Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 21 of 29

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s about making it affordable enough women that can purchase it.  They won’t use what they can’t afford. 

Think that goes without saying - the price often has to be competitive to succeed when introduced in the market.  But there are other cost that also must be considered - while a doctor check up should be done before choosing a birth control method - hopefully, if going on The Pill, repeated visits for an Rx renewal won't be required.  There also won't be any copays and the female consumer can shop around easily for the best price - then there is always "SALES" and coupons.

Plus I look at the cost it will save other (insured) consumers (premium cost) if it is not covered anymore under health insurance.  If they have a FSA, they most likely will be covered under that type of plan as other OTC meds are.

Convenience (saving time) is also a big deal to many younger women in today's busy society.

Gail is obvioulsy a Pharmaceutical Lobbyist - but B4 I get to that - I'd really like someone to explain to me how in the same Poll - and I'm assuming the same respondents & I'm also assuming the respondents would have been primarily Woman

1. found that 74 percent of women favored making oral contraceptive pills available over the counter.

2. 75 percent of women surveyed said that their insurance fully covered the costs of prescription birth control, up from just 45 percent in 2013.

Why Would a Group of Woman who already get their Prescriptions paid for by their Health Insurance - a Benefit they Already pay for by Premium and Co-pay - want to Stop getting the medication discounted and start paying OTC Retail?

Do the Woman Polled understand the Question and what would happen if the Birth Control was No Longer Covered by their Insurance or more likely the Cost of it even with a Rx would be 3 times what it is now

This same exact thing happened with Omeprazole - i.e. Prilosec - BTW - available to the Public since 1989 not exaclty a Drug still trying to recoup Research costs

I used to get a 30 day Supply (60 pills) of Omeprazole for a $3 Co-pay for over a Decade - then over a 5 year period - Omeprazole for some strange reason went from a $3 Co-pay to $10 to $15 to now over $50

And - I still have to fight with my Dr and my Insurance Company to continue getting the Rx because the OTC - DOES NOT WORK

I have had this same experience with Multiple other drugs

So lets say we get Birth Control OTC - and like all the other Generics - they Do Not Work As Well as the RX Version

How do we prove that?

Well you didn't follow the Directions Properly and how Costly is that Litigation going to B for a Woman who already finds the Cost Prohibitive

So Gail the Pharmaceutical Rep thinks Woman should - Step Up - Take Control of their Own Lives

Of course what she is really saying - Healthcare is a Privledge for the Privledged - the same as Tax Cuts - College Admissions - Bulk Purchasing - The Finest K-12 Schooling - Vacations to Exotic and Historical Locations - the best CPA's - Lawyers - Financial Advisors - sustainable energy solutions requiring substantial upfront investment - the best medical care

Gail Mentions - Sales & Coupons - You know I have here another Anecdotal Experience

Probiotics was all the Rage so on the advice of my Gastroenterologist I tried Probiotics - very very expensive OTC Supplements - CVS would have a 2 for 1 or buy 1 get 1/2 off etc. - ever try to keep track of these deals - they last a few days typically - you have to buy more than you need for a month - they need to be refreigerated and the regular retail cost for a 30 day supply - $1 a day

Minimum Wage is $7.25 hour x 40 hours = $290 a week B4 Taxes

So lets Summarize monthly so far out of my approx. $1200 month B4 Taxes

$50 - Omeprazole

$50 - Birth Control

$30 - Probiotic

$20 - BP Meds

$150/month and I haven't even had a Bottle of Water or any Protein - paid my rent - phone - car - insurance - groceries - clothing - car repairs - safety inspections

Yup no doubt about it

Gail is once again highlighting the 2 distinct classes of Americans

And of course being a expert in the Insurance/pharmaceutical industry allows some to use terms like FSA's as if someone making $7.25 a hour is on a FSA whatever that is

I'm on Medicare A - I tried selecting more but there are Medicare B - Medigap - Medicare Advantage - Medicare Supplementals - all with the same Alpha Codes that mean totally different things between each plan

So No - I'm Afraid I see No Benefit in getting my Birth Control over the Counter and not one of my 3 Daughters is on board either

At Sam's Club, you will find generic Omeprazole for $12 for 42 pills.  The same generic Omeprazole at WalMart is $14.  Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks - but the Generic does not work - it's as useless as a Placebo

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 22 of 29

@mickstuder wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s about making it affordable enough women that can purchase it.  They won’t use what they can’t afford. 

Think that goes without saying - the price often has to be competitive to succeed when introduced in the market.  But there are other cost that also must be considered - while a doctor check up should be done before choosing a birth control method - hopefully, if going on The Pill, repeated visits for an Rx renewal won't be required.  There also won't be any copays and the female consumer can shop around easily for the best price - then there is always "SALES" and coupons.

Plus I look at the cost it will save other (insured) consumers (premium cost) if it is not covered anymore under health insurance.  If they have a FSA, they most likely will be covered under that type of plan as other OTC meds are.

Convenience (saving time) is also a big deal to many younger women in today's busy society.

Gail is obvioulsy a Pharmaceutical Lobbyist - but B4 I get to that - I'd really like someone to explain to me how in the same Poll - and I'm assuming the same respondents & I'm also assuming the respondents would have been primarily Woman

1. found that 74 percent of women favored making oral contraceptive pills available over the counter.

2. 75 percent of women surveyed said that their insurance fully covered the costs of prescription birth control, up from just 45 percent in 2013.

Why Would a Group of Woman who already get their Prescriptions paid for by their Health Insurance - a Benefit they Already pay for by Premium and Co-pay - want to Stop getting the medication discounted and start paying OTC Retail?

Do the Woman Polled understand the Question and what would happen if the Birth Control was No Longer Covered by their Insurance or more likely the Cost of it even with a Rx would be 3 times what it is now

This same exact thing happened with Omeprazole - i.e. Prilosec - BTW - available to the Public since 1989 not exaclty a Drug still trying to recoup Research costs

I used to get a 30 day Supply (60 pills) of Omeprazole for a $3 Co-pay for over a Decade - then over a 5 year period - Omeprazole for some strange reason went from a $3 Co-pay to $10 to $15 to now over $50

And - I still have to fight with my Dr and my Insurance Company to continue getting the Rx because the OTC - DOES NOT WORK

So lets say we get Birth Control OTC - and like all the other Generics - they Do Not Work As Well as the RX Version

How do we prove that?

Well you didn't follow the Directions Properly and how Costly is that Litigation going to B for a Woman who already finds the Cost Prohibitive

So Gail the Pharmaceutical Rep thinks Woman should - Step Up - Take Control of their Own Lives

Of course what she is really saying - Healthcare is a Privledge for the Privledged - the same as Tax Cuts - College Admissions - Bulk Purchasing - The Finest K-12 Schooling - Vacations to Exotic and Historical Locations - the best CPA's - Lawyers - Financial Advisors - sustainable energy solutions requiring substantial upfront investment - the best medical care

Gail Mentions - Sales & Coupons - You know I have here another Anecdotal Experience

Probiotics was all the Rage so on the advice of my Gastroenterologist I tried Probiotics - very very expensive OTC Supplements - CVS would have a 2 for 1 or buy 1 get 1/2 off etc. - ever try to keep track of these deals - they last a few days typically - you have to buy more than you need for a month - they need to be refreigerated and the regular retail cost for a 30 day supply - $1 a day

$50 - Omeprazole

$50 - Birth Control

$30 - Probiotic

$20 - BP Meds

$150/month and I haven't even had a Bottle of Water or any Protein - paid my rent - phone - car - insurance - groceries - clothing - car repairs - safety inspections

Yup no doubt about it

And of course being a expert in the Insurance/pharmaceutical industry allows some to use terms like FSA's as if someone making $7.25 a hour is on a FSA whatever that is

I'm on Medicare A - I tried selecting more but there are Medicare B - Medigap - Medicare Advantage - Medicare Supplementals - all with the same Alpha Codes that mean totally different things between each plan

So No - I'm Afraid I see No Benefit in getting my Birth Control over the Counter and not one of my 3 Daughters is on board either

At Sam's Club, you will find generic Omeprazole for $12 for 42 pills.  The same generic Omeprazole at WalMart is $14.  Hope that helps somewhat.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 29

@gruffstuff wrote:

: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Women can buy morning after pills at most WalMarts without a prescription, so why not birth control pills?

Allow people to use HSA accounts  purchased though the ACA  to buy them.

Think about HSA accounts though the ACA for Medicaid recipients.

Perhaps credit those HSA accounts X amount of dollars for the very poor.

Stop smoking, give up the addiction of nicotine, alcohol, opioids, lose weight, exercise,  improve you're health, and just keep the HSA money for old age or disability.

Yeah and while you're at all that - trade the XYZ for the TBD and then one of your local Pharmacies might offer a PDQ - if not - Sams Clubs has a ROFL and Very Large Shopping Carts

See this is the problem

Everyone who has been fortunate enough to be in the top 40% - got a College Degree worked in some Professional Organization - Banking Insurance Finance Accounting - assumes we all have the same level of expertise & experience

HINT - A majority of Americans are in the 60% - No College - No Professional Organization Experience - No Time For Obtaining Degrees in Acronyms

I could sit here & type a whole bunch of Acronyms and Terminology in some area where I am expert in that I'll bet 60% of the Members would have No Idea What I'm Talking About

Just in this Thread alone - we have a Group of Woman taking a Survey where

74% of Woman were in favor of making Birth Control available over the Counter

The same Group of Woman said their Health Insurance Already Paid 4 - FULLY COVERED THE COST OF their Birth Control

Apparently this group of Woman doesn;t even understand the implications of their choices - the questions or both

So we are going to support a group of I'm assuming typical Woman giving up Free Birth Control in Favor of Paying Retail Cost for their Birth Control - with - No Reduction in their Health Insurance Costs?

That sounds reasonable to ya'll ??

Well if that does - you'll probably Love This from the Home Page of AARP - again another Woman but my Father in Law gets calls like this all the time & has No Idea Whats Going On

THIS IS THE LEVEL OF LIFES EXPERIENCES OF A MAJORITY OF AMERICANS

THIS IS THE LEVEL OF - COMMON SENSE POSSESED BY A MAJORITY OF AMERICANS

THE SAME GROUP OF AMERICANS WHO ARE BUYING TICKETS TO HEAVEN

When Denise McKendry entered the Kroger store in Midlothian, Va., on Feb. 25, the schoolteacher was visibly distraught. She was on her cellphone, talking to a man who had identified himself as Officer Johnson from the IRS.

He had explained, in threatening and sometimes nasty terms, that McKendry owed $5,207 in back taxes and that she’d be arrested if she did not pay it off.

Fortunately, thanks to an arrangement among Google, the IRS and her local police department, she could easily make a down payment on her debt and avoid jail.

All she had to do was buy two $500 Google Play gift cards and read their code numbers to him over the phone.

But as McKendry, who is in her 50s, tried to buy the cards by check, the clerk at the customer service counter got suspicious: “Do you know where these are going? How they are going to be used?”

After a pause, she nodded yes. “OK, good,” he replied, “because we get a lot of scams and they use these Google prepaid cards.” McKendry covered her phone so Officer Johnson wouldn’t hear.

“Please help me,” she mouthed. She and the clerk went to the store manager, Tim Day, who explained that she was being scammed and had her hang up. The effort to separate McKendry from her money was over.

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 29

: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Women can buy morning after pills at most WalMarts without a prescription, so why not birth control pills?

Allow people to use HSA accounts  purchased though the ACA  to buy them.

Think about HSA accounts though the ACA for Medicaid recipients.

Perhaps credit those HSA accounts X amount of dollars for the very poor.

Stop smoking, give up the addiction of nicotine, alcohol, opioids, lose weight, exercise,  improve you're health, and just keep the HSA money for old age or disability.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

How do we prove that?

$50 - Omeprazole

$50 - Birth Control

$30 - Probiotic

$20 - BP Meds

Yup no doubt about it

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I will say again. The far right Christians behind the current drive to end abortions in Reb. States sees that as its first objective. Step 2 you now see in play in MO. which is moving to further control this area by using rules from the State Health Dept. The rules required a pelvic exam then a 3 day wait. There is no medical reason for that exam as one is given the day of the procedure. The court has blocked it for now. If Mo. wins the stage is set for the State to control by rule any medical procedure. One of the next steps after that will be to not allow the sale of any type of Birth Control including pills. If you really want to help women keep control of their bodies then STOP the effort of the far Christian Reb. right now, and stop dreaming of how to get their step 1.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 29

@ManicProgressive wrote:

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 29

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 29 of 29

YaHoo News 06/12/2019 - Ted Cruz wants to join AOC to legalize over-the-counter birth control

Politics is making strange bedfellows again out of archconservative Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and far-left liberal Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

Two weeks after making headlines for a pledge to work together on legislation prohibiting members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, Cruz and Ocasio-Cortez are on the same side of another issue.

Cruz reached out to the freshman lawmaker Wednesday on Twitter in response to a tweet in which she called for birth control to be made available over the counter.

YES - Makes Sense.

. . . .  Proponents of making birth control an over-the-counter medication say that women face higher costs from doctor’s visits and insurance copayments than they would if the pill were simply available without a prescription. On the other hand, insurance plans with drug coverage may cover birth control prescriptions, whereas over-the-counter drugs are usually paid for out of pocket.

Cruz is adopting a position already held by some Republicans who want to make birth control pills easier to obtain in order to reduce the number of abortions. In April, Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, and Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., introduced a bill titled the Allowing Greater Access to Safe and Effective Contraception Act, which would fast-track the process of converting the pill into an over-the-counter medication.

Planned Parenthood has opposed such legislation, saying on its website that it would “force women to go back to the days when they paid out of pocket for birth control — which can cost upwards of $600 a year.”

This sounds like they aren't so much for stopping un-intended pregnancies but for keeping subsidies for them.  Come on, Women, Step Up - take Control of your own lives !

Republicans have also sought to amend the Affordable Care Act so that patients could use flexible spending accounts and health savings accounts to pay for birth control. Some Democrats argue that such moves are designed to further undermine the ACA and would ultimately drive up costs for birth control.

A 2017 survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 74 percent of women favored making oral contraceptive pills available over the counter. In the same poll, however, 75 percent of women surveyed said that their insurance fully covered the costs of prescription birth control, up from just 45 percent in 2013.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies