Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF CHALLENGING YOUR BELIEFS

Message 1 of 15

Neither good nor bad - but pretty blatant blowing one's own horn.

Just observed what is there for everyone to see...

We all see different things through the lenses of our individual lives, don't we?

@alferdpacker You are certainly free to read into that whatever you like, petty insults and all. Me? Imma gonna have a great evening and hope you do as well. Smiley Happy 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

@Epster wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Well - epster has manged self approval...

@alferdpacker  Hahahahah!

Wait, is that mangled or managed? Either way, lol. Smiley Happy

Epster, who never thought she'd see the day when the worst someone was willing to say about her was that she approved of herself Smiley Happy

Neither good nor bad - but pretty blatant blowing one's own horn.

Just observed what is there for everyone to see...

We all see different things through the lenses of our individual lives, don't we?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@alferdpacker wrote:

@alferdpacker  Hahahahah!

Wait, is that mangled or managed? Either way, lol. Smiley Happy

Epster, who never thought she'd see the day when the worst someone was willing to say about her was that she approved of herself Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@Centristsin2010 Forgot this: I enjoy listening to the ideas of others because, Jimminy Christmas, it's a lot* to expect oneself to come up with the best answer all the time. 

* Actually I consider it to be a form of abuse, let alone poorly applied ego.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

Thank you for your response, @Epster  I agree 100% with what you've posted here.  IMO, many don't have real friends on both sides of the political spectrum, they surround themselves with like-minded people.  I also think some don't want their beliefs challenged as it infringes on their ego's.

I look forward to reading your response(s) once you have more time.  Have a great week-end!

@Centristsin2010 Thanks: we had a fabulous weekend populated with ridiculously accomplished (and beyond inspiring) local senior cyclists. What a crew! Smiley Happy

Yes, agreed: ego misapplied will intellectually isolate a person. Smiley Sad

I have read the totality of the quoted posts and have given myself time to consider those ideas.

My response to their words is this: well, we are not all going to be quality thinkers, nor do we all wish to be. And that’s an okaaaay aspect of diversity, is it not? The very fact that some will blurt out and forget thoughts, nevermind bothering to listen to someone else’s thoughts, while others will chisel their beliefs into the marble staircase of their soul and still others will hold their inner most thoughts so closely that they will have trouble deciphering them is emblematic of diversity. Diversity, for all its splendor is, after all, rather ragged too. We are not all born leaders. Nor do we all have Mensa-worthy IQs. Which brings me back to the beauty of the patchwork quilt we call humanity. We don’t all have to be those things.

That’s, of course, big picture. In the smaller, more localized view of this, namely the AARP Political Forum … hmmmm what is worth saying … (thinking, thinking, thinking) … it may be too much to ask a forum like this to be a place of easy give and take. While I hold true that the individual will experience life expanded should they opt to truly listen to understand a ‘political enemy’, to consider foreign ideas without fear, to turn possibility over again and again looking for something new and real … this construct is probably incapable of fostering that.

That bit of negativity shared, let me say I’d be thrilled if this was a forum where kindness, acceptance and togetherness were fostered.

Thems that can, shall. Thems that caint, wunt.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@mickstuder wrote:

It would be helpful for me...................if you could provide an example of a time you've challenged your own beliefs and found them to need tweaking?

Lets keep it simple and establish a timeframe - say over the time you've been posting on this Forum

I find that on this Forum I get a lot of suggestions from Others about how I don;t process things correctly or I'm being Obtuse but I can honestly say - I've never encountered a situation where someone changed their point of view after reading the comments from others 

Well - except for me of course...........................

@mickstuder - Actually, I have had a change of mind on an issue, but not especially because of any particular arguement made on the forum.

A while back, there was a thread that brought up the issue of whether or not churches should pay taxes if their pastors or others made political endorsements from the pulpit. I can't say that I've ever heard a pastor or deacon make a political endorsement for a candidate, but I have heard them make political remarks in general. For example, one deacon spoke about how he changed his mind on immigration policy after research proved that most of what was being circulated by conservatives were myths. This was during the Obama Administration. He went point by point as to why these were false narratives, and why we needed a complete overhaul to the immigration system.

So back to my issue about churches, taxes, and politics . . . I had followed the belief that if churches were going to get involved in politics, that they should pay taxes. I have changed my mind. Churches are non-profits and should remain so. They perform many services to the poor, for example.

However, I have come to the decision that freedom of speech cuts both ways. Pastors, deacons, and church leaders should have the same right of free speech. No one is forced to listen as people attend church because they want to. I have known people to change churches because of what was perceived as a politically charged sermon, so that is their right. The separation of church and state under the Constitution should mean that Congress should make no law to inhibit their speech. 

Is it wise for churches and pastors to get involved in politics? Well that is another topic.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...What are your thoughts?...".

That the subject is far too esoteric for 99% of the population to remotely understand, much less, attempt to make changes.

So, that puts me in with the people who like 'absolutes'.........Smiley Frustrated

You very well might be right, RT.  IMO, that would be sad, but may speak to why it seems at times we have so many bigots in this country, "someone obstinately devoted to their own opinions and/or prejudices."

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@Epster wrote:

@Centristsin2010 Quite an interesting post. Right up my alley, so to speak. I spot read your post, but am actually just taking a break from a detailed thought process on a time-sensitive project so don't have the ability to digest this at the moment. I will get back to it, (possibly next week, so I plan to email your post to myself and then unsub the thread), so thanks for posting.

On the arguing thing ... a person can challenge their own thoughts through politically opposite RL friends, research and reading both sides of the aisle, if you will. It is not necessary to have a battle of wits in an online forum in order to review one's thought process. I, for one, find online haggling distasteful and unproductive. 

She of the yen for forward motion and more than a few spinning plates Smiley Happy

Thank you for your response, @Epster  I agree 100% with what you've posted here.  IMO, many don't have real friends on both sides of the political spectrum, they surround themselves with like-minded people.  I also think some don't want their beliefs challenged as it infringes on their ego's.

I look forward to reading your response(s) once you have more time.  Have a great week-end!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

"...What are your thoughts?...".

That the subject is far too esoteric for 99% of the population to remotely understand, much less, attempt to make changes.

So, that puts me in with the people who like 'absolutes'.........Smiley Frustrated

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors