Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Suppression of 1st Amendment rights "for a good cause" ?

Message 11 of 13

@FredSmif wrote:

I'm somewhat away from the fray at the moment, spending a month with family in Canada. But this revelatory article from The Intercept really steams me and I wanted to share my steam.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/

Article provides details of a new "Oath" that employees of State of Texas must sign to assure continued employment. This is an oath not to support a boycott of products produced by Israel.

Okay, there are pros and cons to supporting Israelis. I get it. But this is not really the point from this article. The article goes on to point out that these "purity oaths" are nothing new, many US states now have similar laws and a number of other states are planning them. The two groups together is a gross majority of the states.

The article (and interviewees therein) point out that such laws are not in the spirit of the 1st Amendment. In fact, there are no similar laws prohibiting boycotts of other groups or states. Oh, except for other US States! ...a number of US States that have the anti-boycott law favoring Israel are quite happy to impose boycotts of their own on other US States for various reasons. I would call this a "double standard".

I've read about the anti-boycott laws favoring Israel, these have been brewing for several years. This particular article is interesting as it starts with the situation of a particular US citizen, describing how her own rights are violated and constrained, then goes into more generalization. A good summation of this issue.

I really hate this Orwellian/McCarthyian world that is US politics now.

Edit to add from the article:

"Whether or not you agree with her political view about Israel and Palestine, every American with an even minimal belief in the value of free speech should be vocally denouncing the attack on Amawi’s free speech rights and other Americans who are being similarly oppressed by these Israel-protecting censorship laws in the U.S.

As these Israel oath laws have proliferated, some commentators from across the ideological spectrum have noted what a profound threat to free speech they pose."

Wow Thanks for this info.

Totally un-American

Can you imagine what this Country would look like if Republicans were allowed to Govern without opposition

This is the most basic example of Crony Capitalism

I'm sure they will extend this to interpreting buying anything not made in Israel as breaking their oath

How can Texans & these other States Citizens allow this kind of stuff -

SHEEP THATS HOW

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Suppression of 1st Amendment rights "for a good cause" ?

Message 12 of 13

Ths is Texas. Like most conservatives, the government there thinks the Bill of Rights starts with #2.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Suppression of 1st Amendment rights "for a good cause" ?

Message 13 of 13

I'm somewhat away from the fray at the moment, spending a month with family in Canada. But this revelatory article from The Intercept really steams me and I wanted to share my steam.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/

Article provides details of a new "Oath" that employees of State of Texas must sign to assure continued employment. This is an oath not to support a boycott of products produced by Israel.

Okay, there are pros and cons to supporting Israelis. I get it. But this is not really the point from this article. The article goes on to point out that these "purity oaths" are nothing new, many US states now have similar laws and a number of other states are planning them. The two groups together is a gross majority of the states.

The article (and interviewees therein) point out that such laws are not in the spirit of the 1st Amendment. In fact, there are no similar laws prohibiting boycotts of other groups or states. Oh, except for other US States! ...a number of US States that have the anti-boycott law favoring Israel are quite happy to impose boycotts of their own on other US States for various reasons. I would call this a "double standard".

I've read about the anti-boycott laws favoring Israel, these have been brewing for several years. This particular article is interesting as it starts with the situation of a particular US citizen, describing how her own rights are violated and constrained, then goes into more generalization. A good summation of this issue.

I really hate this Orwellian/McCarthyian world that is US politics now.

Edit to add from the article:

"Whether or not you agree with her political view about Israel and Palestine, every American with an even minimal belief in the value of free speech should be vocally denouncing the attack on Amawi’s free speech rights and other Americans who are being similarly oppressed by these Israel-protecting censorship laws in the U.S.

As these Israel oath laws have proliferated, some commentators from across the ideological spectrum have noted what a profound threat to free speech they pose."

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors