Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prices now! Here’s how. 

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweet Quarterly GDP #, But Changes in Real Wages Dive

Message 41 of 50

@CS402050

Well, from a “little liberal”, welcome back, I guess! And now I’m deemed ”ignorant” to boot!

So, you spoke of Bloomberg, and a govt site but let me ask:

Do you have support for trickle down economics?

Did you benefit from the tax cut?

Have your personal wages went up?

Looked at the chart, didn’t appear to be any large increase like trump promised.

Thanks

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 50

I don't come here much anymore but saw a cute cartoon I thought I'd post. Then I saw this thread and remembered why I stopped coming here. It's all the erroneous nonsense posted by little liberals and this thread is the perfect example.

It starts with a chart from the Commerce Department that shows the GDP jump last quarter. The only accurate information in the thread. It then states that “According to Bloomberg, REAL Wages … is taking a sharp dive” and “trump claimed Tax cuts were going to improve wage growth, but it hasn't happened.” And all the other little liberals who can't think for themselves started cheering and agreeing. A few facts are obviously in order.

1. “According to Bloomberg...?” Half true at best. It's really according to an OPINION piece published in Bloomberg.

2. The OPINION piece talks about REAL wages based on data from Paycheck. Real wages, by definition, are wages adjusted for inflation. Paycheck is a SOFTWARE company whose product is used to convince employees they are being adequately compensated.

3. As the Bloomberg OPINION piece states, wages have gone up which was one of the reasons for the tax cut. It is too early to see the full effect of the tax cut but real wages would have been worse if the wages had not risen due to the tax cut.

4. The primary cause of inflation is demand outstripping supply. That is probably coming from consumer confidence due to the great economy we are experiencing and is a good thing because companies will increase supply to meet that demand, which means more jobs.

5. But forget all that. Forget that you just don't understand what you're talking about. Forget that all the other little liberals seem to be equally ignorant when it comes to economics. Forget everything I said because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because it is, AS ALWAYS, based on erroneous information. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the people who officially track these things, real wages grew last quarter.

www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/realer.pdf

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 50

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

All can be pleased with the quarterly GDP numbers.  We haven't hit 4% since Obama hit 4% two months in a row and 3x's in 4 quarters back in 2013/14.  Still a long way from the 5.2% growth in the 3rd quarter of 2014, but shoot, 4.1% is good.

Image result for gdp

But......

What about REAL Wages?  According to Bloomberg, REAL Wages which impacts every American is taking a sharp dive.

trump claimed Tax cuts were going to improve wage growth, but it hasn't happened.

How the Republican tax cuts are failing workers, in one chart Republicans said corporate tax cuts would boost wages. They’re not.

When Republicans delivered $1.5 trillion in tax cuts last December and slashed the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent, they said it would come with a big wage boost for American workers. Except it hasn’t.

Over the weekend, this chart from Bloomberg showing private data from PayScale’s wage index swept across Twitter. It shows a drop in wages in the second quarter of the year. While wages have risen by 12.9 percent overall since 2006, wages adjusted for inflation (so-called “real wages”) have actually fallen by 9.3 percent.

And between the first and second quarters of 2018 — after the tax cuts were enacted — real wages fell by 1.8 percent.

more at:  How the Republican tax cuts are failing workers, in one chart

Another way to look at Republican economic policy is to realize that while the Economy has consistently produced MORE Goods and Services, (that's the bulk of GDP) the share of the profits from the sale of those goods and services going to the WORKERS who produced them has FALLEN consistently since 1986 because the money has all gone to the BOSSES.

So far, the Republican base is still getting enough to buy food and ammo, so they could care less about never doing as well as their daddies did.

Even seeing their kids not doing as well as they did is no problem because they know the kids today do not hate coloreds, gays or Muslims and therefore have nothing in common with the Republican base.

For now, the Republican base is so outraged at having LOST the "culture Wars" they are more than happy to watch as Der Trumper sends the Country down the porcelain convenience. Fortunately the ones who elected the infantile moron are only 26% of registered voters, so we fix the problem -

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER and Save Your Future.

What is that all about? Are gays and Muslims not enjoying the economic gains just like anyone else??

You are going to have to come up with something more meaningful than the "porcelain convenience" before November.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 50

@williamb39198 wrote:

Cent & Umbar, great applicable posts. Just reinforces the “great lie”

of promises made promises kept. 

-Infrastructure program 

-Mexico will pay for the wall

-Great affordable healthcare

-Will unite the country

-Middle class tax cuts and tax reform

-Drain the swamp

-I’ll be working all the time, no golf

-I will hire only the best people

In truly describing trump, his policies, and fabrications as...”sugar highs” and “ticking time bombs”!

trump supporters did not pay attention to: the “Buyer Beware” sign

tick, tick, tick

Does any of the screed mean that the economy is not doing very well and Americans are not enjoying the benefits? I gotta yell ya, you guys (generic) better come up with something more than the hate filled negativity before November.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 50

All can be pleased with the quarterly GDP numbers. 

People trying to beat the trade wars blowback tried to stock up, don't expect it to happen in the second half of the year.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 50

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

All can be pleased with the quarterly GDP numbers.  We haven't hit 4% since Obama hit 4% two months in a row and 3x's in 4 quarters back in 2013/14.  Still a long way from the 5.2% growth in the 3rd quarter of 2014, but shoot, 4.1% is good.

Image result for gdp

But......

What about REAL Wages?  According to Bloomberg, REAL Wages which impacts every American is taking a sharp dive.

trump claimed Tax cuts were going to improve wage growth, but it hasn't happened.

How the Republican tax cuts are failing workers, in one chart Republicans said corporate tax cuts would boost wages. They’re not.

When Republicans delivered $1.5 trillion in tax cuts last December and slashed the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent, they said it would come with a big wage boost for American workers. Except it hasn’t.

Over the weekend, this chart from Bloomberg showing private data from PayScale’s wage index swept across Twitter. It shows a drop in wages in the second quarter of the year. While wages have risen by 12.9 percent overall since 2006, wages adjusted for inflation (so-called “real wages”) have actually fallen by 9.3 percent.

And between the first and second quarters of 2018 — after the tax cuts were enacted — real wages fell by 1.8 percent.

Another way to look at Republican economic policy is to realize that while the Economy has consistently produced MORE Goods and Services, (that's the bulk of GDP) the share of the profits from the sale of those goods and services going to the WORKERS who produced them has FALLEN consistently since 1986 because the money has all gone to the BOSSES.

So far, the Republican base is still getting enough to buy food and ammo, so they could care less about never doing as well as their daddies did.

Even seeing their kids not doing as well as they did is no problem because they know the kids today do not hate coloreds, gays or Muslims and therefore have nothing in common with the Republican base.

For now, the Republican base is so outraged at having LOST the "culture Wars" they are more than happy to watch as Der Trumper sends the Country down the porcelain convenience. Fortunately the ones who elected the infantile moron are only 26% of registered voters, so we fix the problem -

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER and Save Your Future.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 50

@williamb39198 wrote:

-Infrastructure program 

-Will unite the country

-Drain the swamp

In truly describing trump, his policies, and fabrications as...”sugar highs” and “ticking time bombs”!

tick, tick, tick

Great points, William!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 50

-Infrastructure program 

-Will unite the country

-Drain the swamp

tick, tick, tick

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 50

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You noticed...I was going to quote the whole thing again, just on the off-chance it didn't make sense to the 'expert economists' on this forum.  But....I said to myself...nah.  Why bother.  If it needs repeating, say it a different way.  So...here goes. 

As welcome as the increase in GDP is, it comes at a huge price.  Among them are failure to fix the infrastructure, debt and deficit increases, social and political chaos, destruction of the overall good standing of the United States in the world....just a few consequences.  And they'll ALL have to be fixed and ALL the fixes have to be paid for. 

Guess what?  Tag....you're it.  You'll only get to count ALL the chickens when they ALL come home to roost.  Not before. So...you'll never be quite certain 'til then which one got got and ain't never coming back.  The old farmer was right about a lot of things, but he ain't around anymore.

Everyone whose income depends on money acquired through compensation for their product [labor included] has taken a haircut. It WILL get worse before it get's better...if it ever does.  Once stratification has happened, to reverse it most times results in violence and periods of sustained social disruption. That's aside from the political restructuring mandatory when a totalitarian regime is removed from power.

Your utility bill, the grocery store tape, the price at the pump, the rent bill, your mortgage payment or, ta-da, health insurance are places it shows up first.  And the monthly bill for new necessities goes up from there.  

Have you noticed less and less can be done without internet access?  I have.  I resent it too It has become a necessity.   A means of extracting an extra buck from you and padding the bottom line for someone else.  Can you do without it?  Well....maybe.  Will you?  Nahhhh.

That's just neccessities and that's just to start.  Ater you pay for all that and then some, there's not much left when real work is what you get paid for.  Takes awhile to tally up the consequences of this raid on our resources.   I think they are becoming more and more visible, but someone has to be there to see it.

Everyone needs to become a 'believer' before it's too late. Your bank account has been trying to tell you something.  November is not far away.  IF you don't 'see the light' before then, it may not matter anymore.  What you see in the Republican version of the GDP is not sustainable.

I've heard more than one of our resident 'expert economists' say, "It's my right to believe as I choose".  And so it is....IF the only one affected is yourself.  Ahhhhh, and there's the rub.  That's not the way it works.  Anywhere.  Except for hermits. 

Me?  I know stupid is as stupid does, but there's got to be a limit.  Hope does spring eternal....so I've heard.  How about it...wanna get on my 'band wagon' and 'throw the bums out'?  I suspect we each have our favorite 'bum'.  That's ok.  I'm easy, I'll probably go along with the one you pick.  I'd like company.  How about you?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Sweet Quarterly GDP #, But Changes in Real Wages Dive

Message 50 of 50

Image result for gdp

But......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies