Recognized Social Butterfly

THE TRUMP-INSPIRED NEW CDC RECOMMENDATION

The CDC now says that asymptomatic people who have been exposed to COVID-19 no longer should be tested--no tracing needed as well. How conveniently before the election does this fit into Trump's desire to reduce testing and thereby (erroneously) keep the death count lower. Recently, testing has been cut in half, but deaths are incrementally rising.

The spineless CDC is getting crushed by the Trump juggernaut of medical disinformation. The Don has made the once impartial CDC a pawn in his desperate attempt to hang on for a second term. And so it goes with our ruthless authoritarian wannabe.

schlomo
Social Butterfly

LOL  Dang that Trump fella! 🙄 🤣  Too funny, now that they may not say or do like you all think they should it's a whole 'nother story.  Not very loyal folk...

C'mon ya'll, the cdc, your hero fauci, (he is now changing his previous belief and saying that there may very well be a vaccine by the end of THIS YEAR) redfield and just about every scientist that's been involved...have flip-flopped on their recommendations ever since this thing started. And that's why i do the research and listen to what some have to say and then, like President Trump, i use the brain that God gave me and make the decision i think is best for me and the people i love.  I trust ME. 👍  

Thank God President Trump loves the people of this country, even those that hate him...so i do believe that he will do what's best for ALL of us. (but i still trust ME even over him)  No politics involved when it comes to Trump, the virus and helping the people of this country, unlike the democrat party.

KEEP America, AMERICA!  Land of The Free and Home of The Brave...TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! 👍 👍  👍

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here are the newest ones for no-sympto, pre-symptom people or asymptomatic people:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html 

Clarifications made on September 18, 2020

• Due to the significance of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, this guidance further reinforces the need to test asymptomatic persons, including close contacts of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection.

• If you have been in close contact, such as within 6 feet of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection for at least 15 minutes and do not have symptoms.
    • You need a test. Please consult with your healthcare provider or public health official. Testing is recommended for all close contacts of persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested. Pending test results, you should self-quarantine/isolate at home and stay separated from household members to the extent possible and use a separate bedroom and bathroom, if available.
      • A single negative test does not mean you will remain negative at any time point after that test.
      • Even if you have a negative test, you should still self-isolate for 14 days.
    • If you cannot self-isolate, or you are a critical infrastructure worker that must work, wear a mask, physically distance, avoid crowds and indoor crowded places, wash your hands frequently, and monitor yourself for symptoms.
    • If you live with a person at increased risk of severe illness (for example an elderly person or other individuals with underlying medical conditions), take special precautions in the home to protect that individual according to CDC guidelines.
    • Healthcare providers in close contact of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection while using recommended personal protective equipment, do not need to be tested
    • If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have SARS-CoV-2 infection (meaning being within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes).
      • You do not need a test unless recommended or required by your healthcare provider or public health official.
      • If you are tested, you should self-quarantine at home until your test results are known, and then adhere to your healthcare provider’s advice.
      • A negative test does not mean you will remain negative at any time point after that test.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

Here are the newest ones for no-sympto, pre-symptom people or asymptomatic people:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html 

Clarifications made on September 18, 2020

• Due to the significance of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, this guidance further reinforces the need to test asymptomatic persons, including close contacts of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection.

• If you have been in close contact, such as within 6 feet of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection for at least 15 minutes and do not have symptoms.
    • You need a test. Please consult with your healthcare provider or public health official. Testing is recommended for all close contacts of persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Because of the potential for asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, it is important that contacts of individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection be quickly identified and tested. Pending test results, you should self-quarantine/isolate at home and stay separated from household members to the extent possible and use a separate bedroom and bathroom, if available.
      • A single negative test does not mean you will remain negative at any time point after that test.
      • Even if you have a negative test, you should still self-isolate for 14 days.
    • If you cannot self-isolate, or you are a critical infrastructure worker that must work, wear a mask, physically distance, avoid crowds and indoor crowded places, wash your hands frequently, and monitor yourself for symptoms.
    • If you live with a person at increased risk of severe illness (for example an elderly person or other individuals with underlying medical conditions), take special precautions in the home to protect that individual according to CDC guidelines.
    • Healthcare providers in close contact of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection while using recommended personal protective equipment, do not need to be tested
    • If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have SARS-CoV-2 infection (meaning being within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes).
      • You do not need a test unless recommended or required by your healthcare provider or public health official.
      • If you are tested, you should self-quarantine at home until your test results are known, and then adhere to your healthcare provider’s advice.
      • A negative test does not mean you will remain negative at any time point after that test.

How do you know they are real. Who fact checked them. The CDC has to be fact checked on everything and till that happens what they say is nonsense.   Trump in action.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Surprise!  The NYT reports that the questionable CDC testing recommendations were NOT written by CDC scientists and they were published over their serious objections.  Apparently the HHS did a little editing and rewriting of the original recommendations and slid it on the CDC website bypassing the CDC's strict review process.  They also dropped in a little ditty about the importance of reopening schools which is not within the CDC's scientific scope.

Gee, I guess that pretty much confirms whose little thumbprint is all over this BS.  This is an egregious example of "downplaying".  That moron in office is hazardous to our health.  No, make that downright DEADLY to our health. 😡  We need him out before he kills us all!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

Surprise!  The NYT reports that the questionable CDC testing recommendations were NOT written by CDC scientists and they were published over their serious objections.  Apparently the HHS did a little editing and rewriting of the original recommendations and slid it on the CDC website bypassing the CDC's strict review process.  They also dropped in a little ditty about the importance of reopening schools which is not within the CDC's scientific scope.

Gee, I guess that pretty much confirms whose little thumbprint is all over this BS.  This is an egregious example of "downplaying".  That moron in office is hazardous to our health.  No, make that downright DEADLY to our health. 😡  We need him out before he kills us all!

There is  another CDC recommendation out tomorrow we are told that is not from the CDC but on CDC letterhead. It was written by the Trump WH crew.

The CDC Director should resign since he can not protect his people

With this going on the CDC becomes useless to all of us as we will never know what is true.

Trump in action becoming Dictator. 

@john258 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

There is  another CDC recommendation out tomorrow we are told that is not from the CDC but on CDC letterhead. It was written by the Trump WH crew.

The CDC Director should resign since he can not protect his people

With this going on the CDC becomes useless to all of us as we will never know what is true.

Trump in action becoming Dictator. 

I am finding this very disturbing since I originally would check the CDC site for updates and recommendations.  I could NOT listen to those nightly task force briefings, since they frequently morphed into incoherent babble from the guy who knew the least about it, but talked the most and IMO, the pressers were totally useless for information.

When the CDC (or I should say the HHS) first published the revised testing recommendations, I thought this really makes no sense that they would so drastically change their stance.  I understand that as experts learn more about a novel virus, that information evolves, but this was almost a total reversal of previous standards.

So now I have to fact check and vet the CDC site?  I can't even trust them for scientific information?  That sucks.

I don't think anybody wants the facts whitewashed or "downplayed" so we don't "panic".  We are all big girls and boys now.  We can handle it.  In fact, America could've handled it a lot better if we'd known upfront instead of being treated like fragile little children who "daddy Donnie" didn't want to scare.

0 Kudos

UPDATE:

2:14 p.m.
CDC reverses heavily criticized guidance on coronavirus testing

Disease Control and Prevention on Friday reversed a heavily criticized guidance it issued in August about whom should be tested for the novel coronavirus.

The agency updated its recommendation to call for testing anyone — including people without symptoms — who has been in close contact with someone diagnosed with covid-19, the disease caused by the virus.

The change took place after the agency was directed last month by the White House coronavirus task force to shift its testing guidance. The task force-directed guidance said those without symptoms “do not necessarily need a test.”

Last month’s change alarmed public health and medical professionals who raised an outcry because they feared it would add to public confusion and impede contact tracing needed to control the spread of the virus. Administration officials said the push to limit testing was driven by the task force and other federal health officials involved in testing.

Testing of people without symptoms is critical because the CDC estimates that up to 40 percent of people infected with the coronavirus never show symptoms and may be highly infectious and spread the virus to other people.

The guidance posted Friday essentially reverts to the CDC’s original recommendation that all people who have had close contact with a person with documented coronavirus infection need to be tested.

In addition to the outcry from outside public health groups, scientists at the CDC raised concerns that “what had happened was wrong, and it was not good public health practice,” according to one federal health official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal discussions.

The updated recommendation says: “Due to the significance of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, this guidance further reinforces the need to test asymptomatic persons, including close contacts of a person with documented SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Source: Washington Post

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

White House trying to recind a political misstep in interfering with the medical community.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

All should keep in mind the damage is done. No one can believe anything that comes out from the CDC until changes are made to get the political people  out of the CDC. That will never happen as long as Trump is President. That means for the rest of this year everything from the CDC has to be fact checked and approved by someone. Could be some of the medical groups or schools will take that on. One thing for sure a time increase in everything and that means more cases, and more deaths.

Trump in action again. Hurting and killing people.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So far, Dr Redfield is following his Hippocratic Oath and eschewing ToadPOTUS HYPOCRITICAL oath

Toad wants his dupes to NOT wear masks, get infected, and SCARE the sane people away from the polls. If they die, they die, no biggie for Toad who thinks we should just do nothing, let everyone get the disease, and develop Toad's "Herd Mentality" to protect us. By the way, the mortality rate for those infected is 2.6%, herd IMMUNITY requires about 80% of the people to have had the disease and produced antibodies to protect them from future infection. 80% of 340Million Americans is 272Million WITH the disease, of whom 2.6% will DIE SO 2.6% OF 272M =7.1MILLION DEAD AMERICANS because Toad will not admit he was WRONG about wearing masks!

Define "other" and how long will that take to be 'fully' developed?

For Republicans and other's suffering mental impairment:

Covid is spread by someone WITH the disease EXHALING the virus and someone WITHOUT the disease INHALING that virus.

It does not spread by people TOUCHING and infected surface andthen touching their face or sucking their thumb nor does it come from eating food that has virus on it - your digestive juices KILL the virus.

Nope, you ONLY get it because someone WITH the virus exhales, sings, yells, sneezes, etc in your direction and you INHALE the virus carried on the tiny water droplets in that diseased exhalation.

SO the BEST way to stop the spread of the disease is for EVERYONE to wear masks when in public! It's cheap-, it's highly effective and WE CAN DO IT NOW - no waiting 6 months for a vaccine that Republicans won't take anyway.

This will not happen until Joe Biden is President.

So you want to end the Pandemic BEFORE 7.1MILLION AMERICANS DIE?

VOTE FOR JOE BIDEN! or kill 7.1Million of your neighbors - your call.

Social Butterfly

When did Trump become a scientist?

When did Trump become a president?

None of the above?

Honored Social Butterfly

I think perhaps you should read the ACTUAL new CDC testing guidance -

CDC.gov: Overview of Testing for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Updated Aug. 24, 2020 

Revisions made on August 24, 2020

• Diagnostic testing categories have been edited to focus on testing considerations and actions to be taken by individuals undergoing testing

There are a couple of problem here which they are trying to solve or clarify

1.  if people in this category (in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:) take a test and it comes back negative - they think they are home free and they are NOT.  Thus the CDC is telling them they MUST take other actions.

2.  If people in this category (If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have a COVID-19 infection) elect to take a test - they need to self- isolate during that waiting period -  many aren't doing that now.  Thus the CDC is telling them they must take other actions.

0 Kudos

@GailL1 wrote:

I think perhaps you should read the ACTUAL new CDC testing guidance -

CDC.gov: Overview of Testing for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Updated Aug. 24, 2020 

Revisions made on August 24, 2020

• Diagnostic testing categories have been edited to focus on testing considerations and actions to be taken by individuals undergoing testing

There are a couple of problem here which they are trying to solve or clarify

1.  if people in this category (in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:) take a test and it comes back negative - they think they are home free and they are NOT.  Thus the CDC is telling them they MUST take other actions.

2.  If people in this category (If you do not have COVID-19 symptoms and have not been in close contact with someone known to have a COVID-19 infection) elect to take a test - they need to self- isolate during that waiting period -  many aren't doing that now.  Thus the CDC is telling them they must take other actions.

I have read the new CDC guidelines and it says if you come in close contact with someone infected with COVID-19 for more than 15 minutes, but you show no symptoms, then you do not necessarily have to get tested.  So if you feel OK, carry on even though you may be asymptomatic and infect others who also may elect to not get tested?  If the intent is to clarify, the new guidelines make it worse and more confusing IMO.  And I see the 2-week quarantine period has dropped to 10 days.

There are a couple of other questionable and confusing recommendations.  For example, if you attend a large gathering in a high-transmission area and there is no widespread mask wearing or social distancing, you don't need to get tested unless you develop symptoms, and then you need to evaluate your situation which may or may not include testing?  

But, of course, this president has gone from anyone who wants can get tested to there is too much testing going on and it's making him look bad by inflating the numbers.

Another thing to note is that Dr. Fauci was not a part of any discussion to change the guidelines as he was in surgery at the time and he is concerned about its interpretation.

HHS Ass't. Secretary Giroir denied any political influence but acknowledged input from IMPOOPUS's task force after "extensive discussion", at which Dr. Fauci was 'conveniently' not in attendance.

Frankly, the new, improved CDC guidelines sound like so much gobbledygook to me in an attempt to appease the president and downplay asymptomatic spread.

Social Butterfly

IT IS ALL BS. TRUMP WANTS LESS TESTING SO LESS CASES AND LESS POSITIVITY RATES TO MANIPULATE THE STATS. HE IS STUPID AND EMBARASSED ABOUT THE US BEING THE MOST INFECTED NATION IN THE WORLD. ALL HE CARES ABOUT NUMBERS, NOT LIVES.

Honored Social Butterfly

Pushing the donald nonsense on NOT Testing will not pass the smell test - it is shameful that the CDC / FDA had no courage to stand on Medical Expertise and is no longer a respected Federal Agency.   

Is that what the Far Right here wanted when they screamed:  Drain the Swamp - we want everything to be resolved by a politician - we don 't need / want medical experts.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png