Trump. She campaigned with the slogan "change can't wait", and promised that she would bring "activist leadership."

In the September 4, 2018, Democratic primary election, Pressley defeated Capuano by a margin of 59% to 41%. The primary victory was a surprise, as the last poll before the election showed Capuano with a significant lead, 48% to 35%. Part of the reason the polls may have been inaccurate was a surge in the number of primary voters. According to Boston NPR station WBUR, 24 percent of primary voters in the 7th District primary had not voted in the five previous primaries. The percentage of new voters included a disproportionate number of Hispanic and Asian voters. The 7th is so heavily Democratic that any Republican challenger would have faced nearly impossible odds.(Wiki)

“What’s a high crime? How about if an important person hurts somebody of low means? It’s not very scholarly. But I think it’s the truth. — Lindsey Graham
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

I gave you the truth so if you think that is insults then you prove what I said correct. I have proved nothing of yours as correct I have posted for years now that the ACA was a Reb. based bill. And so have I It was written as the Reb. answer to Hillery Care.  It was tested in Mass. by a Reb. Governor, and Dem house and senate. It worked. You are about 2years late in your post and once again prove my point. You must not have paid attention to any of my postings over the past ten years, I have posted about the entire history of the ACA, including everything you just mentioned, so no I am not "two years late and have proved any point of yours. It was chosen by Obama as a starting point for Health Care reform because it was a Reb. bill and it could be passed. And he was wrong, almost no Republicans voted for it.Obama got the person who did the work in Mass and hired him to do the the same thing for the ACA. It was passed  after some changes forced by the death of Senator TK, and the refusal of Dem Senator J.L. Ct. to agree to the public option which was left out.  We have health care for all now We don't have equal health care for all now, some have lousy coverage and some resort to emergency rooms.and have hid it for the last 100 years. You couldn't be more wrong Just go to the ER you will be treated. Again, that's not adequate and quality health care, waiting until you are sick to be treated is inadequate and cannot be considered to be quality health care. Unless you accept that you will not move to a version of Medicare over 65  for under 65. You have no idea what you are talking about on the Insurance Carriers. Actually it sounds more like you think you know what you are talking about when you actually don't.

That the is path you want to take us down so we get Dictator Trump and follow Germany in its path of destruction by Dictator Hitler. This is another statement that denigrates anyone who favors Bernie Sanders. To win from Trump his opponent must control the direction of the election, not be reacting to Trump. And yet you continually "react to tRump".
So far that has not happened, and Bernie is about the furthest from doing that. You mean 'in your opinion'. So I say to you work on Bernie and make him change it is not to late. What do you mean by "work on Bernie"?" Bernie Sanders is Bernie Sanders. Joe Biden is Joe Biden. Perhaps you should 'work on Joe Biden'. 

Spoken like a True Trump supporter, and shows like the Trump enablers you understand little as you blue shows. Next time try writing in black on your own. I hope there are not many people going down your path as if there are Trump wins. You do not even understand I am not a Biden supporter but your tyraide goes on. You seem to be a Bernie supporter and we have Trump now due in a good part to Bernie supporters. They did not vote or voted for Jill who the Russians were working   for also. This time no Jill so it seem by Bernie supporters posts they would rather have Trump again to take us down the path Hitler did in Germany.

You don't like BlueBlue is the Democrat's color.  Do you like Red(ha ha)

You continue with your erroneous "trump supporter" insults, your "enabler" insults, your "understand little" insults, and your "take us down the path Hitler did in Germany" insults.

You claim to not be a Biden supporter, yet you keep attacking anyone not supporting him.

You state many erroneous opinions as to how many others here voted in the last election, when you have no idea how anyone voted unless they tell you. For the record, I voted for Hillary and you would have known that if you paid attention to what I here have posted all along. Yes, I supported Bernie in the 2016 primary, but voted for Hillary. Today, I will support who I want in the primary, and then vote for the winner of the Democratic Primary.  I will do so without your insults and badgering about it.

If you choose to continue with your insults and badgering ........  so be it ........ do it with someone else.

The truth hurts but you can not change it.  Now by your so be it I hope that means no more going after people who do not agree with you.

Look in the mirror.

I feel very sorry for you. I hope anyone who has been following this sees what we are up against in the coming election. Not only do we have Trump and his enablers, but a lot of work to be done with people who say they are part of the Trump opposition. Just this evening on TV they covered Maine and talked to people who voted for Trump in a District that elected a Dem to Congress for the first time last election. It was chilling at what they heard from them. The Chairperson of the County Dem said what would help if Congress got back to important things like solving problems with education, health care were two. Not one word of educating people on what Trump has done or is doing. If you follow my back and forth in here, plus other back and forth in this thread you see the same thing. If the Dems do not set the basis the election is run on, and allow Trump to do it there is a good chance he wins period. Just take a look at the TV adds being run by Trump PAC against Dem House members they think they can switch. You can lead the horse to water but you can not make them drink and this thread proves that. All better take a long and hard look at what is going on, and how non trump enablers really can be a sheep in wolf clothing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 31

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

I gave you the truth so if you think that is insults then you prove what I said correct. I have proved nothing of yours as correct I have posted for years now that the ACA was a Reb. based bill. And so have I It was written as the Reb. answer to Hillery Care.  It was tested in Mass. by a Reb. Governor, and Dem house and senate. It worked. You are about 2years late in your post and once again prove my point. You must not have paid attention to any of my postings over the past ten years, I have posted about the entire history of the ACA, including everything you just mentioned, so no I am not "two years late and have proved any point of yours. It was chosen by Obama as a starting point for Health Care reform because it was a Reb. bill and it could be passed. And he was wrong, almost no Republicans voted for it.Obama got the person who did the work in Mass and hired him to do the the same thing for the ACA. It was passed  after some changes forced by the death of Senator TK, and the refusal of Dem Senator J.L. Ct. to agree to the public option which was left out.  We have health care for all now We don't have equal health care for all now, some have lousy coverage and some resort to emergency rooms.and have hid it for the last 100 years. You couldn't be more wrong Just go to the ER you will be treated. Again, that's not adequate and quality health care, waiting until you are sick to be treated is inadequate and cannot be considered to be quality health care. Unless you accept that you will not move to a version of Medicare over 65  for under 65. You have no idea what you are talking about on the Insurance Carriers. Actually it sounds more like you think you know what you are talking about when you actually don't.

That the is path you want to take us down so we get Dictator Trump and follow Germany in its path of destruction by Dictator Hitler. This is another statement that denigrates anyone who favors Bernie Sanders. To win from Trump his opponent must control the direction of the election, not be reacting to Trump. And yet you continually "react to tRump".
So far that has not happened, and Bernie is about the furthest from doing that. You mean 'in your opinion'. So I say to you work on Bernie and make him change it is not to late. What do you mean by "work on Bernie"?" Bernie Sanders is Bernie Sanders. Joe Biden is Joe Biden. Perhaps you should 'work on Joe Biden'. 

Spoken like a True Trump supporter, and shows like the Trump enablers you understand little as you blue shows. Next time try writing in black on your own. I hope there are not many people going down your path as if there are Trump wins. You do not even understand I am not a Biden supporter but your tyraide goes on. You seem to be a Bernie supporter and we have Trump now due in a good part to Bernie supporters. They did not vote or voted for Jill who the Russians were working   for also. This time no Jill so it seem by Bernie supporters posts they would rather have Trump again to take us down the path Hitler did in Germany.

You continue with your erroneous "trump supporter" insults, your "enabler" insults, your "understand little" insults, and your "take us down the path Hitler did in Germany" insults.

You claim to not be a Biden supporter, yet you keep attacking anyone not supporting him.

You state many erroneous opinions as to how many others here voted in the last election, when you have no idea how anyone voted unless they tell you. For the record, I voted for Hillary and you would have known that if you paid attention to what I here have posted all along. Yes, I supported Bernie in the 2016 primary, but voted for Hillary. Today, I will support who I want in the primary, and then vote for the winner of the Democratic Primary.  I will do so without your insults and badgering about it.

If you choose to continue with your insults and badgering ........  so be it ........ do it with someone else.

The truth hurts but you can not change it.  Now by your so be it I hope that means no more going after people who do not agree with you.

Look in the mirror.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31

@ChasKy53 wrote:

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

ChasKy53 in blue text:
@john258 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@LouD17624 wrote:

Kamala Harris 

Harris was born in Oakland, California, and is a graduate of Howard University and University of California, Hastings College of the Law. In the 1990s, she worked in the San Francisco District Attorney's Office and the City Attorney of San Francisco's office. In 2004, she was elected District Attorney of San Francisco.

Harris won the election as California's Attorney General in 2010 and was reelected in 2014 by a wide margin. On November 8, 2016, she defeated Loretta Sanchez in the 2016 Senate election to succeed outgoing Senator Barbara Boxer, becoming California's third female U.S. Senator, and the first of either Jamaican or Indian ancestry.[2] Since becoming a Senator, she has supported single-payer healthcare, federal descheduling of cannabis, support for sanctuary cities, the DREAM Act, a ban on assault rifles, and lowering the tax burden for the working and middle classes while raising taxes on corporations and the wealthiest one percent of Americans.

(Wiki)

Harris wants to double the number of mental health treatment beds across the country and rely on Medicare to cover mental health services.

As part of her mental health platform unveiled Monday, Harris said she wants to focus on vulnerable populations such as veterans and children and remove “roadblocks” such as surprise billing for out-of-network providers or higher charges for mental health services.

“My plan will deliver mental health care on demand and get care for all Americans who need it by removing obstacles like high copays and deductibles, providing direct access to providers via telemedicine, and investing research dollars into public health challenges facing our veterans,” Harris said.

She also proposed to repeal a Medicaid policy that prohibits federal funds from going toward large mental health institutions, which she said has exacerbated a shortage of acute psychiatric care beds. 

Harris did not specify how she would pay for her mental health plan, which relies heavily on her “Medicare for All” plan. Her Medicare for All plan would offer mental health services on demand through phone or video to all Americans without deductibles or copays. 

It proposes a $100 million fund for Native American communities to address mental health but does not put a price on other policies, which could be quite expensive.

For example, Congress has tried to get rid of the Medicaid payment policy in the past but failed largely because of the price tag. A Congressional Budget Office estimate of a previous bill that included such a repeal found it would cost $40 to $60 billion over 10 years.

(The Hill)

Many of our Veterans the others are on the streets because of cuts to mental health care. Kamala cannot achieve her mental health service initiatives and/or Medicare for all without Progressives in the House and Senate.

When will Americans wake up and realize that Progressives are the only ones who will actually strive to meet the needs of the 99%. Conservative Democrats had control of both the House and Senate during the first two years of Obama's Presidency and did nothing to raise taxes back up on the wealthiest, getting funding back for the mentally ill, or many of the other things that Kamala and others have endorsed. Progressives are the only ones who will do these things.

During the 1st 2 years of Obama being President the main thing was to stop the recession he got from the Reb. turning into another depression, and he did that, and that is why we have a good economy for Trump to destroy. The ACA was also passed in the first 2 years. It is unheard of to get 2 such large things done in 2 years. Sadly progressives can become a lot like Trumpers since they do not really understand how things work. It is easy to endorse, but takes an understanding of the subject, and system to get things done. Neither the far right or far left really understand much about this country.

So now you resort to name calling when someone disagrees with you and is a bit progressive?  "A lot like Trumpers"?  "do not really understand how things work"? "Neither the far right or the far left understand much about this country"?   Really?   So I am now "the far left" Really?  

I have news for you John, I am not "far left", and it's a bit egotistical to think that someone who disagrees with you "doesn't understand much about this country" or "doesn't understand how things work". It's rather difficult to have adult rational discussion with anyone with that kind of attitude. Attacking and insulting someone is no formula for adult and rational discussion and is actually a trait of the 'far right'.

Well looks like we hit a soft spot to create such a response.   

No John, 'YOU', not "we" "hit a hot spot"  by hurling insults.

The ACA was a start.  BUT ......... it was basically written by Republicans, the Heritage Foundation. It gives tax dollars to Insurance Giants disguised as a supplement for the economically challenged. It leaves millions still uninsured. I am not apposed to the ACA but I'm not hesitant to criticize things about it either. It is a first step towards a universal health care plan and it is time to move towards it.

The centrist Democrats never made one attempt during their two year majority in both Houses (the first two years of Obama's presidency) to raise taxes back up on the wealthiest or to address the Billions spent by the wealthiest and large corporations on lobbying and in our elections. To tell the truth, centrist establishment Democrats will never do either.

The $Billions$ that the corporations and the 1% spend in our elections and in Lobbying is the root cause of our problems. The only ones that will address those two root problems are Progressives.

I gave you the truth so if you think that is insults then you prove what I said correct. I have posted for years now that the ACA was a Reb. based bill. It was written as the Reb. answer to Hillery Care.  It was tested in Mass. by a Reb. Governor, and Dem house and senate. It worked. You are about 2years late in your post and once again prove my point. It was chosen by Obama as a starting point for Health Care reform because it was a Reb. bill and it could be passed. Obama got the person who did the work in Mass and hired him to do the the same thing for the ACA. It was passed after some changes forced by the death of Senator TK, and the refusal of Dem Senator J.L. Ct. to agree to the public option which was left out.  We have health care for all now and have hid it for the last 100 years. Just go to the ER you will be treated. Unless you accept that you will not move to a version of Medicare over 65  for under 65. You have no idea what you are talking about on the Insurance Carriers. The one thing it did was say they had to have  an 80%  loss  ratio which cut our cost by about 20%. If you are referring to Medicare Adv. that started under Bush and  the ACA was doing away with the extra 15%. Trump has been destroying the ACA by rule changes for  his time as President. It is now at the point where shortly we will all see some very large cost increases in everything to do with the health care area. It will take close to 4 years to undo that by the next President and you do not move forwarded until that happens.

This country was in  a recession headed toward a depression when Obama came into office. They were exciting a plan to get us out of that, and their plan was working. The plan was started under Bush 2 and did not include tax increases on the top which would not have passed the house or Senate so smart people do not do foolish things like go  after a looser.

Yes there is to much money in elections, and it was the Reb. who caused that. If the next President has a super majority in house and senate they could make a start on that, but there are a few court rulings on the books that could block a lot of changes. They have to be worked on, and with the way the court is now that will not happen for some years.

History is something you must look at to move forwarded since you have to build on it. Unless we see some major changes in the people running for President as Dems. Trump could win again as he will control the election from top to bottom. That is something Bernie has little understanding of and would I think be Trumps 2nd choice to have him run against because Trump could win. That the is path you want to take us down so we get Dictator Trump and follow Germany in its path of destruction by Dictator Hitler. To win from Trump his opponent must control the direction of the election, not be reacting to Trump. So far that has not happened, and Bernie is about the furthest from doing that. So I say to you work on Bernie and make him change it is not to late.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31

Back to topic. I can support a Woman to be our President, or Vice President, and have supported Women for higher office for many years...even when they get the most votes, by a large margin!
Now, for our current quandary...I support many of the progressive ideas whether in full form, or in a compromise form...

but, if trump is re-elected, are implementation of those ideas even possible? Job 1 is to defeat trump and get him out of office. Otherwise, all the other discussions are whimsical air. 
If trump is re-elected, there will be no moderate, liberal, or progressive programs enacted...fact!

Discuss programs, but the real energy needs to go to defeating trump...let's get him out, and then implement programs which are good for all of us. 
We must key on which candidate will be able to defeat trump...otherwise, as they say, all will be folly. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors