Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweet Quarterly GDP #, But Changes in Real Wages Dive

Message 11 of 50

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The ACTUAL evidence is workers haven't gotten a raise in DECADES.

Here's the data from PEW Research from 1964 to 2014.Wage_stagnationSo where's the Republican numbers to prove this hasn't happened?

It appears that the chart shows a fairly steady picture emerging from 1964 - nothing in there about 1985. Also, there were four Democrat Presidents in that time frame and yet, the line seems quite steady.

So where's the Democratic numbers to prove this hasn't happened?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 50

@Olderscout66

Once again great job on compiling stats about the repubs and our current crisis with trump! Sure that comments will follow.

@Centristsin2010

No problem, we know who is being truthful! Please just keep delivering it 

@rker321

I’ve heard that the 4GDP may be inflated and not sustainable because 

suppliers and manufacturers were trying fill orders and beat the upcoming tariffs. 

@NOTHAPPENING

Are you saying that upper income earners are paying a greater percentage of taxes on their wages versus the percent of wage taxes paid by the middle class?

@CS402050

Thanks for ignoring me! Just thought that it would be good to see some figures to back up comments. But, if that’s the way it is, then that’s the way it is. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 50

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Here's the data from PEW Research from 1964 to 2014.So

First, this thread is about the GDP bump in the second quarter of 2018 and the effect of the tax cuts that went into effect in 2018.  Second, according to the BLS, THE OFFICIAL TRACKERS OF WAGES, nominal and real wages DID go up in the second quarter of 2018.  So I'm curious, do you think what happened under Obama and his predecessors has some bearing or even make sense to you?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 50

Here's the data from PEW Research from 1964 to 2014.Wage_stagnationSo where's the Republican numbers to prove this hasn't happened?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 50

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

GOPers continue to insist showing outrage at how the 99% has been screwed over by Republicans for the last 50 years is somehow a sign of "hatred" while kidnapping non-white refugee children then sending them to sleep on cement floors and vilifying half the American public who isn't being paid enough to pay Federal income tax is okay?

Pathetic, and soooo Republican - the true party of hatred for Women, gays, the poor, minorities and anyone who exposes their calumnite nature.

Your "facts" are not real facts since if 99% were getting screwed, the GOP wouldn't be in office. 1% don't win elections (even with your made up claim that the Russians fixed the election.

Expect more loses at the next election!

You grossly underestimate the power of LIES to blind people to reality, especially when the lies are so carefully tailored to trigger the fears of the ones being lied to. this is how the 99% had their wealth redistributred from THEIR pockets into the pockets of the very top of the 1% without realizing it was happened.

Even now, when the evidence is indisputable that somehow all the gaines for the last 34 years have wound up enriching the very top with the income of the average worker DECLINING, good GOPers still insist things are GREAT when GOPerLords are in charge.

In 1985, the top 1% had around 18% of all the wealth, last year the figure was over 40%. Which means the share of the 99% went from 82% to 60% DESPITE the fact the average number of hours worked each week increased from 40 to 44. How is that NOT being screwed?

GOPers get elected by making their dupes THINK its because blacks and women get special treatment or the rich haven't gotten enough tax cuts or somehow Mexicans and Chinese have forced all the good jobs overseas.

How do YOU think the top 1% DOUBLED their wealth since 1985 while the 99% saw their's SHRINK by 27%? Why have Management real wages increased 1000% and worker wages DECLINED by 10%? Because jrbush started two needless wars? Because Republicans pushed thru tax cuts for the wealthy? Are the rich that much smarter?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 50

@GailL1 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Don't know who you follow but Did you look it up?

The Balance 07/28/2018 - U.S. GDP by Year: Compared to Recessions and Events

The Balance 03/2018 - U.S. GDP Growth Rate by Year Compared to Business Cycles

The current number would even have to be higher to maintain a 4% growth number for all of 2018 - A Possibility - ??? - guess, anything is possible.

But as far as those other Administrations go that you mentioned - hopefully, this year will beat the majority of them.  

I like The Balance - it explains terminology, which makes a difference and gives other data about the numbers - like the current events, business cycles, unemployment numbers compared to GDP growth on these historical data chart.

I read  that Clinton had over 4% in sixteen of his quarters during his Administration. do you think that Trump's  economy can beat that?  besides, let's not sing hallelujah until we see what other quarters bring. In a way hoping that you are correct. but will have to see.  By the way the links that you provided gave me the GDP figures by year not by quarter, and If I read correctly during the Clinton Administration the year firgure was over 4% 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 50

@rker321 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

The only thing that I am going to argue is what Trump  stated'   that the economy grew "an amazing"  4.1 %. never  reached before   I am sure that all of you know for a fact that Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Obama  hit those numbers quite a bit during their Administration. so the word "amazing" is an exaggeration at this point in time.

"Never reached before" without adding "during my term" is not only an exaggeration, it's a flat out LIE.  But we've come to expect that with this clown.

I wonder how many of Trump Followers actually have researched that  statement.? is so easy to find out about what other Administrations have done by quarter that it seems to me not a very well constructed lie.

Don't know who you follow but Did you look it up?

The Balance 07/28/2018 - U.S. GDP by Year: Compared to Recessions and Events

The Balance 03/2018 - U.S. GDP Growth Rate by Year Compared to Business Cycles

The current number would even have to be higher to maintain a 4% growth number for all of 2018 - A Possibility - ??? - guess, anything is possible.

But as far as those other Administrations go that you mentioned - hopefully, this year will beat the majority of them.  

I like The Balance - it explains terminology, which makes a difference and gives other data about the numbers - like the current events, business cycles, unemployment numbers compared to GDP growth on these historical data chart.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 50

@rker321:  
Can you give me a reference to Trump saying "never reached before?"  I can't find it anywhere and, IF TRUE, would like to see the context.  The closest I could find in his speech was:

"Moments ago, the numbers for America's economic growth - or GDP - were just released. And I am thrilled to announce that, in the second quarter of this year, the United States economy grew at the amazing rate of 4.1 percent. We're on track to hit the highest annual average growth rate in over 13 years. And I will say this right now, and I'll say it strongly: As the trade deals come in one by one, we're going to go a lot higher than these numbers."

@williamb39198:
If you think I'm ignoring you, you're right.  And unless you can make a factual statement that addresses the topic or what I said I'll continue to do so.  I see no point in wasting my time explaining economics and/or the tax cuts to someone who obviously doesn't understand either but wants to ask questions about them in a weak attempt to change the subject.  If you want to change the subject, start a new thread.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 50

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

The only thing that I am going to argue is what Trump  stated'   that the economy grew "an amazing"  4.1 %. never  reached before   I am sure that all of you know for a fact that Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Obama  hit those numbers quite a bit during their Administration. so the word "amazing" is an exaggeration at this point in time.

"Never reached before" without adding "during my term" is not only an exaggeration, it's a flat out LIE.  But we've come to expect that with this clown.

I wonder how many of Trump Followers actually have researched that  statement.? is so easy to find out about what other Administrations have done by quarter that it seems to me not a very well constructed lie.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 50

@rker321 wrote:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors