Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Supreme Court hands Ohio victory for voter purge.

Message 1 of 10

@GailL1 wrote:

However, don't recall you detailing the details of your marriage but her name might have already been changed when she arrived with her passport - if so, they used the passport as the beginning point of her beginning here -'thus she didn't have to produce the marriage certificate.

We did use her  passport as a means to establish her identity.  If there was a name change, it wouldn't have been until she received naturalization.  We have been married over 46 years so laws have changed some.  And both has been registered to vote for at least 40 years, myself back over 60 years when I first took up residence in Texas, so I'm not sure now of what the proceedures were.

But my point is that I doubt it is as difficult as is posted to obtain documents here in Texas.  I have gone online in various counties here to obtain documents for various purposes and have had no difficulty at all.  Every county should have a site to obtain them for a nominal fee.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

I just went thru hell and ended up paying 80 .00 to vital stats in Texas for my daughter's marriage certificate. many things need to be simplify.  but I do feel that ID  is necessary to vote.

I don't recall either my wife or I being required to show our marriage certificate to register to vote here in Texas.  In fact the last time either of us had to produce it was right after we married when I had to show it to the military for her military ID and allowance for quarters.  That was in 1978.

To get a REAL ID, a person has to show who they are and how they became that person.  This includes any name changes for whatever the reason - if you and your wife are like many married couple here, she took your last name or hyphenated it with her maiden name -'either way,ma name change. Nsomshe most likely had to show the marriage certificate, but not you.

However, don't recall you detailing the details of your marriage but her name might have already been changed when she arrived with her passport - if so, they used the passport as the beginning point of her beginning here -'thus she didn't have to produce the marriage certificate.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@rker321 wrote:

I just went thru hell and ended up paying 80 .00 to vital stats in Texas for my daughter's marriage certificate. many things need to be simplify.  but I do feel that ID  is necessary to vote.

I don't recall either my wife or I being required to show our marriage certificate to register to vote here in Texas.  In fact the last time either of us had to produce it was right after we married when I had to show it to the military for her military ID and allowance for quarters.  That was in 1978.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

Gail  as I have told you I have a disable daughter, not mentally but physically, and she is registered to vote and has voted in all elections. yes, we have advise her previous addrtess of this

Now this would all be a mute subject if everyone could present ID  ;to be able to proff that they are. who they say they are.

I really don't see anything wrong with that.

and make it easy to be ablt to get Id's  and document copies of their bith certificates I just went thru hell and ended up paying 80 .00 to vital stats in Texas for my daughter's marriage certificate. many things need to be simplify.  but I do feel that ID  is necessary to vote.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@rker321

So who should report the removal of a person from the rolls who is registered to vote but can no longer make decisions for themselves - maybe dementia or something that renders this condition.

The responsible family member?

Their medical professional?

The facility where they live or where they are moved?

Same as most anything else, I assume - they have either a POA, Guardian or Conservator - to handle such matters - but currently I bet most don't.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The solution is obvious - The Democratic Party must return to the voter registration drives of the Civil Rights Movement and get their constitutents registered AND THEN GET THEM TO VOTE IN EVERY ELECTION.

They do and sometimes twice and even the dead are voting for Democrats.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Gail  I will agree with you, that personal responsibility is something foreign to most Americans.
LIke I have stated,  we blame Trump for everything under the sun  but rarely admit that he is a creation of what our society has become.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@Tom5678

Wouldn't it be so much better if a person retained responsibility for their voter registration.  The majority of people keep up with their drivers license location and permit.  We keep up with where we have our homestead exemption, if applicable.

We keep up with where our children are registered for school.

How many people make the effort to cancel their voter registration when they move out of a district or state?  How many people terminate via a death certificate the voter registration of a loved one who died - perhaps they have the responsibility of handling other affairs of the deceased.

Seems all we have to do is make keeping up with it an important responsibility and have a procedure by and between states and districts to follow through.

I lived in a college town once and volunteers to help with the voting.   You would not have believed how BIG our rolls were compared to the number of actual citizens, including current students.  People would just graduate or not, move away and their names just remained and remained.  Once we ran the list by address and just by looking at how many people lived at one address, we knew the problem.

Right now in my state, a voter card is not mailed out before every election unless there has been some change to it - state or federal district or polling place - do you think cards should be mailed out before every election with a request to bring it with you to vote or maybe just asking folks if all the info is current and for them to verify it by mailing it back?

Some people don't even change their name, if they did, when they get married - or divorced - they change it on everything else - Social Security card, tax document, employer files, drivers license but they forget to do it on their voter registration.

Heck, some people vote so rarely that they forget where they even registered - they check sometimes or just put in another registration - then the new registration has to be reaffirmed, asking them if they were previously registered at another address?

Perhaps a tattoo on their forehead would help them to remember what a wonderful responsibility it is and it should not be taken so lightly, so keep up with it, keep it current and change it as life happens - out with old and in with the new.

Would that be so hard for people to handle?  

Is that discriminatory ?  

We should all register to vote ONCE in our life and from then on, it should be updated with what happens in your life - kind of like registering for a Social Security number - once and done for most people, unless a big problem occurs

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

The solution is obvious - The Democratic Party must return to the voter registration drives of the Civil Rights Movement and get their constitutents registered AND THEN GET THEM TO VOTE IN EVERY ELECTION.

No more sitting it out because you don't think you really really love the Deomcrat on the ballot, no more can't be bothered with the lines - VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP!

Then you can have elected representatives who want MORE people to vote so they'll extend voting hours and multiply voting locations and issue State IDs with a 5 year expiration date to every 16-year-old kid in highschool.  Do not expect any of those things to happen if you allow Republicans to continue to steal elections by cheating.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Supreme Court hands Ohio victory for voter purge.

Message 10 of 10

It was a close 5-4 decision, but this is not good news for Dems. or Independants, and you can count more GOP controlled states will follow suit. They have run into problems gerry mandering now, so will look more towards the courts  for other options, it appears. GOP knows they can only win elections by either gerrymandering or suppressing the vote, or BOTH.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/ohio-wins-supreme-court-fight-over-voter-registration...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs