Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Suppression of 1st Amendment rights "for a good cause" ?

Message 1 of 13

Thank you for your article, there are so many tings that are happening in this country and that the majority of citizens don't know that it behave us to find out what is going on right now in this country.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

Yes, it’s in Maryland. An executive action taken by a Republican  governor. The state cannot do business with another business that engages in BDS.

But yes, several Democrats support it. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@H2Oh wrote:

Ths is Texas. Like most conservatives, the government there thinks the Bill of Rights starts with #2.

The article begins with the case in Texas, true. But such laws exist in 26 states already, with 13 states having similar laws pending or introduced. Some of the states enacted the laws under Democratic governance. So this is an issue that cuts across political parties.

I generally lean toward the Democratic party (even to the farther left side) but stuff like this makes me remember why I sometimes think of going off to the Libertarian party (a recent TV show reminded me of why I do "these folks are libertarian, they don't like being told what to do"). OTOH, I can't abide the economic policies of the Libertarian party.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@FredSmif Very interesting.  My mind takes me to the whole Citizens United and how the whole statement was given to corporate America's voice as one. One voice but such power with all the money that can back that voice?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Erosion of our rights is still an erosion of our rights no matter if it is fast or slow, behind the curtain or front stage. It’s up to us to recognize it and to denounce it. 

It is our right! And we must protect our rights...even against our own president. 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Trump has done what Texas is doing all his business life. If you worked for Trump you signed all kinds of legal papers about never talking about him or his operations. He wanted to bring that to the WH, and might have even though I heard he was stopped by his legal people. If he becomes full Dictator this type of agreement will be standard just as it is with all far right governments. It might not be written but will be in the law of the land. Follow what happened in Germany in the run up to Hitler.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

Of course, it's wrong.  I doubt that you will find a conservative here who supports it.   I don't have a double standard.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Yes, it’s bad, unfair, unconstitutional, and illogical. I had a job in politics where I agreed to not engage in any political activity of any sort.  Not even a yard sign at my house. But it made sense because I was nonpartisan staff.  

This oath makes no sense at all.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@H2Oh wrote:

Ths is Texas. Like most conservatives, the government there thinks the Bill of Rights starts with #2.

Lol. This comment made my day.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

I really hate this Orwellian/McCarthyian world that is US politics now.

The purge has been going on since FDR died, hopefully Trump is the conclusion.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors