Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Student walkout cancelled after shooting threat

Message 1 of 15

@GailL1wrote:

Maybe the voting age needs to be changed too based on your information.

Also the age of joining the military, driving a car, getting married and perhaps even having sex because of the potential consequences.

Well, definitely the age at which you can enter a school and slaughter 17 children using a weapon custom designed to kill or maim as many human beings as possible. Not elk, not deer, not bears, but human beings and especially effective against children. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

@john258

@GailL1

My comments on brain development are scientifically-based. Please feel free to look it up.

I am more than amazed at the maturity and commonsense of the students of Parkland. 

With reference to brain development,  even though adolescents do not have full capacity with regard to making sound judgments and fully realizing the consequences,  this does not mean that they are incapable of making good decisions when having had good guidance, and/or seen the consequences of violent actions firsthand.

Possibly if people who make gun laws knew scientifically-based facts such as I have presented, there would be less hesitation with regard to raising the age at which one could own a firearm. 

With regard to the snide comments about getting married and so forth, I feel that to lessen the importance of knowledge with regard the development of the human brain indicates a glaring lack of understanding as to why raising the age at which one can have a fireman is so important.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@GailL1wrote:

@phyllisc6781wrote:

The brain of the human  adolescent doesn’t mature by the age of 18. For  a female,  the brain reaches maturity – – and the capability to make sound decisions and realize the consequences at 21.

For a male the age is 25. All the more reason to raise the age of ownership for all guns.

Also the age of joining the military, driving a car, getting married and perhaps even having sex because of the potential consequences.

If you have watched these kids from the school in FL on TV they are really great. They know what needs to be done and they are doing it. They have already changed the FL gun laws so they are improved. I hope they stay involved in Govt. as they will change FL which badly needs help right now. I hope some of them move to North FL and settle in. That part of FL right now is a total mess with all the right wing in power. The kids will end that and thinking people will once again be governing FL. It would be great if some of them went to rural AL, and GA as it is a bad as North FL right now. The whole country would benefit. No the voting age does not need to change. What needs to change is the education level so there are less  right wing to wreck everything.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@phyllisc6781wrote:

The brain of the human  adolescent doesn’t mature by the age of 18. For  a female,  the brain reaches maturity – – and the capability to make sound decisions and realize the consequences at 21.

For a male the age is 25. All the more reason to raise the age of ownership for all guns.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@GailL1wrote:

Turns out it was a student, just mouthing off but now he is in real trouble with a felony charge - no gun was found.

There have been many of these threats across the country and all of the ones they have located have turned out to be minors.

So in this regards, I don't see any blame to the gun crowd - perhaps a better focus is the parents of these kids who are making these threats.   What is going on with these kids????

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article205085144.html

This also tells you how many nut cases there are in our world and why the banning of semi automatic weapons would save lives. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

@Richvawrote:

This KID did not come to these actions and opinions in a vacuum.  These are the people who fight against gun control.  

Every school day in the week after Feb. 14, the day of the attack at the Florida high school, at least 50 threats or violent incidents at schools were reported across the country, according to the Educator’s School Safety Network, an advocacy organization that has tracked news reports of threats and violence since 2016. Normally, the group records an average of 10 to 12 incidents a day. The group’s count includes many incidents that turn out to be false alarms or hoaxes.

Experts said that the sharp increase in threats and false alarms in the days since the Florida shooting reflects the unusually intense public conversation and media coverage that have unfolded since that attack. In the tense days that have followed, the experts said, teenagers are borrowing the language of school shootings to provoke or cause turmoil. And anxious school employees are on high alert, watchful for any sign of a potential shooter and quick to summon the police over behavior that, in a different moment, might have been overlooked.

NYT 02/25/2018 - After Parkland, a Flood of New Threats, Tips and False Alarms

The group said an average of 10 - 12 per day from across the country - Yes, we have a problem and it is not just guns.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@GailL1wrote:

This KID who made the threat didn't give a reason - perhaps he just picked the day for maximum notoriety - I read nothing on his motive.

Threats like these are going on all the time, somewhere.  Sad, isn't it - but many times it is just a threat with no gun action - the threat itself is a person problem and hopefully it goes no further and they get help.

This KID did not come to these actions and opinions in a vacuum.  These are the people who fight against gun control.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

There are physical reasons for mental illness.  Some have to do with the actual structure of the brain affecting how the brain can actually function.  Some have to do with the way our body chemistry and neural impulses cause the brain to function.  Some are correctible, some are not.   

Other reasons for so-called mental illnesses exist we haven't yet been smart or experienced enough to identify, qualify, quantify and categorize so we can put people into a convenient box and say...."that's it".

In this debate, mental illness is being used as a straw-man.  It is one factor and one factor only. It would be absurd not to address 'mental health' as a contributing factor to the overall problem.  It all has to be paid for.  There are other contributing factors, equally important, that need to be addressed GIVEN that mental illness is not going away just because you point to it and say, "BAD BOY".

It all costs money and it all has to be paid for. The CYNIC will glibly say, "I'm not crazy, why should I pay?"  That's debatable to start with, but let's play. A compelling reason is that it is crucial to the well-being of the society we all live in. 

Hard to sell that idea to someone who doesn't 'believe' in society in the first place.  That is unless they can or do benefit personally from it.  They will then deny that they do....and they have a purpose to do that too. There is a medical term for that mental condition.

To threaten or kill any living being without cause just might be deranged in the overall view of the public. IF so, that makes it abnormal.  In any case, it makes no rational sense to kill for self-gratification or public approbriation. That makes that crazy.  I said that.

Sport killing for the 'thrill of the kill', 'trophy kills', 'rite of passage', 'recreation', 'challenge', and a slug of other 'reasons' would qualify as deranged under that criteria.  After Korea I never again hunted or fished for anything I didn't intend to eat OR that posed a threat I could not tolerate. I suggest the movie "The Deer Hunter" to further explain.  It's adequate to the task, but not full sufficient. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

Kids are just being kids, until they aren't.  

A SRO in Michigan forced a school lockdown to keep the studenr in the classroom..is thar what some are suggesting, making schools like prisons?

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

@Richvawrote:

These are the people who are against gun contol. 

This KID who made the threat didn't give a reason - perhaps he just picked the day for maximum notoriety - I read nothing on his motive.

Threats like these are going on all the time, somewhere.  Sad, isn't it - but many times it is just a threat with no gun action - the threat itself is a person problem and hopefully it goes no further and they get help.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors