Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Super Bowl Ad by E-TRADE

Message 1 of 7

@MaVolta wrote:

I took it for what it was - an ad targeting the young working crowd who are not likely saving for retirement. It was a wake-up call; trying to work when you get older certainly gets more challenging. The youngsters won't likely be getting much help, if any, in terms of Social Security either, and the retirement age may be raised to 70 for many of them. I don't think it was meant as a slam against seniors who work, but I can understand how some might see it as being offensive.

I thought DJ Nanna was pretty clever.

And they all seemed to be enjoying themselves in their own way.  Some folks just see the negative where there really isn't much at all....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

I took it for what it was - an ad targeting the young working crowd who are not likely saving for retirement. It was a wake-up call; trying to work when you get older certainly gets more challenging. The youngsters won't likely be getting much help, if any, in terms of Social Security either, and the retirement age may be raised to 70 for many of them. I don't think it was meant as a slam against seniors who work, but I can understand how some might see it as being offensive.

I thought DJ Nanna was pretty clever.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

I don't think the situation indicates a loser than someone who's company goes bankrupt and takes the pension down with them.  In this case, it is a strikingly visual way of demonstrating the grasshopper and the ant phenomenon. 

There was a study a few years back about washing hands in bathrooms.  Putting up signs which said "Please remember to wash your hands" did almost nothing. 

Putting up a sign in the men's room that said "Wash them now or eat it later" increased hand washing by a huge percentage.  You have to present your message properly. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

My favorite E-Trade commercial was actually a parody about their ads. Link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrpROr9Gmk

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I guess if you look deep enough you can see a loser angle. I didn't. I just laughed at the lady window cleaner.

There was a time when E-Trade used the "baby E-Trader" to encourage people to buy and sell their own stocks. I don't think that's the safest way to save for retirement. Too many fees. 

Here's one of those baby E-Trader ads....

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@eo3473 wrote:

Many people watched the advertisement from E-TRADE during the Super Bowl.

Personally, I found it very offensive. The premise was that if you are a senior and you have to go back to work, you're a loser; if you don't want to end up a loser like these people you should invest in the stock market. Cheap shot! Not everyone has has had money to set aside or invest. I'm not one of them, but I certainly don't think it's fair to attempt to further marginalize the poor. Since when is it ok to make fun of seniors for something they can now do nothing about? I agree that this form of discrimination against seniors is rampant! 

Hi, eo.....is this the ad you are referring to?

I don't see this ad as you do.  There's no reference to "loser".  That "feeling", IMO would be self-inflected if anyone thought that way.  We make our own bed.....we gotta lie in it as well, right?  Is the ad realistic?  Sure......so why take offense?  And besides, I doubt we are the target audience.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Super Bowl Ad by E-TRADE

Message 7 of 7

Many people watched the advertisement from E-TRADE during the Super Bowl.

Personally, I found it very offensive. The premise was that if you are a senior and you have to go back to work, you're a loser; if you don't want to end up a loser like these people you should invest in the stock market. Cheap shot! Not everyone has has had money to set aside or invest. I'm not one of them, but I certainly don't think it's fair to attempt to further marginalize the poor. Since when is it ok to make fun of seniors for something they can now do nothing about? I agree that this form of discrimination against seniors is rampant! 

Kudos
Views
Replies