Honored Social Butterfly

TEXAS VOTES TO SECEDE FROM THE UNION

For the first time in 80 years, both chambers voted in favor of seceding from the union.

Why is this a concern?

While separatists have been around for 150 years and are considered a fringe movement; this vote was taken at THE TEXAS BOYS STATE, an AMERICAN LEGION summer program. The attendees to this summer program are high school students that are the future leaders of that state; not part of a fringe movement. The vote was taken in a mock legislative exercise that is held every year.

This vote has been taken every year since the inception of the program in 1935. This is the first time it has passed.

The boys said it was the right of TEXANS "to break the chains and throw down the regulations that bind them".

It is sort of like real life where TEXAS flies in opposition to the Law of the Land and end up in court fighting the Federal Government wasting your and mine tax dollars.

I say let them secede, it'll save us all money.

Of course, once again, TEXAS makes the National News.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/26/in-a-first-texas-boys-state-votes-to-s...

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

Why Texas wants out of the union is a mystery, as it seems that trump is giving them the deregulations, etc. they crave. 

However, take into  consideration why other states might want to leave the union--With America and its sham of a president a world wide laughing stock, with the striping away of programs that prove American loves and protects its citizens, with the theft of millions of dollars from the poor and middle class, which is then given to the poor, with the deregulations of so much that so well protected her citizens, we no longer live in the America we love.

Sure can understand why states would vote to leave the union in an effort to create the America we had before the idiot took office.  You know, one the isn't a shameful disgraceful embarrassment to those who care about what this country USED to stand for before the idiot, totalitarian, fool took over.

It would be nice to hold one's high again and say, "Yes, I am proud of this country and what it stands for."  Sure can't do that at this juncture.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Apparently, donald supporters are incapable of reading....and entire article, or they now believe that their "maga" now includes destroying the United States of America.     

Texan teens want to be #1 to vote to destroy the USA...we're #1, we're #1.    That sort of stupidity is taught at home.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

They also want a new car, video games, and for their parents to "leave me alone"!

C'om man ...

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

Come on!!!  You all know of my dream. California please copy Texas,  because you can, You have the 5th largest economy in the world. you can subsist without the rest. Your taxes will be for your citizens your government will be for your people. 
Pity that it won't happen, but it should.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Why bother to secede? Once R's in Congress pass their budget which eliminates or severely cuts federal assistance programs, we will all end up as a bunch of little nation states anyway. Their intent is to make government run at the state levels without interference, i.e. assistance, from the federal government. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

Why bother to secede? Once R's in Congress pass their budget which eliminates or severely cuts federal assistance programs, we will all end up as a bunch of little nation states anyway. Their intent is to make government run at the state levels without interference, i.e. assistance, from the federal government. 

At last someone is really understanding what I have said for years. The minute that the Federal Government doesn't exist in this very big country. The country will also cease to exist.
Can anyone imagine 50 States doing whatever they wish? no centralization of power? No one telling them what is acceptable to all?
I have many times posted the example of Spain, Their provinces  are like States and they very much function independently from each other. The Central Government is very weak. 

So, have you seen Spain lately, do you all want to copy Spain?  Actually the province of Cataloniw will now vote to cecide from Spain. that wil also be something.

Good luck with all the ones that say and want that the States should have mor power. Yep, we aill become a country with 50 little nations.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

MORE Tax Cuts for the already insanely Wealthy at ALL Costs !!! That's our GOP today and their lucrative donations pay them well. Just what our Forefather's had in mind !!!

Don't forget to thank our Republican Supreme Court Justices for endorsing the Plutocratic " Citizen's United " decision.

Honored Social Butterfly

mandm--Well, of course, the Repubs. need Citizens United.  It pays campaign expenses and otherwise allows these immorals to get into office.  Major PAY FOR PLAY.  It's all about money--not lives, not morality, nothing but money.

Honored Social Butterfly

@pc6063 wrote:

mandm--Well, of course, the Repubs. need Citizens United.  It pays campaign expenses and otherwise allows these immorals to get into office.  Major PAY FOR PLAY.  It's all about money--not lives, not morality, nothing but money.

How is it possible Republicans support Trump? Well, the base does it because he validates their own bigotry and the GOPerLords do it for the money.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-Boys-State-votes-to-secede-for-Union-11247209...

While it may excite among some right-wing activists in Texas, secession in practical terms is a legal impossibility. In 1869, the U.S. Supreme Court in a case coming from Texas ruled that no state can unilaterally depart the Union, no matter if a state legislature votes to leave. The Civil War ultimately settled that question, historians and jurists largely agree.

"I cannot imagine that such a question could ever reach the Supreme Court," former Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in 2006 when asked about a Maine secession proposal. "To begin with, the answer is clear. If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede."

https://www.britannica.com/event/Texas-v-White

"Texas v. White, (1869), U.S. Supreme Court case in which it was held that the United States is “an indestructible union” from which no state can secede. ...

...............The Supreme Court held that the intention of the Confederate States to secede meant that they had only temporarily lost privileges of Union membership but had not lost membership itself. Writing for the court, Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase commented that the federal Constitution “in all its provisions looks to an indestructible Union, composed of indestructible States.” Thus, the Supreme Court decreed by law what the Union’s Civil War victory had effected by force, namely, the principle that no state may secede from the Union."

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta- Good point!  How many decades do you suppose the idiot in chief and his fellow group of idiots has set this country back?

Honored Social Butterfly

and this is news?

Key West votes every year to secede... and then they have a party.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Recognized Social Butterfly

No need to worry about Key West, they'll  be under water before Trump leaves office.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Creppelrm--RE:Key West--BAM--score! You are correct!!  Man, I will sure miss it!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:

Long live the Conch Republic!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
and this is news?

Yep, this makes for a good sensational eye-catching subject title, but not as sensational as made out to be.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png