Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: THE SUBJECT OF KUDOS

Message 11 of 42

I truly believe that it is petty jealousy and nothing but petty jealousy that is spurring discussion.

So, the solution, which will help those who seem to think a kudo on a website seen by and used by a relatively few number of people, and the use of these kudos which are totally meaningless in the overall scheme of things, is to do away with kudos. No biggy for anyone with any sense of maturity or any  grasp at all on what is important in day to day living.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 42

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I'll kudo a newbie to encourage them to continue expressing their views even if I disagree with their position on a topic.  If I post a topic, I often kudo anyone who posts something constructive, interesting or meaningful, regardless of whether or not I agree.  Isn't that the point of this forum?

Now this I gave kudos to because I emphatically agree. Smiley Happy Inviting and encouraging diversity of thought and mode of expression is one point of these forums. We are better when we are varied in our views, voices and understandings. (Cent, I'd give you 100 kudos if I but could. Smiley Happy)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 42

@rker321, your response is semi-humorous given that you were able to give over 400 kudo's for each time you clicked the "kudo" button at the beginning of the kudo process.  If I recall correctly, you and a couple of other made a game of it giving each other thousands of kudo's in just a few hours.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of it because I didn't and don't really care, just pointing out your view has seemed to change (which is just fine as well).

Like others have posted, I post to show agreement OR support for a poster OR post.  I'll kudo a newbie to encourage them to continue expressing their views even if I disagree with their position on a topic.  If I post a topic, I often kudo anyone who posts something constructive, interesting or meaningful, regardless of whether or not I agree.  Isn't that the point of this forum?

One minor beef though, as stated earlier in this post, there was a time where a poster could kudo a post and it would count for 100 kudo's upto over 400 kudo's.  The mods never explained this (to my knowledge) effectively.  But it was changed about a month later (just a guess on the time).  This is evidenced by the "Top Kudoed Posts" on the right side of the front page of the Politics and Current Events page as indicated below:

Top Kudoed Posts
SUBJECT KUDOS

If you click on the first "Top Kudoed Posts", "Why I'm such a Cynic", you'll note only 4 posters kudo'd the post and their "value" totaled 484 kudo's.  It's incorrect, that post received only 4 kudo's.

The forum moderators, IMO, should correct this issue to accurately reflect which posts receive the most kudo's and not include the bogus numbers from the onset of the kudo process.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 42

@alferdpacker wrote:

On the left side of the main page of "Politics and Current Events Forums"  - on the lower left is "Top Kudoed Authors" - at the bottom of which is a red highlighted  VIEW ALL  that will make a list drop down.

If one left clicks any poster's screen name, a list of kudos given to that poster by what poster and kudos given by that poste to which poster is available - with additional view all drop down lists is available.

Some posters have given/recieved as many as four thousand kudos and some others are in the one and two thousand kudo range...

Look at the list and see for yourself what the facts are about what is what and who is who in the "kudo games"...

TxGrandpa2 wrote: 

.  Therefore kudos in most instances doesn't mean a thing.

I agree - it's always been my belief that many members simply use Kudoing as another way to get their name in lights...........................................................

Without going through all the machinations described by AP - somewhere I'm not sure where exactly because I could care less - but AARP puts on the Main Forum Page a Running Tally of who the Top Kudoers are....................................such sillyness

It reminds me of "LIKES" on Social Media - We already have too many impersonal quick and dirty technical gimmicks to either Praise or Condemn the people who's comments and pictures we view and read.............................in my opinion it's another opportunity to Dumb Down our interpersonal skills and makes it so much easier for everyone to just Zing someone or something W/O doing the research or learning how to communicate effectively

Trump is a perfect example - he's so intellectually lazy and so immature and undisciplined - his main form of communication with the American Public is in Tweets where you are limited to 140 Characters or less and there is absolutely no Requirement that anything be factual or truthful

If you think someones post is exemplary then you should take the time to comment and include the reasons why

I would be remiss if I did not admit I use the Kudo Button Ocassionaley Myself but it's also mostly out of Lazziness...................................

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 42

Another planet heard from: I went on a kudos giving bender last night here in the Political Forum. For fun. Here my kudos doesn't signify agreement as much as support.

Elsewhere I spread kudos around like candy. Rather than use it as a measure of popularity, I give kudos as a way to say "Hey, I'm glad you're here."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 42

Never seen the value of kudos or even as to why they happen to be there. If you like a post you probably will say so and if you don't, the same. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 42

@pc6063 wrote:

With the country being ripped apart by the Trump administration

The topic could be about raising begonias, and invaribly someone would turn that into politics. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 42

Glad everyone liked thinking about kudos...

Most Respectfully Yours

The Cannibal's Descendant

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 42

@Soosie wrote:
Oh man, this is so serious.

Soosie

Well, yes, but only if you take it that way!  Woman Happy

Some people live life by the numbers and life is a competition...how many miles did you run? How many reps did you do?  How much weight can you bench press?  How many carats is your diamond?  How high is your IQ?  How many birds on your life list?  How many bottles of wine in your cellar?  How much acreage do you own?

It gets to be rather ridiculous.  People compete with themselves trying to outdo their "personal best" as if it's The Holy Grail.

It's not that I want to discourage physical fitness nor any other worthy goal, but some people take it to extremes rather than enjoying the activity and the health & fitness it will bring.

My philosophy is similar to @MIseker.  There are so many variables involved, it would be difficult to ascertain exactly how a person acquired so many or so few.  I'm just glad it gives me a way to show appreciation for a member's thoughts or the way he expresses them.  I give kudos if I agree in principle with the post...no matter who creates it.  Saves me writing a reply.

Sometimes I'd really appreciate a "thumbs down" option but I know it would be a bad idea on AARP.  

If kudos are given as a way to reward partisanship or pump up the numbers of "the usual suspects" then it's a sure bet that a thumbs down would be used by some to punish those with whom they disagree!  No, that's an idea not ready for prime-time!

Bottom line, I do use them and appreciate them because it's a way that others can let me know that my post added something to their own understanding of a topical thread, however, I take them with a grain of salt and don't get lost in the numbers.  Lastly, a lack of numbers is a subtle indication that I may be out of the mainstream in my thinking and perhaps I should do a check on myself and re-think my position on certain topics.  If I'm wrong, I will admit it but I won't change my position in an effort to please others.  The very idea that someone panders to others to "collect kudos" is an insult to everyone here.  JMO.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 42
Oh man, this is so serious.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors